AUTISM AND MENTAL RETARDATION ARE DIFFERENT!

Page 4 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Whimsi-Cal
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2009, 4:01 am

garyww wrote:
I guess I messed up. I was PM'd that the 'girl' is a guy who isn't diagnosed but she/he was trying to tell me how to watch a video like a regular person, not realizing of course that I'm not a regular person, but an autistic person who apparantly is a surprise for her/him to encounter on a site for autistic people.

If you're not going to watch the video why argue about what he says on it? Seriously? Asking for help to watch the video is different then complaining about something you know nothing about. I often have trouble with instructions and situations but I ask for help before coming here with an attitude. There is a difference. My diagnosis status has nothing to do with any of this. Seriously... ..The girl in the avatar is actress Emily Browning. I am a guy. Any other attempts to insult me? I'm not sleeping right now Gary. :roll:

Whimsi-Cal
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2009, 4:11 am

Sora wrote:
I don't care if I repeat someone. I never read the topic beforehand but while I write.

I am sure that autism can influence the IQ negatively.

To have an ASD can lower your verbal score for one - even if you're a verbal individual - drastically, because you probably did not experience the social context and meaning of several words.

Perhaps you also have what is commonly called NLD/NVLD which affects your performance score significantly.

To have an ASD also means you probably missed part of a standard education (even just by being thrown out of the classroom) and this lack of general knowledge also lowers you score on several IQ tests. Another reason for not having a normal amount of general knowledge (basic physics, chemistry, history) could be special interests too. This lowers your verbal IQ score and might also give your problems with the overall understanding of the instructions. (Understanding most academic instructions right away is a learnt trait and something children learn starting with kindergarten/preschool/school.)

If you had a non-standard education or less than that your maths skills might be affected negatively. As could be your spelling knowledge. This does not mean your maths or spelling ability are impaired, but your knowledge of the subjects is atypically limited as compared to that of someone with a standard education.

More directly, sensory issues, communication impairments (speech and language), social deficits and repetitive behaviours and activities can occur in ASDs. These can also affect and lower the IQ score on a standardised test. And not so only temporarily but also for a prolonged period or all the time if your impairments are hard or even impossible to make up for.

And this is not even touching upon a possible direct genetic or neurological relationship of a cognitive delay and classical autism and PDD-NOS.

Next;

I do not think that physical/neurological aspects cause a cognitive delay on their own in many autistic people. Just personal perception though. I mean, look at the surprisingly many people labelled MR who fight different battles (metaphorically speaking) due to sensory issues or than some of non-autistic people also labelled with MR. How many are left that seem to have a low IQ and miserable adaptive skills due to more than ASD symptoms?

MR (as defined officially) is truly a huge part of the autistic spectrum.

Many autistic people test for a low general IQ and have issues with adaptive skills which absolutely is MR.

Doesn't mean they all have a single reason for their MR. And it's not as if MR is something horribly bad.

Besides,

maybe rather than pushing it far away, you should learn what it means and refrain from allowing that any person is treated 'like a ret*d'.

How is 'a ret*d' treated? You do not seem to accept it - just like many others find the cannot accept to be treated like that too.

Yet I don't see why those without MR are offended by the treatment and accusations they receive when they're thought to be MR. When at the same time, by explaining they have nothing to do with it, they don't mind that those with MR receive the same offending treatments and accusations.

'You can have everybody else but leave me alone'? I don't understand why anyone would have that thinking.

garyww wrote:
It is to bad that some people who are aspies don't realize how hard it is for some of us to watch these videos that have poor sound without transcripts or subtitles

Well I'm diagnosed with AS and it's not like I don't have that problem also. Don't really understand what's that got to do with AS now.

Danielismyname wrote:
*I guarantee that most individuals with Asperger's would be ret*d in regards to adaptive functioning compared to their peers (and they are, as I have a nice little study that says such)

Wait, I thought we can't have impaired adaptive skills.

I was actually talking in complete sentences before most kids were speaking their first words, but I had language problems with pronouncing things properly. I had to have speech therapy as a kid and for the most part I was removed from standard education. I was in special education. I had severe written communication problems and math problems. If you had tested me when I was a kid I probably would have tested very low IQ. It didn't mean that I was ret*d. I just had barriers to expressing my intelligence on their test. Years latter when I had improved all my skills I kept testing higher and higher.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 4:21 am

Some mentally ret*d people are indeed autistic, but hey, not all autistic are mentally ret*d! I see people with high IQs diagnosed as autistic. What do you have to say about this?

sketch
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Mar 2009, 9:21 am

i agree with this thread,
i mean i've been called a ret*d several times, mostly because im just not that social and not many people get to see the extent of knowlage i do have.
someone screamed out ret*d to me last week from a speeding car i just ignored it.
i figured well if people are going to go around offending me without considering how i feel or withot even knowing me first than it probebly makes me more intelligent than them when i dont waste my time awnsering.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 5:17 pm

DiabloDave363 wrote:
Oh my god. Ah.
Thank you Wrong Planet, for deleting the videos and I didn't leave the one one I did on YouTube. Yep.
[in a deep voice] Great job.
All right, er just open up Vegas.
Mental retardation and autism... they're different.
They're two different things.
But people and trolls wrongly group them together.
It's terrible. It sucks.
It's not really that good at all.

It's awful, having to see, many autistics and people, aspies, er., people on the spectrum, being wrongly grouped together with, erm, mental retardation.
And, just because, the mentally ret*d and autistics both (?) tantrums does not mean they're the same. Which is pretty much where the whole wrongly grouping thing comes in.
Autism mimics many other things, like Michael Savage said, you know, hate Michael Savage.
Michael Savage he (unintelligible) autism does(?) many things.
That's why I say autism may have the same reason, same effects, but it's for a different reason.
Autism is a Progressive Development Disorder [ed: no, it's a Pervasive Developmental Disorder] P D D.
In other words, your brain will grow at different rates at different times.
So in the end, it does balance out, and your brain is a good size. It's just that different parts of it will bear, be bigger than each other.
For example, your speech side may not be as big as your mathematical ability. And that, basically, your brain is wired differently. That's what autism truly is.
That's why it can't technically be cured.
It can be treated. If you get an early intervention, which would probably be a good thing for kids, or if you hit it early, like they did with me, then you know, if you get it when you're like three, erm, you're gonna be, and get all the counselling and help that, you know, that I did, then, you're probably gonna be fine.
But, erm, mental retardation, er, is brain damage. It can be caused from lack of oxygen when you're say, being born.
So, of course, that that mental retardation... to ret*d something means to slow it down. So, if your brain is ret*d, that means the execution events will be slower.
That's what mental retardation is.
And that's what autism is.
A PDD and brain damage.
Two different things that are being wrongly grouped together.
Why I made the video? The same reason I made the "How to spell Asperger's" video.
It's like, the trolls have this whole campaign.
Think of the trolls' campaign against autism as a body.
And think of this video as a gun, shooting at the kneecap... which is the whole retardation thing. Making the whole body, which is their whole campaign against autism, to collapse.
It's a weird analogy, but it'll have to do.
That's all I have to say.

19 Mar 2009, 5:35 pm

garyww wrote:
So who ever said mental retardation was the same as autism? Even ret*d people and autistic people know the difference so what is your point? You think we're all stupid or something or like poorly made vids?

If you look around on the web such as news articles on autism and look at the comments, you might be surprised how many people assume autistic people are MR because they can't talk and take care of themselves and do things for themselves. That's how they treat auties, they act like they are ret*d and don't know right from wrong because of their non verbalness and the fact they need care givers. Its a false assumption lot of people make about people who can't communicate or take care of themselves.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 5:41 pm

I think that is the point Dave was trting to make in his video but it came across in a counterproductive way and actually hurt his argument. His writen transscript is much better which isn't unusual since many of us are not to good on tape but write pretty well.

19 Mar 2009, 5:45 pm

I think he makes his videos to show the world about the truth about autism and he likes to share them with us, so he wasn't saying we thought MR was the same as autism.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 8:52 pm

garyww wrote:
. . . a ret*d with an IQ of 80 . . .

Retardation, in the official sense, is below 70. I'd send a "ret*d" of 80 to go look it up. :D

Actually, since we're all impaired, and autism is in the brain, and therefore mental, perhaps even those of us with high IQs are mentally ret*d, too, in our own sweet way, just not with respect to academic performance. My kindergarten teacher thought I was "simple". She didn't know I could already read, but in a way she was right.

And "ret*d" isn't that ret*d. The "ret*ds" of People First seem to be much better organized politically, both nationally and internationally, than we are. They organized worldwide in the 1970s. And we autists have virtually no political organization whatsoever.

At any rate, thank you lau for posting the transcript, and I think what DiabloDave is doing is generally a good idea, since there are plenty of people who don't read what's on the internet, but will watch a short video. I came across this recently with respect to my research on film content. Too bad I'm not in a position to make videos myself.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 9:16 pm

Well, my functional IQ is below 70, but my verbal IQ is above 130. I know a LOT that I just can't translate into living my life.

That's why it's so insulting when celebrities or politicians are called "functionally ret*d" as an insult. Some of us really are that way but we can still make great contributions to society.

The psychologist who diagnosed me said that my functioning is low, solely due to my Asperger's. Does that mean I am a low-functioning Aspergers, or a moderate to severe asperger's? I don't know..

but I do get tired of people using the word "ret*d" as an insult and then people viewing us as the same thing. It's just so over-simplified in most peope's heads.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 9:27 pm

Quote:
Actually, since we're all impaired, and autism is in the brain, and therefore mental, perhaps even those of us with high IQs are mentally ret*d, too, in our own sweet way, just not with respect to academic performance. My kindergarten teacher thought I was "simple". She didn't know I could already read, but in a way she was right.

By definition, a person with a high IQ cannot be mentally ret*d. Please speak for yourself, and leave me out of it; I will never classify myself as mentally ret*d.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 9:37 pm

I didn't mean to insult anyone. I was just thinking out loud. I don't really understand MR very well. It's not what I was taught it was.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 9:56 pm

I've heard of autism referred to as "social retardation" before. But it's not the same thing as the general delays you get with MR, which tend to be about equal across the board, while autism tends to have skills at all sorts of different levels, with some ahead and some behind your personal average. That's why it's easier to predict how MR will affect somebody by looking at the IQ, because it is more likely that the IQ will roughly reflect the general skill level. With autism, it's not that easy.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 7:39 am

My functional IQ is now around 80. When I was young it was much lower and most teachers pegged me as being ret*d. At one time I was diagnosed as having Borderline Intelectual Functioning, a form of mild retardation that encompasses IQ ranges of 50-75, roughly 6th grade level. Ironically I am still at around 6th grade level but now diagnosed as autistic. Many professionals are making MR diagnosis for individuals with IQ's up to 85 now and in some respects mildly ret*d people function much better than auties or even aspies who have more social problems. I think it's just the sting of the words ret*d or moron that bother me. I know I have certain functional differences and I personally don't care what the official diagnoses are.

GeomAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2009, 8:37 am

Basically they are different. No need to argue