Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 2:16 am

The past couple of days at work have been horrible.

Lately I have been working very hard on a special project at work. There were supposed to be two of us leading this project, but the other one has been absent a lot lately, so most of the work has landed on me.

Two days ago one of the managers at work (not my boss though) snapped and started yelling at me out of the blue and being extremely rude, for a very silly reason, connected with this special project that I've been working on and which he had previously agreed about. I (and many others who witnessed this) was shocked at this behavior and didn't feel this was deserved. I wanted to stand up for myself and say something back, but the words wouldn't come out, I lost the ability to talk. I was shocked, hurt and angry. I had a meltdown and left the office to go to a quiet place. I started seriously thinking that I should just go and quit, because I was angry at my bosses for watching what happened and not doing anything and I didn't want to let anyone get away with treating me like this. But I had to hang on and try to survive at this job, because lately we've been worried about my hubby losing his job. At the moment there is no work available and a lot of unemployed people in our area, so I simply couldn't risk to be without a job now. I decided there were no options in the situation but to put up with this for now.

Yesterday I was still shaken up by this incident, I was tired, stressed and not feeling good. In the afternoon my boss called me into his office and fired me. Apparently they had to fire a lot of people yesterday, for economic reasons, and I'm one of them. Naturally, this was a bit of a shock. It's going to be hard to find another job. Now that a lot of people have been fired, I can see that all the work that has gone into this special project has been wasted, because it had a lot to do with the staff. This project will be either canceled, or someone will have to start organizing it all over again. Having worked so hard on this, it sucks to see it end like this, especially because this could have been avoided had my boss just put this on hold for a while when he knew he was about to fire people.

In a way I'm glad to leave this job, because it has caused me a lot of stress and I don't think I've been treated fairly there, but on the other hand I know I will just be stressed over finding another job instead, and my mother will make it worse, like always, with constant pressure. She's been at the same job for almost 40 years, so she has no idea how hard it is to find a job and every time I'm searching for a job she seems to think I'm not trying hard enough and she drives me nuts.

This week sucks. :(

Anyway, thanks for reading my rant. I just had to get this off my chest.

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 5:59 am

At least here in th US they keep extending unemplooyment. Maybe if both of you are on it and try to limit your expenses the money will be enough.

I think if you can still get in touch with some people you worked with you should ask for letters of reference - before they forget how great you were and how hard you worked.

I know you probably don't feel like updating your resume and job hunting, you're probably still reeling from being fired, but the sooner you're able to start the better.

Good luck!

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 6:29 am

sorry to hear about that, yeah. Older generations (like your mother) had compeletely different work and socioeconomic climates and don't understand that it's different for each generation.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 12:22 pm

Sounds like you ought to get a job where your mother works. :?

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 12:28 pm

Your mom has no idea how fortunate she has been. She should watch the news.

Sorry to hear about your lousy week. I wish you well in the hunt for a new job. :)

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 1:44 pm

Amik wrote:
The past couple of days at work have been horrible.

Lately I have been working very hard on a special project at work. There were supposed to be two of us leading this project, but the other one has been absent a lot lately, so most of the work has landed on me.

Two days ago one of the managers at work (not my boss though) snapped and started yelling at me out of the blue and being extremely rude, for a very silly reason, connected with this special project that I've been working on and which he had previously agreed about. I (and many others who witnessed this) was shocked at this behavior and didn't feel this was deserved. I wanted to stand up for myself and say something back, but the words wouldn't come out, I lost the ability to talk. I was shocked, hurt and angry. I had a meltdown and left the office to go to a quiet place. I started seriously thinking that I should just go and quit, because I was angry at my bosses for watching what happened and not doing anything and I didn't want to let anyone get away with treating me like this. But I had to hang on and try to survive at this job, because lately we've been worried about my hubby losing his job. At the moment there is no work available and a lot of unemployed people in our area, so I simply couldn't risk to be without a job now. I decided there were no options in the situation but to put up with this for now.

Yesterday I was still shaken up by this incident, I was tired, stressed and not feeling good. In the afternoon my boss called me into his office and fired me. Apparently they had to fire a lot of people yesterday, for economic reasons, and I'm one of them. Naturally, this was a bit of a shock. It's going to be hard to find another job. Now that a lot of people have been fired, I can see that all the work that has gone into this special project has been wasted, because it had a lot to do with the staff. This project will be either canceled, or someone will have to start organizing it all over again. Having worked so hard on this, it sucks to see it end like this, especially because this could have been avoided had my boss just put this on hold for a while when he knew he was about to fire people.

In a way I'm glad to leave this job, because it has caused me a lot of stress and I don't think I've been treated fairly there, but on the other hand I know I will just be stressed over finding another job instead, and my mother will make it worse, like always, with constant pressure. She's been at the same job for almost 40 years, so she has no idea how hard it is to find a job and every time I'm searching for a job she seems to think I'm not trying hard enough and she drives me nuts.

This week sucks. :(

Anyway, thanks for reading my rant. I just had to get this off my chest.

mothers usually have personal barrier problems and are often emotionally controlling and abusive. i see this with cousins who in their early thirties. their moms will embarass them in public because they either do not have a great job or cannot move out or etc.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 3:25 pm

KaliMa wrote:
Maybe if both of you are on it and try to limit your expenses the money will be enough.

We'll be okay for at least a while. We've got a bit of money saved up and we're already limiting our expenses, just in case. We're more worried about what will happen in the long run in case we won't find other jobs soon enough.

KaliMa wrote:
I think if you can still get in touch with some people you worked with you should ask for letters of reference - before they forget how great you were and how hard you worked.

I know you probably don't feel like updating your resume and job hunting, you're probably still reeling from being fired, but the sooner you're able to start the better.

I have already updated my resume and just now I started applying for jobs and registering at job agencies. I can easily get references from the people at work. The hard part is finding a company that is hiring instead of firing, and convincing them I'm better than everyone else who applies.

lelia wrote:
Sounds like you ought to get a job where your mother works. :?

Actually I used to work there. :lol: Only for a summer job though, while I was in college. I wouldn't want to work there for 40 years though. It's a state institution... extremely dull and rather badly paid work. :? Not to mention I'd have my mother over my should all the time, trying to make sure I don't embarrass her. :roll: