""..but apparently that didn't please the South American church""

And there it is, again. The church. A girl gets raped but of course
the number one priority is to please the church. I dont know about
others, but i say; f**k that church. Set it on fire. I would very much
like to meet the god that sets these rules. So that i can beat the s**t
out of him for a week on end.

Here`s my church:

- Help the girl.
- Put two bullets in the back of the head of the guy that did it.
No one who has been put through that, should be having the
risk of ever seing that person again hanging over them.
You rape, you die. Had i been the result of a rape and he
was still alive, then i would spend my life hunting him down
to snuff him out. I would not rest until it was done.

The key thing here is, help the girl. How can that be hard
to figure out? Who cares what it takes and who cares what
some church thinks of something. Help the girl. If she wants
to keep it, ok. If not, ok. Just help her dammit!

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 11:10 am

anna-banana wrote:
only birth huh? you're either seriously undereducated or completely brainwashed.

What's the difference between a 9 month old fetus and a 1 day old infant? Birth.

Quote:
how about central nervous system?

The brain is formed at 8 weeks after conception. The brain is still developing 12 years after birth. Where to draw the line has a lot more to do with your philosophical assumptions than with scientific knowledge.

Quote:
ability to breathe and live on one's own?

Viability occurs before birth.

Quote:
how about consciousness, awareness of one's existence?

My definition of consciousness would not be present in infants at all, and only partially in toddlers, but I don't use consciousness as a dividing line over who/what is permissible to kill.

Quote:
I think no one here openly supports abortions in later stages of pregnancy unless complately necessary, so your comparing embryos to infants is ridiculous.

I compared fetuses to infants, not embryos. The fetal stage runs all the way up to birth. My point was that using birth as an arbitrary dividing line is ridiculous.

I'm not sure you're right about other people not supporting late term abortions. So far, you're the only non-pro-lifer on the thread to even imply that late term abortions are wrong.

The 9-year old's twins were at 4 months. They were not embryos. They had brains and fingers. They were not yet viable, but they certainly were past the stage of resembling tadpoles.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 11:42 am

ImTheGuyThatDidThat wrote:
""..but apparently that didn't please the South American church""

And there it is, again. The church. A girl gets raped but of course
the number one priority is to please the church. I dont know about
others, but i say; f**k that church. Set it on fire. I would very much
like to meet the god that sets these rules. So that i can beat the sh**
out of him for a week on end.

Here`s my church:

- Help the girl.
- Put two bullets in the back of the head of the guy that did it.
No one who has been put through that, should be having the
risk of ever seing that person again hanging over them.
You rape, you die. Had i been the result of a rape and he
was still alive, then i would spend my life hunting him down
to snuff him out. I would not rest until it was done.

The key thing here is, help the girl. How can that be hard
to figure out? Who cares what it takes and who cares what
some church thinks of something. Help the girl. If she wants
to keep it, ok. If not, ok. Just help her dammit!

No do not shoot the sicko rapist in the head, that is giving him an easy way out. I vote for sticking him in jail for life. That is a more long drawn out punishment.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 11:55 am

oli234 wrote:
Whatever defienition of consiousness you use the aurgument is the same, fetus under a ceartain stage of development don't experience it. Any form of consiousness relies on a significant amount of neural activity, neurons are nerve cells otherwise known as brain cells. Upto a ceartain point fetus don't have any.

The brain is formed by the beginning of the fetal stage.

Quote:
Yes there are such laws in the us. And the laws are made to match the scientific evidence as to what fetus at various stages are capable of feeling/experiencing.

No, they aren't. The laws in the US are incredibly permissive. They are not matched with scientific evidence at all.

Quote:
if doctors think someone in a comma will never wake up they usually terminate life support.

Sometimes doctors are wrong. But if they are right, the person in a coma will never be conscious again, whereas a fetus may not be conscious now, but will be in the future.

Quote:
Many phillosothical debates have been settled scientificly, earths posostion in regards to the heavens was once a debate.

That was a scientific question, not a philosophical one. Science can't tell us what ought to be, only what is.

Quote:
Yes you may believe anything you like, but when those beliefs are wholly irrational

8O

Quote:
and have have been tottally scientificly debunked

8O

If you want me to take these 2 statements as anything other than ridiculous and unfounded, try using some sort of logic or evidence.

Quote:
You're views only make sense by adhering to a strict relegious doctrine,

No, they make perfect sense on their own. My view is a philosophical position not based on religious doctrine.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 11:56 am

Ancalagon wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
only birth huh? you're either seriously undereducated or completely brainwashed.

What's the difference between a 9 month old fetus and a 1 day old infant? Birth.

who's talking about 9 month old foetuses? the Brazilian girl did NOT have an abortion at 9 months, you know it so why are you bringing this up? it's irrelevant.

Ancalagon wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
how about central nervous system?

The brain is formed at 8 weeks after conception. The brain is still developing 12 years after birth. Where to draw the line has a lot more to do with your philosophical assumptions than with scientific knowledge.

how about drawing the line at 12 weeks, when the CNS is almost fully developed and thus makes the foetus able to feel pain? just because the brain is formed doesn't mean that it actually works like it's supposed to. dead person's brain also is fully formed, but does it work? no.

Ancalagon wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
ability to breathe and live on one's own?

Viability occurs before birth.

again, we are not talking about late stages of pregnancy. I don't appreciate your trying to manipulate the discussion like that, let's stick to the subject shall we?

Ancalagon wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
how about consciousness, awareness of one's existence?

My definition of consciousness would not be present in infants at all, and only partially in toddlers, but I don't use consciousness as a dividing line over who/what is permissible to kill.

why not? I'm a vegetarian, so consiousness is a very important line to draw when deciding on what to kill or not. in countries that allow euthanasia, conciousness is even more crucial.

Ancalagon wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
I think no one here openly supports abortions in later stages of pregnancy unless complately necessary, so your comparing embryos to infants is ridiculous.

I compared fetuses to infants, not embryos. The fetal stage runs all the way up to birth. My point was that using birth as an arbitrary dividing line is ridiculous.

I'm not sure you're right about other people not supporting late term abortions. So far, you're the only non-pro-lifer on the thread to even imply that late term abortions are wrong.

The 9-year old's twins were at 4 months. They were not embryos. They had brains and fingers. They were not yet viable, but they certainly were past the stage of resembling tadpoles.

right, I know that you pro-lifers like to think that everyone who doesn't share your views is a mad, baby-killing feminist, but there already was a thread by Ed debunking that.

and even if I would agree that 4 months is a bit late for an abortion, this girl's case can't be compared to a case of someone who decides to abort for personal reasons. the girls case is actually a great example of when abortions SHOULD be performed, and IMHO in such cases abortion should be obligatory, even if the parents were psycho catholic fundies like the bishop who excommunicated them.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 12:01 pm

Woodpecker wrote:

No do not shoot the sicko rapist in the head, that is giving him an easy way out. I vote for sticking him in jail for life. That is a more long drawn out punishment.

well, if it was guaranteed that he would spend the time being everyone's b***h, then yes. otherwise, it's not really much of a punishment.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 12:11 pm

Most religions preach nothing but pure crap. Not just the Catholic church, either.

The babies would probably have died anyway, as they would be born of incestuous rape. The mother would have died too. Logic, people! Better two feti are killed before they even know what's going on, than a 9-year-old and two babies die painfully and slowly. Duh.

y es como un semestre"

Last edited by gina-ghettoprincess on 14 Mar 2009, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 12:13 pm

""No do not shoot the sicko rapist in the head, that is giving him an easy way out. I vote for sticking him in jail for life. That is a more long drawn out punishment.""

Yes, i did consider that...but its so much more efficient with the bullets.
And giving shelter and food to a rapist seems a bit over the top.
And, what about the people in jail, i`ve been to jail, the last thing
prisoners wants walking among them is a sexoffender - because
they end up beating them up and getting more time added to their
punishments. There was one sexoffender there when i was locked
up, he managed to hide it for a while - but the day it got out that
prison turned pretty chaotic - guards had to remove him and send
him to another unit for a while. Lets just say it got loud and violent,
really fast. 9 o`clock: normal. 10 minutes past 9: chaos 8O

The thing with the baby dying or not - the way i see it, it is the mothers
choice, no one elses. If she wants to kill it, then she should kill it and
no one else should stick their noses in her buisness.

I dont know how others feel, but i know had i gotten raped i would
have wanted the person who did it dead. Stone cold dead in a hole
in the ground asap.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 1:01 pm

anna-banana wrote:
Woodpecker wrote:

well, if it was guaranteed that he would spend the time being everyone's b***h, then yes. otherwise, it's not really much of a punishment.

I just looked this up -- apparently, the death sentence isn't available in brazil. Neither is life imprisonment. The maximum sentence is 30 years, and everyone is eligible for parole after 10 years.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 1:22 pm

Here the standard sentence for rape is
10 years 8O It varies, but i think that is
the number that is written down as a base,
But 10 years is for hard assault, violent rape,
so often one gets less then 10 years if
someone manages to find anything "not so
bad about it", if it was an accident or anything.

"Your honour, i was drunk and i tripped and fell
and she just happend to be where i landed and
by quincidence my zipper was open and i thought
she ment "yes" when she screamed no at me, how
was i to understand what she wanted, i`m totally
innocent in all this, she confused me and this is
just a misunderstanding...did i mention i was drunk..?
that helps my case doesn`t it..?".
:roll:

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 1:48 pm

anna-banana wrote:
who's talking about 9 month old foetuses? the Brazilian girl did NOT have an abortion at 9 months, you know it so why are you bringing this up? it's irrelevant.

Fetuses in general were brought up. Some fetuses are nine months old. :shrug: If you don't want to talk about fetuses in general, don't talk about abortion in general.

Quote:
how about drawing the line at 12 weeks, when the CNS is almost fully developed and thus makes the foetus able to feel pain? just because the brain is formed doesn't mean that it actually works like it's supposed to. dead person's brain also is fully formed, but does it work? no.

I don't know enough about the details to make the call off the top of my head, but this does sound fairly reasonable.

The 9 year old's twins were at the 4 month point, past this line.

Quote:
again, we are not talking about late stages of pregnancy. I don't appreciate your trying to manipulate the discussion like that, let's stick to the subject shall we?

Not sure why you think I'm manipulating anything. Or why abortion-in-general as opposed to the specific abortion discussed is off-topic. If my views are going to be attacked as "irrational" or "stupid", I'm going to defend them.

Quote:
and even if I would agree that 4 months is a bit late for an abortion, this girl's case can't be compared to a case of someone who decides to abort for personal reasons. the girls case is actually a great example of when abortions SHOULD be performed,

I actually said something similar to this in my first post on this thread. It's a lot like ectopic pregnancies. You can either kill one (or in this case two), or else you can do nothing and let everybody die. Kind of a no brainer.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 1:52 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
You can either kill one (or in this case two), or else you can do nothing and let everybody die. Kind of a no brainer.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say in my last post. You said it better, though.

y es como un semestre"

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 2:02 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
You can either kill one (or in this case two), or else you can do nothing and let everybody die. Kind of a no brainer.

yeah agreed. I wish catholic priests would use their brains every once in a while, but I guess they are too busy making little kid's lives hell.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 3:35 pm

Umm....kicked out of the Church? So be it! ....she'll do better in life without those ret*ds....

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 3:38 pm

Slightly related but not quite, we had a case these past few days in Quebec about a couple who were about to have a child, complications arose during giving birth and the parents decided that the baby should not be sustained. The ethic comeety of the hospital decided against that and kept the child alive. They say the child could have neurological problems due to the complications of the birth process (caused by lack of oxygen, etc.). The parents are now claiming 1 million dollars from the hospital because of the whole thing.

Anyone care to discuss? I can make a new topic if you guys want. ^^;

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 4:25 pm

phil777 wrote:
Slightly related but not quite, we had a case these past few days in Quebec about a couple who were about to have a child, complications arose during giving birth and the parents decided that the baby should not be sustained. The ethic comeety of the hospital decided against that and kept the child alive. They say the child could have neurological problems due to the complications of the birth process (caused by lack of oxygen, etc.). The parents are now claiming 1 million dollars from the hospital because of the whole thing.

so what does that exactly mean?