Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Christine_Rogers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2009, 6:26 pm

Okay, so you have this huge group of people all screaming that neurotoxins in vaccines that are causing Autism. Though there are so many studies that say no, vaccines do not cause Autism, and no, there are not any neurotoxins in vaccines. HOWEVER, there ARE neurotoxins in our food supply in most of the pesticide/fungicide/fertilizer... Why don't people freak out about that and blame that? Why are people so married to this vaccine thing?

For me, I don't think it's either. I think it's genetic... but I'm not happy with having neurotoxins in my food supply either!

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 8:55 pm

well, the problem is, is that it doesn't affect everyone the same way. If neurotoxins were the cause, it would stand to wonder since they're ubiquitous in the environment, that a majority of people would have it.

There's something about how it only affects less than 1% of the general population, some vector or causality that would explain why it's not more prevalent.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 9:42 pm

Christine_Rogers wrote:
...studies that say no, vaccines do not cause Autism
Are there? Or are they just inconclusive? I haven't been following that argument too closely. Proving a negative is not easy. I would think it could be a trigger or a contributing factor.

Christine_Rogers wrote:
there ARE neurotoxins in our food supply in most of the pesticide/fungicide/fertilizer... Why don't people freak out about that and blame that?
Lots of people have been freaking out for years about stuff in the food and water. It's not specifically an Autism issue, but a general health issue.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 10:34 pm

The current thinking is a genetic component which creates susceptibility with an environmental trigger.

Said trigger could be a certain type of cold virus when contracted at a certain age (there's hundreds of different cold viruses). Or it could be a zillion and two different things.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 12:18 pm

A story I read just recently suggested something
interesting about the guy who championed the idea
that the Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR) vaccine was the
cause of autism: Apparently, he falsified his data to make
it fit his hypothesis.

MMR doctor Andrew Wakefield fixed data on autism

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 5:44 pm

Christine, if autism is caused by vaccines, effected people (in the US) are entitled to compensation from a fund set up to compensate people for injury caused by vaccines. Proving autism is caused by toxins from other sources does not offer the same automatic entitlement to compensation. Hence there is a significant financial motivation to prove that autism is caused by vaccinations.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 7:49 pm

Onset of observed symptoms usually coincide with the first set of vaccinations... usually it's lack of speech that makes a parent suspect the child is autistic, so a lot of parents assume that the vaccinations had something to do with it... those researching online on the subject inevitably encounter the "vaccines bad/gluten free good" cult that likes to tell you they can cure autism... once they're indoctrinated in the cult's propaganda, they become immune to evidence to the contrary, and begin to spread the cult's message to everyone they meet...

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 9:00 pm

Douglas_MacNeill wrote:
the guy who championed the idea... falsified his data to make it fit his hypothesis...
That's still not proof of anything, either way.
Except for the fact that the world holds a fair share of jerks. But we knew that.

pandd wrote:
there is a significant financial motivation to prove that autism is caused by vaccinations.
and an even more significant financial motivation to prevent any proof from coming to light. Motivation for the guys with a gun and a badge and tons of money.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 12:25 am

Christine_Rogers wrote:
Why don't people freak out about that and blame that? Why are people so married to this vaccine thing?

I would put this into the category "mad believe systems". There is whole and overlapping range of sect-like pseudo-medical believe systems, starting with HIV-AIDS-deniers, going further to people which deny any correlation between viruses/bacteria and illnesses, going to people which "heal" with crystals or "orgon" and-so-on.

The vaccine-autism-connection is only one facet of this "spectrum", in which rip-off and wishful thinking are the two most important factors; often spiced up with some conspiracy theories.

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2009, 3:09 pm

I think basically some issues become fashionable, and this is just another example.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 4:31 pm

Someone once said that mercury causes ASD to me. The same person believed that evolution is false and that 'eye-beams' is actually how the eye works.