Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

JuliaLear
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Mar 2009, 1:49 am

First, I would like to say that my brother is eighteen and about to graduate high school in June. He has yet to get his driver's license, and is very passionate about driving. He has high functioning autism/aspergers. He was diagnosed when he was a baby.

My brother doesn't have many friends his own age. We would love to get him involved with some sort of group where he could feel connected.
He is very aware of his autism, and sometimes plays it up. I can see him 'dumbing' himself down to get away with certain things.
His social skills are not very developed, and only in the past 3 years have I noticed more confidence. He has a speech impediment that, I believe, really holds him back from expressing certain things.
He has only one friend that is about 5 years younger than him. I think he chooses that friend because he feels in some way equal. I know that sounds weird, but he doesn't choose to communicate with any of his friends from school.
He is in special ed and I have personally seen his classmates. Some are mentally ret*d,
have severe autism, etc. He just doesn't connect with any of them.
He really needs a true friend that he can personally connect with.
Any ideas? I've gone of few websites, but they are all so complicated and I don't have the time to be searching through pages and pages to find what I need. Please help!

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 2:27 am

Ask him to add me at [email protected] on MSN (as The Ironic One) --- I'd also long to have a friend like him! Btw I'm also 18... I also have few friends... sob sob sob

But I'm living across the Pacific Ocean so I'm afraid I can't help much.