Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

beastinblack
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Mar 2009, 4:02 pm

Have any of you people heard of this guy? If so what do you think about his situation? He has aspergers syndrome and could be facing up to 60 years in an american prison.

Do a search for him on youtube or google news, there are some videos/articles that explain his situation than I can.

I am quite disgusted how ignorant politicians are towards this condition.

03 Mar 2009, 4:10 pm

Yes I have heard of him and am disgusted he is using his AS as a defense. I hate those people who use their disability as an excuse to get off. I hope he gets the sentence and rots hell in prison. Anyone who thinks he should get special treatment probably use their disability as an excuse too so I hate those people. I hope they also rot in hell. :evil:

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 6:58 pm

They should not extradite him and they should tear up the extradition treaty. It's totally degrading to the United Kingdom. In short, the US can withhold information and that HELPS their extradition case! Totally unacceptable for a sovereign country to support. I also do not believe for a second that he would receive a fair trial in the U.S. and it's about time that the UK admit to that fact and behave like a real country for a change and not like a colony.

As the alleged crime took place in the UK, have the U.S. authorities present the evidence in a UK court and have the UK handle the matter. As for this attack on Mr. McKinnon as a man who "uses Asperger's as an excuse", he is doing nothing of the sort. This information came out in the middle of this process... and it is a fact that forcing such a person into a foreign maze like this as is being proposed is more difficult in Asperger cases than others... though I say that no one should be extradited in such cases, Asperger or not.

By the way, why is the UK wasting its time with this process when Boris Berezovsky, aka Platon Yelenin, lives in freedom in London with a fake name and British passport so he can plot more murders and cause more trouble in Russia as an extradition request is pending from the Russian authorities?

Psiri
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2009, 7:33 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Yes I have heard of him and am disgusted he is using his AS as a defense. I hate those people who use their disability as an excuse to get off. I hope he gets the sentence and rots hell in prison. Anyone who thinks he should get special treatment probably use their disability as an excuse too so I hate those people. I hope they also rot in hell. :evil:

Rot in hell? That's a bit strong. Besides his AS is relevant to the case. He hacked into the pentagon not for his own gain, or because he was working for someone else, or because he was trying to undermine the US in any way, but because he was pursuing his own special interest in UFO's. This is unlikely to help him in a US court as all countries are psychotic about their 'national security' and he'll no doubt be banged up for a long time, simply as a warning to others. But in the UK we can be a bit more rational about it. Our 'security' hasn't been threatened. The fact is, he hasn't harmed anyone or even threatened to. He doesn't deserve to spend the rest of his life in a high security prison where he'll be abused, probably beaten up regularly and possibly anally raped. It's not right.

03 Mar 2009, 8:48 pm

Psiri wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:

Rot in hell? That's a bit strong. Besides his AS is relevant to the case. He hacked into the pentagon not for his own gain, or because he was working for someone else, or because he was trying to undermine the US in any way, but because he was pursuing his own special interest in UFO's. This is unlikely to help him in a US court as all countries are psychotic about their 'national security' and he'll no doubt be banged up for a long time, simply as a warning to others. But in the UK we can be a bit more rational about it. Our 'security' hasn't been threatened. The fact is, he hasn't harmed anyone or even threatened to. He doesn't deserve to spend the rest of his life in a high security prison where he'll be abused, probably beaten up regularly and possibly anally raped. It's not right.

So our special interests should give us an excuse to get off? Okay. I will go to Spokane next week and go on the property of the B&J house and break in so I can look at it and see what the inside looks like and when I get arrested for breaking an entry, I will use my AS to get off. I have a Benny & Joon interest, it's my special interest, I have AS so give me special treatment, please don't throw me in jail. Let me free. See how you aspies like that? :twisted:

PS I hope you rot in hell too for thinking AS is an excuse for this crap.

Psiri
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2009, 9:37 pm

Quote:
I will go to Spokane next week and go on the property of the B&J house and break in so I can look at it and see what the inside looks like and when I get arrested for breaking an entry

How long would you expect to spend in prison for doing that? The same as Gary McKimmon? Because, in effect, it's the same thing. It's not the 'getting off' I have a problem with, but the severity of the sentence he's likely to get. The man has harmed no-one. No-one. Why should he spend 30 years in prison? Because he's hurt the pride of the US military?
His AS is relevant because it helps to demonstrate that he is not a threat to US security, which is the reason he's being prosecuted in the first place. Don't you understand what they're doing to him? It's not a technicality, it's a man's life and he has harmed NO-ONE.

03 Mar 2009, 10:06 pm

Psiri wrote:
Quote:
I will go to Spokane next week and go on the property of the B&J house and break in so I can look at it and see what the inside looks like and when I get arrested for breaking an entry

How long would you expect to spend in prison for doing that? The same as Gary McKimmon? Because, in effect, it's the same thing. It's not the 'getting off' I have a problem with, but the severity of the sentence he's likely to get. The man has harmed no-one. No-one. Why should he spend 30 years in prison? Because he's hurt the pride of the US military?
His AS is relevant because it helps to demonstrate that he is not a threat to US security, which is the reason he's being prosecuted in the first place. Don't you understand what they're doing to him? It's not a technicality, it's a man's life and he has harmed NO-ONE.

What if an NT did it and was going to get the same punishment too? How would you be reacting to that? Are you saying if he didn't have AS, they wouldn't want to put him behind bars for 30-60 years?

Psiri
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2009, 10:18 pm

If an NT spent huge amounts of time and effort cracking into the Pentagon to pursue his obsessive interest in UFO's, I'd be surprised. He would still be no threat to the US, and would have harmed no-one, so a 30 year prison sentence would be a cruel and unusual punishment. Of course, he wouldn't be able to use AS as an excuse, but that's really got nothing to do with it. The punishment doesn't fit the crime. That's my point.

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2009, 11:43 pm

I acknowledge that some people on these forums are using rather strong language to describe the situation.

But putting it into perspective, when people use AS as an excuse to either get a lesser sentance or get off scot free based on diminished capacity...it doesn't make us LOOK GOOD, you know? It makes us look like invalids who need to have our hands held, and be told the difference between right and wrong in a high-pitched sing-song voice.

You might say that those people who are calling for harsh sentances for Mr. Mckinnon are throwing him under the bus, but you also have to admit that people like Gary Mckinnon are throwing the rest of US under the bus when they claim that AS renders them totally incompetant and incapable of understanding laws.

Quite frankly, Gary is lucky that he isn't Middle Eastern or North African, or else he would have been sent to Guantanamo Bay MONTHS ago.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 12:42 am

Well, those AIPAC spies on trial right now are having the judges serve them dutifully and helping them with their "graymail" - trying to get the government to fold by forcing it to air classified information in court, and they have extended the trial eternally... these spies sent secrets to a foreign power, and yet they are being served like royalty. What about Scooter Libby who outed a covert agent, he had his prison time waived by the president! Libby is an agent of a foreign power in his own right and I suppose that he should not be shocked that he got away with it again though Dick Cheney is mad that Bush did not give Libby a full pardon.

Mr. McKinnon I suppose should have sent that information he had found to that foreign power, if he did he would be far more leniently treated by American authorities and I presume British authorities also than any so-called Asperger's defence can provide.

Remember that there are two parts to this so-called Asperger's Defence - point one, it helps show that his motive was not to help foreign powers or damage the U.S. for personal gain, though the U.S. might consider that it's damage to uncover those hidden technologies that Mr. McKinnon speaks of - either originating from extra-terrestrials as suggested or perhaps derived from the captured works of Nikola Tesla, for all we know...

The second part has to do with taking someone like this and putting him or her through a foreign criminal justice system, far from any family or support or familiar environment at all... that the UK should not force a citizen through this.

As I said they have taken an alien, Mr. Boris Berezovsky, the "Godfather of the Kremlin" as the journalist Paul Klebnikov put it (and he was murdered quickly after having written that book), and given him impunity from the Russian justice system and has turned London into some centre for anti-Russian plotting... they should at least take care of one of their own.

Psiri
Toucan
Toucan

04 Mar 2009, 2:55 pm

Apologies to anyone I offended with my posts on this thread. It just makes me so angry because, legality aside, the guy clearly doesn't deserve what will happen to him if he's deported to the US.

And Katie_WPG, I don't think we should care about whether his case makes us look good or not. We're not the ones having our lives ruined.

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2009, 3:15 pm

While I wouldn't refer to it as "having our lives ruined" by stereotypes, it can certainly make our lives more difficult if it's assumed that we're crimes waiting to happen. I know some schizophrenic people that are furious that Vince Li (the Greyhound bus murderer) plead 'not guilty' based on his schizophrenia. Given the very low public opinion of schizophrenic people, people with AS could be shortly behind them.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 5:10 pm

This case is hardly headline news in the United States... it's almost as obscure as the AIPAC spy case (though not that obscure, taboo subjects are not involved)...

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2009, 12:06 am

I talked about his case this week on Radio New Zealand, National. You can hear a podcast here:
http://theg33kshow.com/gary_mckinnon

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 1:36 am

By the way, did you know that a Texas jury acquitted a man who not only killed his neighbour but dismembered him? Body parts were discovered in the bay but not the head. The defence argued that he was killed by mistake with a blow to the head, and as the head was missing they could not prove that he was not killed by accident so he should be acquitted... and he was...

His name is Robert Durst, millionaire. He also is suspected of murdering his wife and some other person in Las Vegas, and, yes, he supposedly is an Asperger case... supposedly, this caused him to panic after killing his neighbour and compelled him to dismember the body...

Well, despite this sensational story that should cause us Asperger people to be popularly branded as potential murderers and corpse defilers, guess what... no one has heard of Durst nor that a jury in death penalty-happy Texas acquitted him and that Asperger's was used to argue for his acquittal...