What kind of jobs out there don't require much social intera

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mophesh
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Feb 2009, 5:52 pm

I'm 17, and I feel that I need to get a job. However, I hate having to interact with people. Does anyone have any idea of a job that a high-schooler like me can get that doesn't require one to interact with people very much?

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 7:10 pm

Maybe some job in Forestry, working on a fish farm or something along those lines

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 7:28 pm

A stock worker, librarian, pizza delivery driver, mail carrier, or janitor.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 7:38 pm

I tutor students on-line from my home computer. It's perfect for me!

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 7:43 pm

driving jobs

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 8:56 pm

Depends on how you define it. Maybe lighthouse keeper, if they still had that as a job.
Tech support (phone based), but you'd have to move to the other side of the planet to find a job doing it.

Drakshin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2009, 9:03 pm

well, mikebw wrote "mail carrier".

I'd assume that it was meant to point towards the people who separate, direct and transport mail inside the postal offices. (this is not meat to be any kind of negative feedback on what mikebw wrote)

Funny thing is, being an actual postman, talking to people, go from house to house delivering mail, is actually a good job for an aspie, being that i'm an undiagnosed aspie (2 psychologists told me "off the record" i might have asperger's, 2 friends that have been diagnosed also told me and 7 other people as well) i know 2 aspies that are postmans, and have been one myself.

One does not have to "really" get involved with people, the only thing you'd have to overcome "if applicable" is the possible shyness that many people have of being judged by their looks, I got fired twice before for "anti-social" behavior but as a postman people have some degree of respect for you and while one meets lots and lots of different people, some will talk to you or try and be friends, and you can talk to them or not (well the "good day" is usually a must), the point is, you can say hi and be on your way, there's no explaining to do, there's no crap (mind the expression) you have to put up with.

Being a postman is usually said to be one of the most stressing jobs ever. (the expression "Going Postal" came from there, also a couple of movies and even Postal the game)
But after being through the experience i'd say that one of us doesn't feel it as much, probably because of the lack of empathy, i personally find it hard to get stressed with things common people would stress about, but get stressed with things people do not stress about, kind of reversed roles.

Anyways, sorry if i didn't give you any solution, just a slight insight, meaning that a job that you'd think has lots of people relations on it, sometimes hasn't.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 9:25 pm

Most night and/or stockroom/warehouse jobs.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 10:37 pm

As others have mentioned, Delivery Driver and Janitor are decent options (I know from experience). Just a fore-warning, when you do have to have social interactions with co workers at these jobs, they tend to be the "less intellectual, overly emotional types." However, as long as you do your job and don't get caught up in too much workplace drama (Yay for Aspie-ness), you should have a job as long as you want one.

If you are interested in a delivery job, don't limit yourself to to Pizzas. Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches delivers subs. You may want to find out if there is a franchise location in your area. Also, some "mom-and-pop" grocery stores also deliver.

At age 17, you may also want to look into getting a job doing yard work/mowing (get some ear plugs). In my experience, most people prefer that you mow when they aren't home, so you will only have to talk to people to get paid. For that matter, you could just set up an agreement to send your customers an invoice via mail, and circumvent the 'problem' all together. These jobs also tend to pay quite well, if you are self employed. (Just to put it into perspective, I paid my way through college this way).

Best wishes.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 4:27 am

Does writing requiring (demanding) social skills too?

Space
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 12:58 pm

Try a job where you only have to interact with a few people. I find that isn't so bad.

cassandra
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2009, 1:00 pm

If you want a really high flying career accountancy or book keeping is good.
You get a little desk in the corner of the room and have NO contact with customers, just numbers all day long.

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 10:56 pm

None. Every job I have ever had required people skills. Sadly, the ones where closeness is common, I do better. I cannot do a lot of jobs because many people are as*holes and I cannot work with those kinds of people.

DavidMarko
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Oct 2020, 9:18 am

Glad to read this informative discussion. Thanks

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2020, 6:17 pm

If you can survive the hell that is nursing school, private duty home health nursing is a good option.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2020, 9:37 am

Data entry

Dog sitting

Yard work

Fix house and car

Telecommute