Page 3 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 11:27 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Haliphron wrote:
The solar cycle and the seasons are predictable to some extent, but HOW can you control something like that? Do you see what I mean by things that cannot be controlled? We cannot control the weather but we can still predict it with a high degree of accuracy.
I personally am not concerned with the preservation of social foundations because such foundations DO NOT cater to the interests of outlying individuals like me! Since I dont have much in common with other people and have some very uncommon needs, its not rational for me to subscribe to ideologies that favor the group over the individual.

You control the effects to a great extent by planning around them, or even learning how to act in spite of them. I mean, crops are grown regularly without regard to seasons. In any case, I was talking more about social phenomena.

Well, the issue is that just reorganizing social foundations can be problematic. In any case, I do not see rational ideologies given that mankind is just a flawed thing. No rationalization could ever make people happy or work together in an ideal manner, but I see some of the reason for your notion. It is just that a lot of people hold to ideologies because that is how they see the world as working.

The ALSO hold onto these ideologies because those ideologies make THEM happy and are in their rational self-interest. Emotions seem to be a HUGE factor in human decision-making and personal beliefs and many people assume that emotions are totally random and arbitrary but I happen to disagree. As for growing crops, how can you say that they are grown without regard to seasons when crops are plants who biological clocks are tuned to the rhythm of the seasons? But Im VERY intrigued about whether or not there are hidden variables in economics and econometrics as you suggest. Why would economies have essentially an infinite number of degrees of freedom..... :?

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 11:34 pm

Why would you want machines to mimic humans or any other animal for that matter?

Speaking of the quantum mind and machines, have you read of the early research into this by Alan Turing? He thought it was possible to create machines that think like humans. He also accepted psi as fact.

-Pythagoras

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 11:35 pm

Haliphron wrote:
The ALSO hold onto these ideologies because those ideologies make THEM happy and are in their rational self-interest. Emotions seem to be a HUGE factor in human decision-making and personal beliefs and many people assume that emotions are totally random and arbitrary but I happen to disagree. As for growing crops, how can you say that they are grown without regard to seasons when crops are plants who biological clocks are tuned to the rhythm of the seasons? But Im VERY intrigued about whether or not there are hidden variables in economics and econometrics as you suggest. Why would economies have essentially an infinite number of degrees of freedom..... :?

Well, yes, but few people will just say: "I think the world works in this manner because it makes me feel better".

I am not denying that emotions are a factor in human decision making, but rarely can they be made explicit in the same manner. After all, emotions are considered epistemically problematic, as the emotions of people can contradict those of other people without much ability to reconcile these issues.

Well, honestly, most research on the sources of growth of an economy show only about half of this is from capital and labor, the other half is this black box that is often labeled "technology", which from an economics perspective could be almost anything, even something without much connection to the sciences.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 12:42 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Haliphron wrote:

Well, yes, but few people will just say: "I think the world works in this manner because it makes me feel better".

I am not denying that emotions are a factor in human decision making, but rarely can they be made explicit in the same manner. After all, emotions are considered epistemically problematic, as the emotions of people can contradict those of other people without much ability to reconcile these issues.

Well, honestly, most research on the sources of growth of an economy show only about half of this is from capital and labor, the other half is this black box that is often labeled "technology", which from an economics perspective could be almost anything, even something without much connection to the sciences.

The bulk of religious beliefs about a afterlife and a superior being acting as a bulwark against chaos are all a matter of feeling good about their paradigms and with very little validation in nature.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 12:49 am

Magnus wrote:
Why would you want machines to mimic humans or any other animal for that matter?

Speaking of the quantum mind and machines, have you read of the early research into this by Alan Turing? He thought it was possible to create machines that think like humans. He also accepted psi as fact.

Living animals (including humans) have taken thousands of millions of years to evolve their ingenious mechanisms, many of which are still unexplored. These mechanisms have fine tuned their abilities far beyond much of current technology and if these mechanisms become understood their mechanical equivalents would release a flood of extremely useful technology for human use. Merely completely understanding living ability to capture sunlight efficiently and cheaply for energy would have a huge impact on human life.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 1:13 am

Sand wrote:
The bulk of religious beliefs about a afterlife and a superior being acting as a bulwark against chaos are all a matter of feeling good about their paradigms and with very little validation in nature.

Apologists are constantly employed to provide validation. It can be argued that this validation is flawed, but it usually seems sufficient to most people who read it.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 1:44 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Sand wrote:

Apologists are constantly employed to provide validation. It can be argued that this validation is flawed, but it usually seems sufficient to most people who read it.

But that sufficiency emphasizes my point.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 1:59 am

Sand wrote:

Not really, if you are ignorant on a matter, then an apologist seems very authoritative as they say that the resurrection of Christ is the best known historical fact in existence, that the proofs of God are irrefutable, etc. I mean, apologists might have dishonest arguments, but they are somewhat intelligent.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 2:30 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Sand wrote:

Not really, if you are ignorant on a matter, then an apologist seems very authoritative as they say that the resurrection of Christ is the best known historical fact in existence, that the proofs of God are irrefutable, etc. I mean, apologists might have dishonest arguments, but they are somewhat intelligent.

But the quality of the argument is crucial. What sways a believer into accepting inferior logic (or, to a large extent, no logic at all) is the desire of the adherent ot believe which is pretty totally emotional. It is pretty evident, even to the casual neutral observer, that nature is not either beneficial or detrimental to humans by intent but there are many more wrong ways for nature to act in preserving life than ways that re-enforce benefits. To accept that nature (or God) is prejudicial in favor of humans or even life itself is a huge emotional indulgence. All environments outside the extremely thin skin of the surface of this planet would destroy life immediately and rather nastily.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 2:39 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Haliphron wrote:

Well of course people arent going to be honest about it! :lol: And maybe they dont always consciously ratiocinate it that way. But MANY people do prefer belief systems and worldviews that give them a sense of reassurance.

lucy1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Mar 2009, 2:50 am

Haliphron wrote:
So machines can NEVER become as complex as human or animals? Even if they're controlled by quantum computers for which quantum nondeterminism CAN factor into the state of the machine? Why is this impossible?

If they ever come to fully understand all the complexities related to function of the human mind........ then I will accept it is possible to factor these complexities into a machine.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 2:51 am

Sand wrote:
But the quality of the argument is crucial. What sways a believer into accepting inferior logic (or, to a large extent, no logic at all) is the desire of the adherent ot believe which is pretty totally emotional. It is pretty evident, even to the casual neutral observer, that nature is not either beneficial or detrimental to humans by intent but there are many more wrong ways for nature to act in preserving life than ways that re-enforce benefits. To accept that nature (or God) is prejudicial in favor of humans or even life itself is a huge emotional indulgence. All environments outside the extremely thin skin of the surface of this planet would destroy life immediately and rather nastily.

The issue is that the ability to evaluate an argument is not something that all people will perfectly have. Some believers have no logic, belief is their team, but this is the same with many non-believers. In fact, belief in evolution is usually done without logic as well. In any case, there are many very educated apologists, and I would not hand-wavily dismiss them all as hopelessly illogical. Just as people.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 2:55 am

lucy1 wrote:
Haliphron wrote:
So machines can NEVER become as complex as human or animals? Even if they're controlled by quantum computers for which quantum nondeterminism CAN factor into the state of the machine? Why is this impossible?

If they ever come to fully understand all the complexities related to function of the human mind........ then I will accept it is possible to factor these complexities into a machine.

Who's "they"? If you are referring to machines undestandng the complexities of the human mind than what you just said above is a tautology and is without meaning.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 3:01 am

Haliphron wrote:
Well of course people arent going to be honest about it! :lol: And maybe they dont always consciously ratiocinate it that way. But MANY people do prefer belief systems and worldviews that give them a sense of reassurance.

The issue is that it is difficult to say "I believe this for selfish reasons" and "I believe this because it is true". By affirming one, you seem to deny the other, unless you see the 2 as the same, in which case you have massive epistemic confusion.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 3:16 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Haliphron wrote:

The issue is that it is difficult to say "I believe this for selfish reasons" and "I believe this because it is true". By affirming one, you seem to deny the other, unless you see the 2 as the same, in which case you have massive epistemic confusion.

So we bounce back to this mysterious "true" again. What is your standard?

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 12:06 pm

Magnus wrote:
You can probably predict human behavior the same way a primatologist can predict a chimp's behavior. I don't think machines are more complex than most animals, especially humans. To try to put us in that robot category is just wishful thinking that stems from a desire to control something about humans, or at least know some absolute truth about human behavior. Animals can be unpredictable and humans do have a free will despite all of our instincts.

It is assumed a priori that humans have total free will but there is mounting evidence against this. If it were truly impossible to control and manipulate people then civilization would not exist.