Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 1:25 pm

I noticed a big red rash under my cat's hair, near his tail. I thought immediately it must be ringworm and it could spread to me and make my long blond hair fall out. I was freaking out about becoming bald and I couldn't calm myself down.

I talked to my uncle, who is a physician's assistant, and he told me to put hydrocortisone cream on him. I did that, but then I worried he would lick it off or it would hurt me from having to rub it in.

I washed my hands over and over. I smoked 10 cigarettes in 3 hours. I took my inderal and klonopin. I am still not calm.

It's totally irrational. I know everything shoud be okay. But, I still feel my heart racing and I can't calm down.

I'm going to try to lie down for a while.

Has anyone else had such a severe over-reaction to something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 1:31 pm

Yes.

And purchase latex gloves.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 1:52 pm

It could be a flea hypersensitivity, it always starts on the lower back. If it's kind of scabby, it's likely. I have one who developed this (3rd cat I've had that did, actually) and the only thing that realy works is to use Frontline on him. I tried other brands, they didn't do much.

Washing them with special soap helps too, but cats usually don't care for that much.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 2:10 pm

Thanks. He's only been outside 6x in his whole life, and not for long because I run and get him. He's an indoor cat, so it's weird if he would have fleas. He seems to feel better now, though, with the hydrocortisone cream.

What worries me is my severe panic reaction!

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 3:10 pm

Quote:
What worries me is my severe panic reaction!

Nah, doesn't sound too odd to me. Not only is there something wrong with the cat (OH NO), but you have to touch it (eeww), and it could possible be contagious (but... you have to touch it)..... understandable. Sounds like you're dealing.

You should have a vet take a look at the cat, that would be best.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 5:21 pm

I agree, but a vet visit generally costs $85-100 and then I also have to pay a cab to get there and back.

I will still do it though, if he does not improve.

Ligea_Seroua
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 5:24 pm

well I had a similar reaction to the threat of nits...even the thought of them made me want to move into decontamination chamber, I virtually combed the hair off my sons head, insisted on treating us all with lyclear (although would have sprayed myself with DDT or Agent Orange, so great was my paranoia) and there was never a nit in sight.
A year on and even hearing the word *nit* still has me scratching and worrying :lol: ...

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 6:03 pm

zghost wrote:
It could be a flea hypersensitivity, it always starts on the lower back. If it's kind of scabby, it's likely. I have one who developed this (3rd cat I've had that did, actually) and the only thing that realy works is to use Frontline on him. I tried other brands, they didn't do much.

Washing them with special soap helps too, but cats usually don't care for that much.
Thats what just about all of our cats had, and they will lose their hair too. You can see all their cat wrinkles, and because they don't have the hair to insulate, they feel warmer to the touch. Kind of interesting, but they end up looking ugly too. 8)

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 6:19 pm

does he scoot [sit up and pull himself along with his front legs] ? he might have a bum infection of some sort.

also,another,cats can get OCD,in them it shows as constantly licking or tugging at a part of their furr,sandy [sisters cat] has this and it is related to bad things going on in sandys life-she gets worse around strangers.

the flea allergy is very possible,it can get very bad if left,another vote for frontline here but something like frontline combo is best as its very strong,gets put on back of neck and doesnt have the noise of spraying or the problems with giving tablets,sam is allergic to fleas and she's not had one flea in years with using the stuff.

Whitetiger,
is there no free vet service there?
there is a free vet service here for people who get benefits [RSPCA hospitals] but have to turn up and wait and can be waiting all day,no appointment. and theres PDSA but am sure its for people who own their own house and get some sort of benefit.
is there nothing like that where are?

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

rivergoat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Mar 2009, 10:36 am

whitetiger wrote:
He's only been outside 6x in his whole life, and not for long because I run and get him. He's an indoor cat, so it's weird if he would have fleas.

Fleas don't need a cat to transport them inside. There are flea treatments for your house that keep the fleas from maturing, thus harmless to humans and their furry friends.

I also had a cat who had OCD-like scratching, he ended up with bare spots on his sides. I tried everything the vets recommended, but until I left my ex-husband, he never got better. Then his fur filled out.

Remember, when treating your cat, to calm yourself first. Animals are sensitive to our emotions, and if you're upset and nervous when treating him (her?), they will become upset and nervous about the treatment. Just remember that it's going to help, treatment is a GOOD thing.

goat

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 11:56 am

It does look scabby, instead of just a rash. I just put neosporin on it instead of the hydrocortisone cream. I guess I need to buy him a flea collar or something, since I'm going to let him go outside more.

Thanks for everyone's comments!

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 11:58 am

Haha!

He removed his own comment.

Hooray!