working in a multiple-manager setting

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

coralbell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Mar 2009, 9:40 pm

HR consultants sometimes host workshops on "self management" for admin people but does any of that training really help? I work as an admin assistant (contract) and have noticed a trend to a greater manager to assistant ratio. For example, I had a job in an office for three years, in which I served 10 consultants and two managers. In the autumn, I temped at a place where I served an office of two managers and 15 staff. In an environment where people compete for resources, it is sometimes hard for me to serve several people at once. Each person thinks that their work is the top priority. Some of them lie about deadlines just to get ahead of the next person. One of them lied every day, so eventually I just ignored him. Sometimes a manager will interrupt a high priority task for a staff member and play "rank" to get their work done ahead of the staff. Then the staff complain loudly that their work has been delayed.

A second but related problem is that I am often praised for my thoroughness and accuracy but criticized for not being as fast as the other staff. Thorough but too slow, it seems, even though my work is deliverd on time. I'm working in quiet frustration. I type 50 wpm and know all the standard office software programs. In fact, I am often the "helper" when other people have softare issues. My current contract ends in 6 weeks and I am trying to plan ahead for the next job. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 9:48 pm

Uhh ... right ... Hey, did you notice that you failed to post a T.P.S. report in the first paragraph? No? Well, you might want to review the employee's handbook regarding proper filing of corporate-related posts ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 11:01 pm

Laugh. I type 100wpm and I'm on top of a wall tied off at 20 feet nailing, screwing, and sawing all day as I handle peoples cell phone issues or tech questions on break...

Its a better mix, less stress. As to your question in the post - or to what seems to be the question. I think your screwed... doesn't sound like a effective environment to complete/do good work. :x

Fiat_Lux
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Mar 2009, 7:49 pm

I’ve been in a similar situation when I was working on two projects simultaneously and having to report to two project managers. Each project manager both expected me to devote all of my time to their particular project.

I got around this by making a list of all my activities on both projects, together with time estimates and completion dates, then presented the plan to both project managers and getting them to agree a priority order for my tasks. If you get plans on paper and formally agreed, you’ve got something to refer to if your managers start to make unreasonable requests. I’m not very good in an unstructured environment, so having a plan helped me to know what I had to do and when.

Maybe you could go to a senior manager to discuss the problem? Best of luck to you, hope that it’s not getting you down.

coralbell

13 Mar 2009, 7:46 pm

Quote:
I got around this by making a list of all my activities on both projects, together with time estimates and completion dates, then presented the plan to both project managers and getting them to agree a priority order for my tasks.

Thank you. This will really help with my next contract. Things are going fine right now. I'm in a good work environment, midway through an interesting project, and planning my work for the next six months.