How I overcame my depression.

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 2:45 am

CerebralDreamer wrote:
Orbyss wrote:
This sounds more like compensatory measures and not a way to treat the underlying problem, and a popular one, at that. It works, yes, and I've actually seen many people try this, but in the end they seemed to suffer. That is the problem with compensation. My mom's boyfriend does this, and she's in a shedload of denial about a lot of things. As I just said in another thread on here, it has nearly destroyed my boyfriend's life, especially since he learned it.

Everyone makes their own choices, but I want to throw a little counterbalance in this thread, too.

If you had read a bit more carefully, you would understand I said there are good people out there. The world itself, yes, it can go to hell, but there are good people out there I would go out of my way to help.

In fact, these issues of isolation as a coping mechanism seem to be irrelevant in relationships when they do come along. When I have someone I can trust enough to let them that close, I'm keen to turn to them for comfort instead of isolating myself as a coping mechanism.

My point was that in learning to understand myself, I still didn't have the complete picture. I saw nothing wrong with who I was. When I focused on understanding others, and their motives, I became jaded to a great majority of the species and realized I didn't want to be a part of that. I realized I could be happy alone if I found something to occupy myself. If someone comes along, great, if not, that's fine too.

The point isn't to avoid everyone alive, but to become apathetic to what they think and feel about me. Since then I've been more confident, happier, and surprisingly I'm noticing a lot of romantic signals that I see no point in acting on, at least for the present time. The world seems more like a game to me than anything, now that I'm confident I know how it works.

Yep. I saw nothing wrong with myself and decided to focus on understanding NTs and then it all hit me with a bang but then I felt jaded. Now I understand them, they don't make me anxious/depressed.

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 2:48 am

Orbyss wrote:
CerebralDreamer wrote:
Orbyss wrote:
This sounds more like compensatory measures and not a way to treat the underlying problem, and a popular one, at that. It works, yes, and I've actually seen many people try this, but in the end they seemed to suffer. That is the problem with compensation. My mom's boyfriend does this, and she's in a shedload of denial about a lot of things. As I just said in another thread on here, it has nearly destroyed my boyfriend's life, especially since he learned it.

Everyone makes their own choices, but I want to throw a little counterbalance in this thread, too.

If you had read a bit more carefully, you would understand I said there are good people out there. The world itself, yes, it can go to hell, but there are good people out there I would go out of my way to help.

In fact, these issues of isolation as a coping mechanism seem to be irrelevant in relationships when they do come along. When I have someone I can trust enough to let them that close, I'm keen to turn to them for comfort instead of isolating myself as a coping mechanism.

My point was that in learning to understand myself, I still didn't have the complete picture. I saw nothing wrong with who I was. When I focused on understanding others, and their motives, I became jaded to a great majority of the species and realized I didn't want to be a part of that. I realized I could be happy alone if I found something to occupy myself. If someone comes along, great, if not, that's fine too.

The point isn't to avoid everyone alive, but to become apathetic to what they think and feel about me. Since then I've been more confident, happier, and surprisingly I'm noticing a lot of romantic signals that I see no point in acting on, at least for the present time. The world seems more like a game to me than anything, now that I'm confident I know how it works.

Well, I read it over a few times and it still wasn't quite clear to me, so it wasn't that I was skimming. I get your point now. All I can say is that if it works, it works. But I just like to caution that it may not be good to fall on any one single way to cope, though you may have gone through a lot of attempts. Really, that's all.

People are certainly difficult to deal with, though, and it is one big game out there. I've been realizing how scant empathic responses are in the general population recently. It's disheartening, but sometimes playing the game can be fun for me. Whatever works, as I said. Having a good grasp of the big picture is a huge plus.

It's quite clear you don't understand what he's saying.

Orbyss
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 2:51 am

There are always things anyone can improve in themselves, however, so I don't agree that there's necessarily 'nothing wrong'. I don't think it's really a wrong or right situation, it's more about adaptation and flourishing, if that makes any sense.