AS vs. "normal variant of personality"

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:43 am

Lorna Wing wrote something about the diference between AS and a nomral variant of personality:

Quote:
Normal variant of personality

All the features that characterise Asperger syndrome can be found in varying degrees in the normal population. People differ in their levels of skill in social interaction and in their ability to read nonverbal social cues. There is an equally wide distribution in motor skills. Many who are capable and independent as adults have special interests that they pursue with marked enthusiasm. Collecting objects such as stamps, old glass bottles, or railway engine numbers are socially accepted hobbies. Asperger (1979) pointed out that the capacity to withdraw into an inner world of one's own special interests is available in a greater or lesser measure to all human beings. He emphasised that this ability has to be present to marked extent in those who are creative artists or scientists. The difference between someone with Asperger syndrome and the normal person who has a complex inner world is that the latter does take part appropriately in two-way social interaction at times, while the former does not. Also, the normal person, however elaborate his inner world, is influenced by his social experiences, whereas the person with Asperger syndrome seems cut off from the effects of outside contacts.

A number of normal adults have outstandingly good rote memories and even retain eidetic imagery into adult life. Pedantic speech and a tendency to take things literally can also be found in normal people.

It is possible that some people could be classified as suffering from Asperger syndrome because they are at the extreme end of the normal continuum on all these features. In others, one particular aspect may be so marked that it affects the whole of their functioning. The man described by Luria (1965), whose visual memories of objects and events were so vivid and so permanent that they interfered with his comprehension of their significance, seemed to have behaved not unlike someone with Asperger syndrome. Unfortunately, Luria did not give enough details to allow a diagnosis to be made.

Even though Asperger syndrome does appear to merge into the normal continuum, there are many cases in whom the problems are so marked that the suggestion of a distinct pathology seems a more plausible explanation than a variant of normality.

[The "underline" is mine]

Then, what is the point when we cease to have a "peculiar personality" and begin to have AS?

Not taking, at times, part in sucessful two-way social interactions and don't be influenced by social experiences? Well, many people diagnosed with AS have jobs, friends, are married, etc. This mean that they, sometimes, have sucessful two-way social interactrions (and probably are influenced by social experiences).

Severe impairment? But impairment is, many times, relative to the social context: a fish is "impaired" in land but not in water. In the same way, some individual can be very good at programing computers but severly impaired at selling used cars.

Sensory issues? But (I think) "sensory issues" don't appear in any "official definition" of AS, only in "classical Autism".

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 8:10 am

There's no appropriate to and fro social communication in people with Asperger's, unless it's heavily scripted, but that can easily be broken by bringing up something unexpected. People can still work, form relations, etcetera, it's just that the give and take of social interaction won't be there. It's simple, really. They're cut-off from external influence for they're so rigid in their thinking and they can't see the views of others.

It can manifest in a few ways, but they're easy to spot.

Read on to the clinical accounts of the patients, and that'll probably shed some light on it and the difference between "normal".

All of the stereotypical symptoms of ASDs that people say that they have are only really found in Autistic Disorder with a low IQ, and she even says it, as you're probably aware.

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Mar 2009, 8:15 am

Very little was known about AS back then. Perhaps Lorna Wing (unknowingly) was actually comparing "mild AS vs. severe AS/HFA" and not "normal people vs. AS".

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 8:22 am

Katie_WPG wrote:
Very little was known about AS back then. Perhaps Lorna Wing (unknowingly) was actually comparing "mild AS vs. severe AS/HFA" and not "normal people vs. AS".

Not really.

She took it straight from Hans' words (as well as conversing with people in other countries who kept on researching AS), but she added some more symptoms that she observed in her patients. The current diagnostic criteria come straight from this paper.

She compares it to Autism later on in the paper, HFA too (which she sees as being the one that resembles it the most), as well as several other similar conditions.

O, and she describes it here too (the impairment of to and from interaction, and how those with it are outside the normal range):
Quote:
Social interaction

Perhaps the most obvious characteristic is impairment of two-way social interaction. This is not due primarily to a desire to withdraw from social contact. The problem arises from a lack of ability to understand and use the rules governing social behaviour. These rules are unwritten and unstated, complex, constantly changing, and affect speech, gesture, posture, movement, eye contact, choice of clothing, proximity to others, and many other aspects of behaviour. The degree of skill in this area varies among normal people, but those with Asperger syndrome are outside the normal range. Their social behaviour is naive and peculiar. They rnay be aware of their difficulties and even strive to overcome them, but in inappropriate ways and with signal lack of success. They do not have the intuitive knowledge of how to adapt their approaches and responses to fit in with the needs and personalities of others. Some are over-sensitive to criticism and suspicious of other people. A small minority have a history of rather bizarre antisocial acts, perhaps because of their lack of empathy. This was true of four of the present series, one of whom injured another boy in the course of his experiments on the properties of chemicals.

Relations with the opposite sex provide a good example of the more general social ineptitude. A young man with Asperger syndrome observes that most of his contemporaries have girl friends and eventually marry and have children. He wishes to be normal in this respect, but has no idea how to indicate his interest and attract a partner in a socially acceptable fashion. He may ask other people for a list of rules for talking to girls, or try to find the secret in books (No. 1). If he has a strong sex drive he may approach and touch or kiss a stranger, or someone much older or younger than himself, and, as a consequence, find himself in trouble with the police; or he may solve the problem by becoming solitary and withdrawn.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 3:49 pm

The dividing line between ASD and NT is "significant impairment". That means it's a fuzzy line, and "normal" versus "mild ASD" isn't always going to be easy to distinguish. That's to be expected; it's a neuropsychological diagnosis that fades smoothly into the normal, not a bacterial illness you can detect with a lab test.

"Significant impairment" is presumed to be defined in terms of what exists without accommodations or unusually ASD-friendly environments. "Significant" doesn't mean "large" here, but "relevant"--that is, more than could occur by chance. Think statistical significance. And yes, that does mean that your preferred "level of significance" (how much impairment you think is important) will affect whether or not you diagnose somebody!

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 8:06 pm

TPE2 wrote:
Then, what is the point when we cease to have a "peculiar personality" and begin to have AS?

The point would be named by at least some people as the border between AS and BAP but it is less than clear and entirely conceptual as is the point between fitness and being unfit, between warm and hot and between night and evening.
Quote:
Not taking, at times, part in sucessful two-way social interactions and don't be influenced by social experiences? Well, many people diagnosed with AS have jobs, friends, are married, etc. This mean that they, sometimes, have sucessful two-way social interactrions (and probably are influenced by social experiences).

Lorna Wing is not communicating to the average lay person in this article but to people who have particular specialized understandings about words and concepts that might be interpreted differently outside this narrow context. She is also discussing children (not adults) and she makes no claims that children with AS, unlike children without AS, do not ever develop, grow or acquire skills. In fact from memory (it's been a long time since I read the paper) she explicitly stated that predicting prognosis into adulthood was beyond the limited data available to her at the time of writing.

Expanding on the point Danielismyname has made, I went to extraordinary efforts over a number of years to attempt to learn how to converse reciprocally and was still failing at it horribly. Everyone around me knew this and criticized me for it, but not one of them could easily put their finger on the problem because they did not have to explicitly learn this skill and so had little to no explicit understanding of it.
Quote:
Severe impairment? But impairment is, many times, relative to the social context: a fish is "impaired" in land but not in water. In the same way, some individual can be very good at programing computers but severly impaired at selling used cars.

Again, you are interpreting the text as though it were written for lay-people instead of a particular audience who bring particular understandings to their interpretation of the text.

The text does not refer to any old impairment that one could conceive of, but rather of impairment in species typical competencies (or in some cases species typical competency potential) where this lack or deficiency of competency is outside the range of normal and has meaningful impacts on one's life. Not being able to sell a used car easily is not necessarily outside the range of normal, and few people would suffer meaningful impact on their lives as a result of not being able to easily sell used cars.

Quote:
Sensory issues? But (I think) "sensory issues" don't appear in any "official definition" of AS, only in "classical Autism".

That's not relevant to whether or not the condition exists though is it? HIV was once not referenced in relation to AIDS, that did not mean either HIV or AIDS did not exist.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 8:16 pm

I don't see what's with all the referencing really old research lately. I understand the history of the discovery of autism is important, but doesn't there come a time when you have to move on to what people have been researching lately?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 9:11 am

Danielismyname wrote:
There's no appropriate to and fro social communication in people with Asperger's, [unless it's heavily scripted, but that can easily be broken by bringing up something unexpected.

Thanks, I don't have Aspergers any more then, you've just cured me! :lol:

Depends who's Aspergers we're talking about I suppose.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 9:37 am

You need 2 out of 4 criteria to be diagnosed. Only one of those criteria is no reciprocal communication. I don't have that one.

I'm with the "significant functional impairment" piece all the way. It's straight from the DSM.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 5:05 pm

I suspect it's less of the taking part in two-way interaction than the understanding of it. The difference between a 'geeky' person and a person with AS is that the geek might opt to spend much time with their special interests rather than interacting with others, but when they are called upon to do so, they are able to, despite perhaps coming over as a bore. They have little or no trouble comprehending the actions, motivations and subtleties of others; they simply choose not to become very involved. The AS person, though - even if they want to get involved - still has a lot of difficulty doing so because of that lack of understanding. It's choice versus ability.

pavel_filonov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2009, 5:33 pm

This issue is always interesting. Most people I really like and get on with have some kind of all consuming interest, be it music, books, sport, whatever. Yet none of them are diagnosed with aspergers, nor do they have any need to be, (they don't even have much interest in the subject). I have always taken this to mean that social impairment is key in deciding who falls on which side of the line.

My first thought upon reading that quote was that, actually, I do have some meaningful relationships and 'appropriate two way interaction'. Then I thought about it harder and realised that the only people I can really have a good conversation with are my boyfriend and my mother. On the rare occassions I get to have a natural feeling conversation with someone else I feel like jumping up and punching the air in jubilation. And if the paper is talking about children, then yeah, I had nothing even near to a 'friendship' in my early childhood... and all the 'friendships' I had up until I was in my teens were really quite bizarre.

As much as the whole thing is on a sliding scale, this gives me a good explanation of what makes me different from someone a bit awkward or 'nerdy', and I'll probably keep the link to show it to anyone who thinks that aspergers is 'just a bunch of nerds giving themselves a fancy name' or words to that effect.

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 5:42 pm

TPE2 wrote:
Lorna Wing wrote something about the diference between AS and a nomral variant of personality:

Quote:
Normal variant of personality

All the features that characterise Asperger syndrome can be found in varying degrees in the normal population. People differ in their levels of skill in social interaction and in their ability to read nonverbal social cues. There is an equally wide distribution in motor skills. Many who are capable and independent as adults have special interests that they pursue with marked enthusiasm. Collecting objects such as stamps, old glass bottles, or railway engine numbers are socially accepted hobbies. Asperger (1979) pointed out that the capacity to withdraw into an inner world of one's own special interests is available in a greater or lesser measure to all human beings.

Maybe Hans just wanted his name up in lights?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 10:06 pm

whitetiger wrote:
You need 2 out of 4 criteria to be diagnosed. Only one of those criteria is no reciprocal communication. I don't have that one.

In theory, you should have PDD-NOS rather than AS per the DSM-IV-TR if you can participate in the give and take of social interaction (Atypical Asperger's). As the text explains that the social deficits of Asperger's nearly always manifest in a one-sided and verbose approach to others (a lack of social and emotional reciprocity in other words).

Of note, you'll find that they only say "2 of so and so" because many symptoms can't be assessed in a clinical environment. Most times, there's the whole lot as per the descriptions in the expanded text.

GuyTypingOnComputer
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2009, 10:28 pm

Under the DSM, where the line is drawn between Asperger's and Normal is somewhat arbitrary and will remain so until an underlying neurological/genetic/biological condition can be identified.

I have seen different numbers on the prevalence of Asperger's -- 1 in 300 is the most recent statistic I have seen. This fits the prevalence in my son's elementary school where 3 kids have been diagnosed on the spectrum out of all of the students K through 6.

The kids who were diagnosed had "clinically significant impairments" which caused the school to evaluate the kids which led to the diagnosis. There was no debating whether they met this "impairment" criteria and there is a clear gap between those kids and the other students. If we started with the entire student population and tried to determine which kids superficially fit the DSM criteria, we could probably come up with a lot more students -- likely the normal variant of personality -- but these kids would be clearly different than the diagnosed Asperger's group (based on my own observations).

I guess I can't really explain the difference between the two groups, and maybe the DSM doesn't clearly describe the difference either. "Detachment" maybe? I have to give this more thought.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2009, 4:07 pm

I would like to see more generalized statements include the information--relative to what? By what yardstick are you measuring this?

Relative to the socially accepted way of doing things we may appear naive and peculiar.

Relative to us, society's ways of doing things is insensitive, illogical, boring, superficial, deceitful, extravagant, sheep-like, ignorant, frivolous and rigidly resistant toward innovation. Is there any rational explanation for why we are being judged by these creatures and their social habits? And not the other way around?

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2009, 8:56 pm

Alba wrote:
Is there any rational explanation for why we are being judged by these creatures and their social habits? And not the other way around?

It is a common and utilitarian tool for investigation, to find the typical range, and use it as a base-line for comparison.

That the base-line is found by finding a "typical range" does not pre-determine the results. Individuals are measured according to their "adaptivity" to their environment and their relative advantage/disadvantage as a result of traits varying from the typical is then used to measure the adaptivity of a trait.

Deviation from the range of typical can be entirely neutral (in the individual's environment, there is no particular disadvantage or advantage relative to the others of its kind dependent on deviation), advantageous (advantage relative to others arises from the deviation), or disadvantageous (disadvantage relative to others arises from the deviation).

Note the measure is advantage/disadvantage, not moral/immoral. In measuring function/adaptivity, we are not measuring how "nice" we think an individual is, we are measuring their success in their environment.