Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 7:34 am

Where I live Melbourne drivers are very rude and serial honkers from what more experienced drivers they have told me people are impatient and rude road rage is sure an issue here. I have had my licence for 6 months other drivers can see this because of my P plates indicating I am inexperienced. There have been plenty of idiots who have cut me off etc and wanted to honk but havent.

Anyway tonight I was driving on the freeway it was about 10pm I was slightly tired but not too bad. I went to change lanes saw a truck in my mirror but he was far away so i sped up and crossed lanes he apparently thought I cut him off and didnt just do a short gentle honk but two very long rude ones. I have been honked at for taking what others thought was too long at traffic lights as well. How often have you been honked at and how do you handle it? being aspie the sudden noise makes me more nervous.

This is from a recent survey and I agree with it Most Australian drivers (92%) have experienced some form of road rage or aggression from other drivers. This includes car horn honking, swearing, yelling, put downs etc. Of those who have experienced road rage, the majority have been on the receiving end of regular honking (99%) and rude gestures (79%) but disturbingly, two-thirds have experienced more threatening behaviours such as swearing and yelling. Hopefully we can all learn to cool off and take a few deep breathes before we honk our horn. AAMI Public Affairs Manager Geoff Hughes said the most disgusting thing a driver can do is honk their horn, yell or swear at a learner or P plate driver 30% of drivers admit doing this to a L plater and 87% to a P plater. Mr Hughes says these drivers are reprehensible and completely out of order. He added "we all make mistakes or take a second or two to take off in certain situations allow the driver to do this without harassment. P plater JR Lopez 23 is honked at and shouted at daily "It's amazing what people will do on the roads, how impatient people are with inexperienced drivers," he said.

Last edited by Catster2 on 28 Feb 2009, 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 7:37 am

Nobody ever honks at anybody around here. If anyone does it, all the drivers and pedestrians in the vicinity give them a dirty look, cos it just really pisses everyone off.

y es como un semestre"

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 7:53 am

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
Nobody ever honks at anybody around here. If anyone does it, all the drivers and pedestrians in the vicinity give them a dirty look, cos it just really pisses everyone off.

Thats the way to go all drivers make mistakes and horn honking only causes people to feel more nervous.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 8:16 am

agreed. honking at a learner for making a mistake is not cool. honking at anyone for making a mistake is not cool.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 8:55 am

I think horn honking is just a way of a driver complaining about somebody else's driving, but I would like the horn to be used less and to have a nicer sound, it doesn't really sound nice.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 9:24 am

I f*****g hate when people honk over the smallest s**t. Ok, if someone does something dumb like speed right past you at 150 km/h, then I understand. But if you're a huge distance away from the car in front of you and another car "cuts you off", then shut the f**k up and stop being a b***h. The car that "cut you off" deserves that lane more than you do.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 10:12 am

I got honked at a few times when I first got my license, but that's been about it. When it comes to me honking, I probably should start doing it more to people. For some reason, they never see me coming and decide to try and pull out in front of me. Yesterday, for instance, I was driving down the main street in my neighborhood and a cop nearly hits me!! He pulled out of one of the side streets, totally running the stop sign. If it had been a split second later, he would've nailed the passenger side of my car... I'm seriously considering telling my neighbor (also a cop) to talk to him about that. There was no excuse.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 11:24 am

I've honked at people who are doing really stupid stuff like pulling out right in front of me so I have to jam on my breaks or like stopping in the middle of the road because they're not paying attention or backing out of a parking space and not seeing me behind them. I usually just do a small reminder toot, though.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 12:14 pm

I get honked at more often by walking across the street at the lights when I am supposed to than from driving... Which grand totals for both are once for walking across the street, never for driving. The person who honked at me for crossing the street was probably experiencing some psychotic thing in his head at the time.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 1:32 pm

Catster2 wrote:
I went to change lanes saw a truck in my mirror but he was far away so i sped up and crossed lanes he apparently thought I cut him off and didnt just do a short gentle honk but two very long rude ones. I have been honked at for taking what others thought was too long at traffic lights as well. How often have you been honked at and how do you handle it? being aspie the sudden noise makes me more nervous.

I road rage. I have phsycological issues with people acknowledging me, and not looking down on me. That plays a part in it. I do not tolerate being teased because I have had it for so long that my brain has this defense mechanism against that. Not very easy to stop.

Since you had alot of space, the truck drivers is just being a jerk like that. It might be that he felt condecended. Maybe you didn't use your turn signal to change lanes or something? If you were one car space or less infront of him, didn't use a signal to indicate you were moveing there, and suddenly went in the lane then yeah, that is cutting off right there. That's not very safe, and yet I see it way too much. I honk when people do it, because it's like they try to hit me or something. "Hey! I'm right here!! $#%^ need better glasses?!" :oops:

A: They put me in a possition where I hit them from behind. Around my area, hitting someone from behind, you give the lane cutter the insurance info despite it being completly their fault. So yeah, that annoys me enough, and other people have reason to honk as well. We don't diserve to pay 123+ dollars for someone else's mistakes.
B: No turn signal? People need to know when someone goes in the lane, that's why. If you forget, ok, but I seen people do it over and over, so when I see them repeatidly change lanes like they want to car crash people, I honk because I really don't want a dangerous wreck.

I honk for other reasons, as I find the driver's conduct dangerous. 1: tailgateing at an unsafe stopping distance. Not just rude, but dangerous. I once had one get so close, I couldn't see the head lights. It wasn't enough we were driving at 80 MPH (my prefered speed) down a 50-60 MPH freeway. Despite the fact that there are up to five lanes to go around me, they ride my rear end in the slow lane! (which is where I was at the time :roll: ) The last thing I need is to twist mother's arm for another new car. We don't have the money for that let alone hospital bills. :evil: HATE IT! I will honk, flip, and cuss every time they do it. Being shook up makes me feel small, and from that right into angry.

2: if someone doesn't go when the light turns green for the second time in a row, or they are confused if it's the right street light. It's not inteneded to be rude, really, but what can I do? There is one cross secion where we can see the headlights of Memorial going south, and the other head lights on Briar Forest. At night they look like they are both facing the same direction, and people get a little confused if it's to turn or not, because they can't tell and they never went through that spot before.

3: I'll definatly honk if I think you're a butt hole, and I won't shut up either.

I don't get honked at much myself really. Honking from people has been doing on alot lately do to stress. I hear the horn everywhere for any picky reason. Must be the economy or something.

sleepflower
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2009, 1:49 pm

I've never been honked at, although when I was on vacation in France, somebody did flash their lights at me when they thought I was taking too long moving back to the right lane. Whatever. If they want to be rude just to get home 2 minutes earlier, they can go right ahead. It doesn't really bother me. As long as they stay inside their vehicles and don't threaten me, I couldn't care less. I'm not letting these as*holes make me nervous.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 3:08 pm

If someone pisses you off, just swear at them, they can't hear you in the car anyway.

y es como un semestre"

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 3:19 pm

sleepflower wrote:
I've never been honked at, although when I was on vacation in France, somebody did flash their lights at me when they thought I was taking too long moving back to the right lane. Whatever. If they want to be rude just to get home 2 minutes earlier, they can go right ahead.

Here in America flashing one's lights is a courtesy among drivers to warn that a policecar is hiding out somewhere near looking for speeders to arrest. Maybe you misinterpreted the other driver.

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 4:10 pm

I definitely had my turning signal on and IMO more than enough room I just think the truckie didnt like me going in front of him. But to be sure i will double check next time I do something like that. People say in Melbourne you will be "honked at a million times" the drivers here are like that. Even walking to work which is a five minute walk from my place I normally hear at least 1 or two people honking someone.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 7:49 pm

The sudden sharp sound of a car horn can just about make me feel as though I'm jumping out of my skin. I use my car horn basically to give notice to another driver, or pedestrian, of possible impending danger.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 7:53 pm

Ticker wrote:
sleepflower wrote:
I've never been honked at, although when I was on vacation in France, somebody did flash their lights at me when they thought I was taking too long moving back to the right lane. Whatever. If they want to be rude just to get home 2 minutes earlier, they can go right ahead.

Here in America flashing one's lights is a courtesy among drivers to warn that a policecar is hiding out somewhere near looking for speeders to arrest. Maybe you misinterpreted the other driver.

Really? My mum does it during foggy weather to say, "Switch your headlamps on, you fool!" LOL

y es como un semestre"