Page 1 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

omega
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Dec 2005, 3:43 pm

What is your Dewey test score?

http://home.iae.nl/users/jhjess/DST/index.html (test available in English, German and French)

My score was 7, which I think is a typical NT score. But I find the results page (Gathered data) somewhat confusing.

shivanataraja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2005, 5:02 pm

I also scored 7, which apparently is "not indicative for problems with social interpretation"... despite the fact that i a) have a diagnosis of Asperger's, and b) know i have problems with social interpretation... :roll:

my "comments" which i put on the form:

Quote:
i found some questions difficult to answer because it wasn't indicated whether "normal" means simply "i know that this is normal, in our society" or whether it also indicates *approval*... some things, such as the diabetic woman's strategy at parties, are imo "normal", for our society, but people shouldn't have to do them, whereas other things are, imo, perfectly acceptable, but i wouldn't call them "normal" because not many people would actually do them... thus, i didn't say anything was "shocking", because to me that implies moral disapproval, and there wasn't anything in any of the above examples that either horrified me (tho the diabetic example slightly saddened me) or that i actually found morally "wrong"... then again, i am a libertarian ;)

i think my main point there is, to have "normal" and "shocking" (two words that aren't obviously linguistically opposite) as opposite extremes implies either that normality should be equated with moral goodness, or that people cannot or should not be shocked by that which our society considers "normal". it's probably worth pointing out that many of these examples which would be considered "normal" in mainstream western society could be considered "eccentric" or even "shocking" in other cultures, or vice versa.

interesting test, anyhow...

basically, i think their concept of "normal" is far too subjective to be useful...

(i thought from the thread title this would be about testing people's knowledge of the Dewey library classification system... :D )

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

27 Dec 2005, 7:15 pm

Quote:
score: 11
This is not indicative for problems with social interpretation.

I have no idea what, exactly, this means. What is the score out of? What is a 'normal' score?

And Shivanataraja, I agree--their concept of 'normal' is confusing. Normal for who? Our society? Someone else's? For you personally or for people 'in general?' Tha one story with the fellow and the sleeping in the yard bit--I wanted to put 'extremely shocking' on the last question mainly because I would never fall alseep in the home of someone I don't know and trust very much, because I have issues about that sort of thing; thus, for me it would be incredibly out of the ordinary to curl up and go to sleep in someone's home. However, I am well aware that not everyone has issues with trusting or sleeping the way I do, so I toned it down to 'rather odd.'

I tried to take a look at the gathered data part for clarification, but that only made things worse!

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2005, 7:44 pm

Scored a 6 here. I had similar troubles as Shiva, I often wasn't sure whether to judge the person's behavior or their described intentions (which I wouldn't be able to judge if I saw that behavior IRL). For instance, the man who tried to loosen the baby's diaper pin, if I saw that behavior IRL I'd probably freak out and alert the mother, but the intentions stated in the test weren't exactly horrible. Still I decided on an answer of shocking for that one. Also, with the story of the man who checked an envelope because he couldn't remember the woman's name: that's the sort of thing I would do as the anxiety of having to ask her name would probably be too much. But I know that sort of behavior could look real bad so I'd only do that if I was sure I could do it quick enough... that was a B answer for me.

Interesting to take for myself but I really doubt they're gonna get any useful data out of it.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2005, 7:52 pm

I got a 15. It was kind of a confusing test, and I don't see how the results could have anything to do directly with what was being asked.

omega
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Dec 2005, 8:24 pm

Well I am glad to hear I am not the only one that is confused by this test. So it probably just s%^ks.

But the idea is that you try to imagine how normal people would think about the things that happen in the stories. And that you answer what you think that they would think if they would see it happening. But I certainly agree their idea of normal is too subjective (as shivanataraja already said).

I also think I know what they expect normal people to think in these cases (and that is what the test seems to be about). But these cases seem too simple to me. I usually do find it very difficult to know what's normal to think and do in new situations though. Also if others seem to have no problem at all in these new situations.

Naman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Dec 2005, 8:40 pm

The test itself was interesting, but the results (I got an 8) made no sense to me. I'm not sure what they're going for, or why.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

27 Dec 2005, 8:45 pm

I'm curious; is there anyone who took it that it DIDN'T confuse? Someone should email this lady and tell her that most people can't make heads or tails of the wretched thing.

omega
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Dec 2005, 8:52 pm

Naman wrote:
(I got an 8)
= an 8 :)

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2005, 9:41 pm

My score was nine. What I want to know is a lower score indicative of "normal" behavior? The test doesn't give a coherent graph that illustrates the cut-off points on each extreme so I don't even know if I'm more "normal" or "eccentric".

Oh, and that graph made my head hurt...literally. Now will you excuse me while I take some Aleve and lie down on my rug....

hermit
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2005, 9:52 pm

I agree with everyone... confusing. I scored a 13.

AbominableSnoCone wrote:
Scored a 6 here. I had similar troubles as Shiva, I often wasn't sure whether to judge the person's behavior or their described intentions (which I wouldn't be able to judge if I saw that behavior IRL). For instance, the man who tried to loosen the baby's diaper pin, if I saw that behavior IRL I'd probably freak out and alert the mother, but the intentions stated in the test weren't exactly horrible. Still I decided on an answer of shocking for that one.

Interesting to take for myself but I really doubt they're gonna get any useful data out of it.

A good example of the confusing nature of the quiz. For the diaper Q, I chose "Fairly Normal". If I'd been just randomly in the park and saw it, I wouldn't have a clue as to the relationship between the woman and the man. So if I saw him attending to the baby, it would be normal.... if I saw him shaking the baby by his/her feet, THAT would be weird... but I'm just an observer, right? As a park visitor I shouldn't be privy to the information given in the little stories.

So, what's the "correct" answer? I knew it was an odd thing to do, but that was becuase I was informed beforehand. I think most of those Q's would have been better if they had gone like this: "Dave is eating lunch in the park when he sees a strange baby crying. Since nobody is around, he decides to check the baby himself. He goes over and checks the diaper for a pin."

A mix of information made it confusing- of course, it's possible it's a very cleverly designed test that is actually testing something... you never know.

Anyway it was entertaining!

Liorda
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Dec 2005, 10:33 pm

I got a 6. :roll: Was very confusing.

TuDoDude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2005, 12:06 am

Interesting site. Thanks for posting. Based on the format it seems as if the individual is compiling data for a larger study.

===========================================
score: 16
This is indicative for problems with social interpretation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of the scenarios were deeply troubling.

omega wrote:
What is your Dewey test score?

http://home.iae.nl/users/jhjess/DST/index.html (test available in English, German and French)

My score was 7, which I think is a typical NT score. But I find the results page (Gathered data) somewhat confusing.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2005, 2:45 am

I also scored 7. I think the test was crap. Whoever developed it didn't know what they were doing on a number of levels.

Bearsac-Debra
Toucan
Toucan

28 Dec 2005, 11:58 am

score: 12
This is indicative for problems with social interpretation.

If answering as myself I would have answered somw of the questions differently. I was basing the answers on what I thought of British NT public. If it was non british public I may have answered differently still.

EDIT-

I just did the test again, this time answering as i feel myself rather than what I thought the general publuc would think.

score: 5
This is not indicative for problems with social interpretation.

Last edited by Bearsac-Debra on 30 Dec 2005, 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2005, 12:19 pm

I scored an 8 but was a tad confused as to the point of some of the italics and on two of the italics I knew damn well I'd do it IRL, but that it's actually impolite. Oh well.

I know better than I do.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/