Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Erminea
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 9:38 am

.... near Schiphol/ Amsterdam.
Jeez, it happened a few hours ago. It was a plane from Turkish Airlines and there are nine deadly victims 'till now. Mmmm, this s*cks.

Fayed
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2009, 12:06 pm

wow.

A plane crashed here in teh states a few weeks ago, and another a couple of weeks before that.

Still its the safest form of travel. Well, next to a elevator.

Erminea
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 3:39 pm

Statistically that's probably right but still.

I know it happens here and there, now and then but not much in Holland. Yes, we had Bijlmer disaster (4 Oct. '92) where a (El Al) plane crashed into flat-building with 43 deaths and lots of wounded people. That made quite an impact on me and others here.
Strange how we tend to get used to this sort of accidents, seeing it on the news a/o reading about it. Me too.

They still don't know what caused today's crash but the pilot did a 'good' job landing the plane in a field and let it fly so slow that it sort of fell almost straight down and the thing broke in three pieces. Most passengers were really lucky and most could walk out of the plane. Still nine deaths and I feel sorry for their family. And for the physically harmed too.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 5:45 pm

Fayed wrote:
wow.

A plane crashed here in teh states a few weeks ago, and another a couple of weeks before that.

Well, that's true in the sense of per miles traveled, airplanes have much fewer deaths than any other kind. On the other hand, per trip, not surprisingly, airplanes are fairly dangerous, and per hour in transit they are more dangerous than say a train. Yes, if you need to go far they are the safest, which is of course the relevant to think about if you are considering how to get from point a to b. But that don't make gettin in a plane all that safe because that's a lot of miles from something to wrong during.

mechanima
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 9:34 pm

A bit feaked out because I was IN a 737 that had just reached cruising altitude for a short flight at the time of the crash *shudders*.

Though I didn't know about it till hours later.

I am focussing on "law of averages" right now.

M

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 8:33 pm

Fayed wrote:
wow.

Rail is safer than plane.

ruveyn

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 8:43 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Fayed wrote:
wow.

Rail is safer than plane.

ruveyn

Not per kilometer.