Am I the only one that gets really bad period pain?

Page 1 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 12:06 am

For about 10 years I've been having extremely bad period pain.
The worst day is the first day. It can start even before I bleed.
I have tried so many things to stop the pain: ibuprofen/panadol, the pill, a good diet, exercise, no alcohol, even cutting out meat and dairy.
Nothing really seemed to work. Naproxen only works if I take it exactly 3 days before my period for 3 days. That's about 12 pills. If I don't get my period after those days, because it can be late, I stop taking the pills so when I get my period I still get the severe pain.
So, if Naproxen doesn't work this time I'm thinking about taking codeine, which was recommended to me before I bought the Naproxen.
Can anyone relate? Can anyone recommend a pain killer that will make me so dumb it's impossible to feel pain.
I hear that after child birth the pain becomes less severe, but I'm not going to such extreme lengths as that.

15 Mar 2009, 12:34 am

I have gotten really bad cramps it felt like I was constipated and the pain would go right down to my upper legs, sometimes it go up my lower spine. One day I woke up from it.

Birth control pills help. I put myself back on birth control when my cramps got real bad. It helped a lot.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 12:49 am

Its been much better since starting the pill but for several years before that it was horrible. I would have to take insane amounts of ibuprophen and if I didn't I would soon be throwing up because of the pain. It would also cause me digestive problems where I would feel very wrong after eating and even hours later what I had eaten would not be digested at all. It was terrible.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 1:57 am

Yeah, when I get period pain at times I can't digest what I eat. It just comes right back up. I was on the pill but went off because it gave me PMDD. I could possibly go on another brand.

hostile_fossil
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2009, 7:37 am

I definitely feel for you. :( I can also relate completely. While I've never vomited from period pain, it's definitely gotten bad enough where I've had to take time off of work or school just to rest it off.

Some things you can do to lessen the pain: exercise of some sort, and cut down on salty foods.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 8:15 am

Good news: it gets better as you get older.

I used to get excrutiating cramps and aches when I was a teenager and in my early twenties. When I was a teenager, the pain was often so bad that all I could do was lie down and cry. Most women have less pain as they get older.

The only thing I ever found that helped was to make a tea from dried rosemary. By the time I finished the cup of tea, the pain would be gone.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 3:01 pm

I guess I'm lucky that when I had problems, ibuprofin did the trick.

In the old days, they used morphine (I think).

There are trigger points on your lower back that you could massage. That might help a bit for sudden flareups.

Also, if it's that painful, perhaps you might have endometriosis? Have you been checked for it? I knew someone who had it who used an estrogen cream and she said it helped a lot.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 3:21 pm

Mine hurts really bad too.
But I now skip my periods with Sesonal birth control... its a big pack of pills that allows you to have a period once every 3 months. The periods still hurt, but not as much, and I have freedom for 3 months!

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 9:21 pm

I also have this issue with excessive pain/discomfort. In fact those few months my monthly is not proceeded by extreme pain, I am caught by surprise. I do not keep track via the calendar and only know I am due for uterus-lining purging when the pains start up.

However, as Anenome points out, the kind of pain you are experiencing could be a symptom of endometriosis, and if the pain is interfering with your quality of life, and endometriosis has not been medically excluded, it might be a very good idea to look into this possibility.

LosFrida
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2009, 9:34 pm

CelticRose wrote:
Good news: it gets better as you get older.

I used to get excrutiating cramps and aches when I was a teenager and in my early twenties. When I was a teenager, the pain was often so bad that all I could do was lie down and cry. Most women have less pain as they get older.

The only thing I ever found that helped was to make a tea from dried rosemary. By the time I finished the cup of tea, the pain would be gone.

I had the same experience- excruciating cramps for the first year and a half and then complete cessation. Unfortunately I never found a remedy that worked, other then massive amounts of sleep, mainly to escape the pain.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 9:53 pm

I would always try to get to sleep when the pain got really severe, even if I was sweating under my sheets.

I just had a double dosage of panafen plus (ibuprofen + codeine). The first dose made me a bit drowsy but I still had pain, so I had another dose and the pain subsided and I'm double the drowsy. This definitely looks like my best solution.
Thing with Naproxen is it stops the uterus contracting, completely eliminating that severe pain, but the panafen just targets pain and stops the body from reacting to pain. But taking Naproxen 3 day before my period for 3 days is a bit expensive and a lot of effort. And if I calculate wrong I still get that pain.

I took some advice from here, like no salt, alcohol and have some exercise before my cycle. So thanks and if anyone else has this type of pain take panafen, panadeine or tylenol 3 - it's great! I really wish I knew about these strong period painkillers before. My doctor put me on the pill instead of recommending them.

MomofBrizzle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2009, 1:51 am

I used to get bad cramps up to a week and a half before and during my period. It was horrible. I was dxed with pcos (you can google that) and my obgyn put me on birth control and told me to skip the spacer pills, I have not had a period in almost 2 years. *Bliss*, but I am a little worried about that. Does anyone know what I might be doing to my body by not letting nature take its course? I know I should ask my ob but I just haven't yet. I don't really want to stop as this is working for me so well.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 4:10 pm

I got my first period when I was 10. Since I'm 13, I have gotten really bad cramps.

I can't take Naproxen or Ibuprofen because they give me terrible allergies.

I take Butilhioscin/Paracetamol, but this medicine doesn't really work. So I just skip all my activities, go to bed, and try to sleep to minimize the pain.

At least now I don't feel nausea or fever like when I was 13-18 years old.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 6:28 pm

i get bad period pain too.

I take ponstan for it, sometimes nurofen.
if you take it at the very first sign it works pretty good.

Ravenchild
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2009, 7:49 pm

If you can get something like dihydrocodeine, it will probably work. You can take it with high doses (1g) of paracetamol at the same time, or stagger the doses, as they work on different systems. Most doctors are wary of prescribing something that strong, but I assure you, it works! There may be some side-effects, though, which can be worse for those on the spectrum (I have a bad reaction to some painkillers, but it's the lesser of two evils) so you might have to be a bit careful when using them.
One of the effects of DHC is a kind of "knock-out" if you're not used to that dose. It certainly helps me sleep!

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

01 Apr 2009, 11:09 pm

I can relate.
The doctor recommended the birth control pill & it did nothing for the pain. Once I ended up taking about 18 nurofen plus tablets in 12 hours & then spent all night worried I was going to puke them back up...still with period pain!
I'm still taking the pill & often skip periods because I really don't want to experience the agony.