Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 9:59 am

http://okparentnetwork.org/v-web/produc ... s/eidh.JPG

Lately, I have contemplated the autism cards for extreme emergencies...after freaking out at the batchelorette party and then other uncomfortable social situations where I have been a hairsbreadth from losing it...or HAVE lost it...but I am pretty high functioning...If it weren't for the pacing back and forth on my toes in the grocery line while humming along with the sound of the drink cooler...(which i could control if I had to)...etc...I would seem completely normal... :wink:

i am wondering if there is a card for higher functioning people on the spectrum.

I was talking about this with my very ASish friend and he wants one too. He seems just like a normal guy...but he is prone to awful meltdowns in public...not all the time..but sometimes

Has anyone a bit higher on the spectrum contemplated carrying a card for emergencies, and if so, what would your card say?

Some of the things on the pre-made cards apply to me but certainly not all of them

http://okparentnetwork.org/v-web/produc ... s/eidv.PNG

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 10:07 am

I think the one from the NAS website is quite good (don't know if you can still download it. Haven't been on that site for a while...). As with most cards, it is about autism on the whole, but does mention AS. I agree though that I would prefer to have one that says that my IQ is normal but my behaviour might not be all the time...

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 10:29 am

Wait a sec. That is one for HF people in my opinion.

It says 'in case of an emergency'. That's when you hope others will read that card.

Why would you need to hand out a card unless you're seriously affected by your autism in an emergency situation - in which you may be flapping at best or rocking, running away, unable to speak, have an atypical reaction to an injury, meltdown or something.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 12:58 pm

good point... :roll:

I have only had a relative few meltdowns in front of people I didn't know where I was unable to communicate what was going on with me, and this caused them to freak out. I would like to maybe explain on the card that I am having a bad time at the moment, but I don't always act this way.

Pretty soon I will be having to deal with a high volume of people because my venue is re-opening.
Some of these people will be very overbearing. Sometimes I would deal with the crowds with a series of signs like

"The Bartender is having a hard time speaking right now, but she can hear just fine"...with a list of drinks to choose from...or the bartender mood-o-meter with a happy/sad face...etc...

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 1:16 pm

http://www.aspergerinfo.com/ascard.htm

here's a good card describing AS.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 1:34 pm

poopylungstuffing,
what about getting a medical ID bracelet? what some people do with them is get their basic conditions engraved on the bracelet/necklace/whatever it is and also engrave 'look in wallet for further info' and put a card explaining in better detail whats going on.

am wear one due to doing 'runners' a lot-and then getting dealt with by police and strangers:
its cloth based [no shiny types for sensory reasons],not all companies offer the clothy type,that one is only in the child range,but they must be based on really fat children as that is medium and has a lot of strap left over.

am dont think they would be a problem for 'high functioners',as they are for any condition or severity,that may end up with self being misunderstood/treated wrongly etc.

if are interested in one,am recommend http://www.identifyyourself.com as they're in all countries-no importing needed,comes with a wallet card,and a wipe for the plate [which doesnt really do much but its free].

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 2:47 pm

i usually have card with me in walled and medical bracelet when im driving ...this far only one sitsuation while driving where i need it..suprisingly ihave been stop only 2 times in 2 years driving car

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 5:37 pm

How strange! I was thinking about this only hours ago. Literally. :o

buryuntime, that's a pretty good card. I'm going to save it to print out.

KingdomOfRats, the medical id crossed my mind. But I dismissed the idea since there isn't a whole lot of room for information on it, but your 'look further in wallet' idea is an excellent solution.

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 6:23 pm

Quote:
Attention:
The person who just handed you this card is on the autistic spectrum.
Normally, she does this fine, but sometimes she is unable to properly handle stress.
Please do not take her behavior personally. If you have been handed this card, it is likely because she is having a meltdown due to some form of sensory overload. This is a relatively normal occurrence for her. Please do not attempt to comfort her by means of physical contact. Give her space and she will be ok.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 6:29 pm

Sora wrote:
... in which you may be flapping at best or rocking, running away, unable to speak, have an atypical reaction to an injury, ...

Man, those are emergencies? I always do those. I flap nonstop when I go out, rock when I sit, can't talk to people, don't feel pain, etcetera. An emergency to me would be if I hit the "Hulk Smash" stage, which would require several men to stop (probably not even that).

Meltdowns, yeah, but simple symptoms of Autism? No way.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 1:29 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
Sora wrote:
... in which you may be flapping at best or rocking, running away, unable to speak, have an atypical reaction to an injury, ...

Man, those are emergencies? I always do those.

Yes. Normal symptoms should equate to the worst reactions of people who say they're pretty much normal, I think. Like, what's utopian to me is normal for those who say they're so HF they're almost normal and what's bad for them is normal for me and what's bad for me is normal for anyone lower-functioning than me.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 1:46 pm

Interesting.

I'd say if you are prone to episodes where people would go WTF but you couldn't explain, the best idea would be a Medi-Alert bracelet things. People may not know what's going on, but seeing one of those on someone normally gives notice that there is something they just don't know about.

Otherwise, if you have the presence of mind to get away from the thing causing you trouble, it would be easier to just do that.

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 3:00 pm

http://www.autismwestmidlands.org.uk/we ... malert.pdf

we get these in the UK.

thankfully i haven't had to use it yet, lol.x

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 3:27 pm

I have got an autism alert card which i got it from the NAS and it is fairly useful for me when i travel on me own.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 3:33 pm

You can actually have an autism card? never new that
I wouldn't get one though, because I'm that mild there would be no point, they are a good idea though for those that aren't though.

sbwilson
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Mar 2009, 3:53 pm

Jellybean wrote:
I agree though that I would prefer to have one that says that my IQ is normal but my behaviour might not be all the time...

I sure could have used a card just like this yesterday, when I took my son to the dentist to try and have ONE of his 5 cavities filled. Awful experience, I turned to the dentist (who had already p*ssed me off for attempting to restrain my extremely frightened son down) and said "What do you normally do for kids with sensory issues? He just nodded and said almost in a whisper "I know." then proceeded to tell Trent, "This is why we wanted you to wear the magic nose" in a VERY preschool tone of voice. Magic nose was the nitrous oxide (laughing gas) that they had already had him wear, and THAT was where the sensory disruption began to occur. Of course it did, he felt weird, and no one gave him the time, or the explanation of what he was going to feel like before giving it to him. I finally pulled my son up from laying back in the chair, something ELSE that makes him feel weird, and snapped "Book us at the hospital!! !" to the Dr & his assistant, who were talking to my 12 year old like he was 2!

Just because his reaction/behaviour seemed irrational, did not mean he has an intellectual impairment.

On the other hand, after we were home, and everything calmed down & dad got home, we all were able to share some good laughs about how RIDICULOUS the term "Magic Nose" sounded....... and THEY think WE'RE weird!! !