Page 7 of 9 [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 3:50 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Tahitiii wrote:
I really don't have an income. And I have no control over any tangibles. I have nothing to give. I give huge chunks of time to people who need help, for what that's worth. There was a time when I could give more, and did.

I've lost track of where this is going. Why do you need to believe I'm a hypocrite, and what is your point?

Do not criticize other for not doing what you, yourself don't do. That is the point. If you do not give half of what you eat to others and you do not give half the clothes off your back to others, do not expect others to do so, regardless of how much or how little they have.

You're oversimplifying things. There's such a thing as marginal utility, at least with respect to one's needs. It certainly isn't difficult to argue a moral calculus which assigns greater obligation to those with more to contribute more of it. I don't need to argue we should all give away all of our belongings (doing so would curb ones ability to generate wealth in the future anyway, so it would be self defeating), but that doesn't mean you can't be critical of people who simultaneously whine they don't have enough money yet regularly do things like go on vacations elsewhere or drive new cars.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 3:57 pm

twoshots wrote:
MmeLePen wrote:
Hello, New Jersey! What's in the water up there?

Last time I checked, dumped pharmaceuticals.

Tahitiii wrote:
Quote:
Everything New York and Philly don't want.

Just in:

March 4th (Atlanta, GA)

A recent study suggests the leading cause of Aspergers Syndrome (AS) is being from New Jersey. 8O

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 6:16 pm

twoshots wrote:
...go on vacations elsewhere or drive new cars.
I've never owned a new car.
We went on a vacation once. Two nights at a farm. B&B style.
Mostly we spent money on gas & tolls to visit relatives.
Oh, wait -- we took the kids camping a bunch of times.

MmeLePen wrote:
A recent study suggests the leading cause of Aspergers Syndrome (AS) is being from New Jersey.
I believe it. But I still want the link.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 6:20 pm

Tahitiii wrote:
twoshots wrote:
...go on vacations elsewhere or drive new cars.
I've never owned a new car.
We went on a vacation once. Two nights at a farm. B&B style.
Mostly we spent money on gas & tolls to visit relatives.
Oh, wait -- we took the kids camping a bunch of times.

I wasn't targeting you with that statement. Now my arguments are all mixed up :?

Pixel8
Toucan
Toucan

04 Mar 2009, 7:00 pm

IdahoAspie wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that people are just jealous of the US.

I am not the dumb ass hick reactionary I at first appear to be, and neither am I a uber patriotic maniac with no concept of the outside world.

However I do love to get all the other reactionaries out there reacting to my posts and all the patriots defending their own countries.

I love to sit back and laugh and laugh as the post count mounts and the infighting and bickering escalates, people no longer ranting at me but at each other.

All in all I am a clever, calculating, sadistic swine with a truly wicked sense of humour.

Proud to be an American!

How am I doing so far IdahoAspie? :twisted:

All hail the king :hail:

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 12:44 am

Getting back to the original post, it has been noted that there is a great movement of highly educated people with valuable interests to move out of the USA back to their home countries such as India and China where the opportunities seem to be greater. And a survey of Mexicans and South Americans indicates a general movement of those groups back to their home countries.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 4:13 am

MmeLePen wrote:
Canada gave us the BlackBerry! I couldn't LIVE without mine - even the president is addicted. Thanks, Canada! :heart:

Poor guy! I hear they took his away when he was sworn in! It was a concern with security.

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 4:13 am

MissConstrue wrote:
Well...maybe there's parts of the U.S. you haven't seen.

From where I live, there aren't even ENOUGH homes for the homeless right now.

Americans are extremely wealthy. Are standard of living is well beyond that of the average person. Even our homeless are given food and health care a great deal of the time beyond that of the average person in most countries of the world.

Our standard of living is very high. I am very fortunate to live in this country and have what I have.

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 4:20 am

Sand wrote:
Getting back to the original post, it has been noted that there is a great movement of highly educated people with valuable interests to move out of the USA back to their home countries such as India and China where the opportunities seem to be greater. And a survey of Mexicans and South Americans indicates a general movement of those groups back to their home countries.

Many Mexicans ans South Americans are in this country illegally, and are only here for jobs that are quickly evaporating. So they go back home. If they are not making money here, it costs them a great deal to live and they must return. However, the violence in Mexico will keep some that are from border towns from coming back.

India and China are growing in wealth, but only because the USA has been infusing them with outsourcing of products and services. As the US economy shrinks so will the opportunities in China and India.

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 4:23 am

Pixel8 wrote:
IdahoAspie wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that people are just jealous of the US.

I am not the dumb ass hick reactionary I at first appear to be, and neither am I a uber patriotic maniac with no concept of the outside world.

However I do love to get all the other reactionaries out there reacting to my posts and all the patriots defending their own countries.

I love to sit back and laugh and laugh as the post count mounts and the infighting and bickering escalates, people no longer ranting at me but at each other.

All in all I am a clever, calculating, sadistic swine with a truly wicked sense of humour.

Proud to be an American!

How am I doing so far IdahoAspie? :twisted:

All hail the king :hail:

You are do'in awe sum, Pixilate.

But, hey, while you are down there, do you mind . . . :o

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 5:39 am

If the US can offer me a citizenship, I wouldn't be too jealous of the country.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 5:49 am

ruennsheng wrote:

I get "Congratulations! Your country is eligible for a Green Card" ads all the freakin' time. As if I would actually want to move there! No thanks.

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 6:00 am

Henriksson wrote:
ruennsheng wrote:

I get "Congratulations! Your country is eligible for a Green Card" ads all the freakin' time. As if I would actually want to move there! No thanks.

Trust me, it isn't the US sending you those offers, it is your own country trying to unload you unto us. We have millions of people trying to get into this country. And millions more that get in illegally and most American Citizens cannot stand the illegal immigration, it trashes every thing.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 6:40 am

IdahoAspie wrote:
Henriksson wrote:
ruennsheng wrote:

Trust me, it isn't the US sending you those offers, it is your own country trying to unload you unto us. We have millions of people trying to get into this country.

But not Millions of western Europeans, but of countries which worst off. The same is true for Europe - from outside and intern in the EU. I am too lazy know to look up figures, but I am very certain more Polish immigrated in the recent years to the UK than into the US.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 7:01 am

IdahoAspie wrote:
Henriksson wrote:
ruennsheng wrote:

Trust me, it isn't the US sending you those offers, it is your own country trying to unload you unto us. We have millions of people trying to get into this country. And millions more that get in illegally and most American Citizens cannot stand the illegal immigration, it trashes every thing.

Thats silly. Countries do not erode their tax bases or cause ease brain drains to the US.

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 7:31 am

Dussel wrote:
IdahoAspie wrote:
Henriksson wrote:
ruennsheng wrote:

Trust me, it isn't the US sending you those offers, it is your own country trying to unload you unto us. We have millions of people trying to get into this country.

But not Millions of western Europeans, but of countries which worst off. The same is true for Europe - from outside and intern in the EU. I am too lazy know to look up figures, but I am very certain more Polish immigrated in the recent years to the UK than into the US.

Well, I doubt poor people can afford to travel far, that is why they go to a place like the USA.