Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 2:02 am

So am at my mom's house the other day...quite a few people there...and all of a sudden I look and see the following:

1. mom touching her face, playing with her hair...
2. nice, twirling her hair...
3. me, playing with my hair...

Nobody else that was there was doing these things...

I am 99% sure I have AS...no doubt it comes from my mom's side...I think my mom has it...and I know her brother does too...My son was diagnosed and I soon realized that he did the same things my 85yr old grandma does too...she must touch everything in a store...anything soft, etc...she has to touch it...My niece has no diagnosis, except dyslexia...but her and I get along amazingly well...we have the same interests, etc...while her and my sister are total opposites...My son gets along best with my niece, my mom, my grandma, my uncle and another 3 yr old niece I have, who also twirls her hair, etc...

Just wondering...it seems I see other women and they do not do this...

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 3:23 am

It could be, but I've seen other non-AS people doing it. It could just be something people do when they're bored.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 5:29 am

It could be a stim, although if you have AS i highly doubt it would be your only stim. What else do you do?

Liopleurodon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Mar 2009, 10:16 am

Hair twirling is a stim. However, a lot of non-autistic individuals stim to some extent: hair twirling, foot tapping, lip biting and so on. So the fact that someone twirls hair a lot doesn't really tell you anything about whether or not they're autistic.