Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tolian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2005, 6:22 am

I'm beginning to suspect it does. What other explanation is there for the shifts in severity of my conditions, and the rare peaks of near-normality? I did a search on GFCF diet on Google and it's all linked to Autism. Has someone tried this?

Wait, never mind.

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2005, 9:29 am

I have no idea.

Naturally I am a really heavy animal flesh eater, eating steak and fried chicken and etc. Very light on carbos or veggies. Someone else mentioned that I seem to be on the atkin's diet - but I was on it before I ever heard of the name atkins!

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2005, 10:15 pm

i'm on the heavy carbs diet (my mom is italian so we have pasta like ALL THE TIME) and i love sugar! i eat a lot of fruits and salad on occasion. meat like once a day. but yeah i wanna be healthier

anarkhos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Dec 2005, 6:53 pm

You know, there are many italian dishes which don't involve pasta. Italy did exist before Marco Polo. Traditional italian cuisine is very healthy in fact.

anarkhos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Dec 2005, 7:03 pm

Hrm, I just did some research and the whole Marco Polo introducing pasta thing is an urban myth.

Anyway, eat more antipasti :)

psych
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2005, 2:21 am

Im GF/CF and also nightshade free. Started about two days after i diagnosed (5 weeks ago), so i really cant say for sure what difference its made, it been a turbulent time anyway. As soon as i read about it, something clicked because a) i am hypersensitive to opiates anyway b) nearly every meal was based around wheat/ dairy food groups c) Worse even than that, Id been ordering raw casien by the boxload! :roll: :lol:

If anyone wants to try GF/CF, anticipate opiod withdrawal, just in case. I dont think its dangerous, but if youve got responsibilities a gradual approach might be wise. And i hope you like rice!

btw the Nightshade thing is probably more of an aversion. Im just not comfortable around that family of plants. Even tomatoes have poison in (solanine/nicotine)

Last edited by psych on 25 Dec 2005, 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2005, 2:25 am

Larval wrote:
I have no idea.

Naturally I am a really heavy animal flesh eater, eating steak and fried chicken and etc. Very light on carbos or veggies. Someone else mentioned that I seem to be on the atkin's diet - but I was on it before I ever heard of the name atkins!

ketogenic (low carb) dieting is dangerous in the long term.

anarkhos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Dec 2005, 2:36 am

psych wrote:
ketogenic (low carb) dieting is dangerous in the long term.

Says who?

Carbs are generally useless beyond a small amount. The nervous system needs carbs, but if you aren't fainting from low blood-sugar it's not a problem.

It's not like carbs are nutritious. It's just energy.

Most meat-eaters get plenty of carbs anyway, from starchy foods like potatoes.

Most people who criticize low-carb diets are usually complaining about meat, which has gotten a bad rap. There's nothing wrong with, for example, cholesterol. The early studies done by dietitians to demonize cholesterol were seriously flawed and purposely so. The fact of the matter is no statistically significant link between high-cholesterol diets and heart disease has been found.

If you want a strong heart, use it more often.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2005, 3:22 am

Wrong on so many levels. Too much meat and very little carbs is obviously bad for you as is high colestorol. Most meat, is full of chemicals and from poorly kept, mass produced sisgusting conditions anyway , especially in the cheap joints like McDonalds. Protein is hard to digest and rots the guts if you eat too much, particularly when it's cheap red meat. Saying that, i love my meat but end up with constipation if i eat too much with not enough veg and carbs.

anarkhos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Dec 2005, 3:34 am

I don't eat fast food. I'm not sure I would call that stuff meat anyway--who knows what it is. It certainly has many times the calories of real meat.

One's inability to digest meat is sometimes due to what you eat it with. For example you shouldn't eat meat with potatoes because potatoes digest in the stomach while meat does so in the intestine. Also foods high in fat can be difficult to digest. I tend to eat lean meat.

Cholesterol has gotten a bad rap, and for no other reason than prejudice by dietitians (like the infamous Ancel Keys) who made up their minds before looking at the data. Cholesterol is actually very good for the body, and a necessary part of nutrition. Not only this, anti-cholesterol drugs have been shown to be very dangerous.

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndisea ... olest.html

anarkhos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Dec 2005, 3:36 am

PS: Ever see bushmen hunt on TV? They devour so much (raw) flesh in one sitting that their bellies extend. That's our heritage right there. We're designed to eat lots of meat in one sitting.

They don't mix it with potatoes though.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2005, 3:45 am

It's not just fast-food that has dubious and unhealthy practise though, it's most supermarket and processed meat. As a person of Irish stock it would be sacreligious to eat meat without any spuds. I will look into your links in the morning and take them into account (along with the growing body of evidence that suggests too much cholestorol is bad for you) when i come to my own independant conclusion another time. This wretched site has already got me up way past my bedtime.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 11:19 pm

eamonn wrote:
It's not just fast-food that has dubious and unhealthy practise though, it's most supermarket and processed meat. .

you can take some comfort in knowing the EU bans meat imports from various countries (including USA). I think the official reasoning behind this is the artificially inflated levels of sex hormones.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 8:34 pm

I don't notice that any ASPIE-related symptoms of mine increase or decrease with diet, BUT, I can feel really, really depressed if I haven't eaten properly. I asked my mom if this happens to her too and she said it does. I kind of joked about it with her, referencing Bridget Jones, who said that she had, somerhwere alone the line, forgotten that food and calories were supposed to actually SUSTAIN life, rather than interfere with it. ((Only up to a point, of course, but still- when you diet long enough, you can wind up equating eating healthy with eating as little as possible))

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2006, 2:28 am

Serissa wrote:
I don't notice that any ASPIE-related symptoms of mine increase or decrease with diet, BUT, I can feel really, really depressed if I haven't eaten properly. I asked my mom if this happens to her too and she said it does. I kind of joked about it with her, referencing Bridget Jones, who said that she had, somerhwere alone the line, forgotten that food and calories were supposed to actually SUSTAIN life, rather than interfere with it. ((Only up to a point, of course, but still- when you diet long enough, you can wind up equating eating healthy with eating as little as possible))

that's what i'm going for. and yeah i get really depressed if i eat too many sweets, isn't that weird? maybe it just happens to everyone in a way with different foods.

but i'm always wasting all my money on food so i need a way to eat not so much but still have energy. i've found what works is if you get like a little bag of peanuts or soemthing and eat that gradually through the day and then eat like a salad or something for lunch.

that's what i wanna do at least...

muddlinthrough
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2006, 4:16 pm

anarkhos wrote:
PS: Ever see bushmen hunt on TV? They devour so much (raw) flesh in one sitting that their bellies extend. That's our heritage right there. We're designed to eat lots of meat in one sitting.

They don't mix it with potatoes though.

I like meat,but something like 80% of protein in the Bushman's diet was ground nuts (magono Nuts?)
there is a famous film of Bushman bringing down a geraffe-it took them several days,and according to one
of my anthro intstuctors, the film crew actually shot it at the end because they couldn't bare to watch it being tormented by these little guys with spears anymore.

Looks like women actually harvested most of the protein in hunter-gatherer societies,and most of it was from vegetation.
(But yes, you eat as much meat as you can when you have it and can't store it.)