When people are taught to care about others

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

23 Feb 2009, 9:20 pm

they are taught between the lines to not care about individuals.

I just figured that out by talking to my online friend. :P

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 9:24 pm

The only way to teach someone to care about others is to show them other people, and their feelings. And it only works if you already care about others. You can't tell someone "Care about others" and then they'll start to do it because you said that...

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 9:28 pm

NT's can be pricks but so can aspies

23 Feb 2009, 9:48 pm

Kilroy wrote:
NT's can be pricks but so can aspies

:lol: So you. :lol:

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 1:31 am

You can't "teach" someone to care for others. They either feel it or they do not. The best you can do is train them to behave in a manner that is in line with "caring" for another. But that's only behavior, it's nothing ingrained as an emotional response.

And there are people in every possible category who are... less than what one would hope for, just as there are others at the other extreme. :wink:

24 Feb 2009, 2:35 am

Parents don't teach their kids to show respect for everyone and to care about others? :?

My brothers and I weren't even allowed to pick on other kids and be bullies, be spoiled brats. if we were disrespectful to a grown up, we got punished at home. That was teaching us to treat everyone with respect.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 3:18 am

I was told to be sympathic of others but these "others" treated me like s**t. There is hardly anyone I get along with and even wrong planet people hate me.

Last edited by PunkyKat on 24 Feb 2009, 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 3:41 am

And why would anyone care about anyone else unless they would benefit from it somehow?

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2009, 4:54 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:

Black and white much?

I disagree, I don't think "they" are taught that, unless "they" implies the ones that are taught that, and not just an entire population.

Too much generalization. Don't feel bad though, black and white is a typical trait of the entire world. Just look at politics.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 10:19 am

Where I live parents are often the biggest bullies of all. The kids get treated like crap at home and then go to school and treat others like crap and I live in one of the more liveable cities in this state. I've heard other places here are even worse. ie: in the class room teachers do not do one thing about bullying in schools in the state's capitol. I mean, it's just absolutely ridiculous. But what can you do? No one seems to care or they rationalize it and say it's alright to be this way.

theQuail
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Feb 2009, 6:40 pm

I think that many people only think about caring about people in the abstract, so that they feel that it is the right thing to do and that others should care for them, but so that compassion in real life is often highly selective and based on class and self-interest. Or that is the idea I get from going to school, anyway. Many people are hypocrites (me included, hehe).

The abstract/concrete distinction sounds like the original post. Also, it would make sense as people find it much easier to develop enlightened ideas than to put them into practice.

24 Feb 2009, 7:12 pm

Fo-Rum wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:

Black and white much?

I disagree, I don't think "they" are taught that, unless "they" implies the ones that are taught that, and not just an entire population.

Too much generalization. Don't feel bad though, black and white is a typical trait of the entire world. Just look at politics.

I was told by my online friend people don't care about us so they ignore our words and what we don't like and I said but aren't they taught to care about people. And he said but they don't care about us so I said I guess when they are taught to care, they are taught between the lines to not care about individuals such as us and he said "right."

Sick world out there. :x

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 8:34 pm

I think if parents made more of an effort to teach their children to be nice to others the world would be a much better place. Unfortunately, most world rulers lack empathy and genuine kindness so it is hard to raise your kids to be warm in such a cold world.