Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2005, 7:54 am

It is difficult when you know without much doubt that a family member is on the autistic spectrum, but either they deny it or aren't aware or it or other family members deny it or aren't aware of it.

On Christmas eve I talked to my sister about our mother, I told her and my dad that I suspected she has AS. My sister's observations of our mother backed up my observations and suspicions of her and even my sister said that she was told when she was 14 something was 'wrong' with our mother. But they did not even consider my suggestion that she has AS, are they blind or what.

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2005, 10:46 am

They sound more like they are in denial than blind. They can see the evidence but don't want to believe it sort of thing.

This is likely to be a delicate situation. Tread carefully, do your best to avoid raising emotions.

One thing to consider is that, would knowing that your mother has AS really help her? If not, perhaps it is best to drop it, since you'd be arguing about something that has no benefit...

If you think it will help her though, then help her.

Best of luck.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2005, 11:34 am

I think you also have to think about the way your family members will react - it has become clear after my diagnosis that my father has AS as well - which my mother uses as a way to pick on him (she has bi-polar and can be pretty vicious when she is depressed or drunk - I got both AS and bi-polar - some people have all the luck)
I know someone else who's son has AS (or she thinks so after knowing me - and I had always felt like her son was 'like me' so that makes sence) - but instead of using that as a way to help him and get to know his world better she uses it as an excuse for sympathy for herself (she is rather histronic to begin with but now her new peg is 'Can you believe I have an autistic son?!')

So I agree that you have to really think about if it will benefit someone to know . . .