Diagnosing "Simpsons" characters with mental disor

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 9:27 pm

Bataar wrote:
Maggie can't talk yet she's proven to be very intelligent in other areas so would this make her simply Autistic?
Naw, plenty of people are smart as babies and are late speakers. Doesn't make them autistic. Prime examples are my housemate (who's not a baby, but an adult) and pretty much the kid I baby sit.
She'd be autistic if she spent a lot more time in her own world doing...whatever.

On the other hand, the famous Ari Ne'eman is Asperger's and is very political.

How is ODD a legit dx? (not to thread jack, just my opinion)

LOL Snake's dx I agree with :lol

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 11:25 am

Auto (Otto?) the bus driver = Substance abuse/addiction.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

08 Feb 2011, 10:14 pm

Bart clearly has ADHD. I remember there being an episode in which Bart receives experimental medication for ADHD; he ends up hijacking a tank and almost shoots one of the tank's missiles at Springfield Elementary (before the tank finally runs out of gas). At the end of the episode Bart says something along the lines of "Good 'ol Ritalin" as he pops a pill.

Kiran
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2011, 1:21 pm

Professor Frink and Milhouse could be aspies. Groundskeeper Willy obviously has some kind of anger management issue.

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 5:22 pm

Long_Beard wrote:
I've always thought Lisa and Comic Book Guy quite clearly have Aspergers-type personalities. (Off-topic for a moment; I suppose many of us would be aware of the fact that Comic Book Guy's real name is Jim Kirk. The character, that is, not the actor who does his voice.)

wrong. For fourteen years he was known only as the Comic Book Guy. In "Homer And Ned's Hail Mary Pass," aired right after the 2005 Super Bowl, we discover that his real name is Jeff Albertson. According to Al Jean in a quote at TVGuide.com, "We just thought it would be funny to throw it away and give him a normal name after all these years," he says. "There's nobody he's named after. It just sounded like a good name for the guy. We purposely made it as nondescript as possible."

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 6:41 pm

In my opinion Krusty has substance abuse problems. You get the clear sense of that in the Christmas episode where the familt unwittingly bilked the town out of tens of thousands of dollars when the townspeople are cleaning out the house and as he runs into Otto on the stairs he says "if you're heading for the medicine cabinet I was already there." and his arms are overflowing with RX bottles as one of the substances he clearly abuses is RX pills. as for Otto himself I don't think he is necessarily an addict; I think he just a stoner.

Labeling Homer as any degree of ret*d, I think, is incorrect. Cuz as you'll recall he intellectual deficits are caused by a crayon in his brain and if you watch earlier episodes(lika near the absolute beginning of the series) you'll find he actually says some fairly intelligent things.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 11:48 pm

Principal Skinner has a serious oedipal complex.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

abaisse
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 11:55 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Principal Skinner has a serious oedipal complex.

Hahah! True.

billmeister
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Mar 2011, 12:15 am

In the Midnight Rx episode, Krusty the Klown mentions that he needs lithium dibromide (LiBr) to treat his bipolar disorder.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 7:00 pm

Homer: AS? His fixation on donuts and him being overweight makes him a prime candidate for being an Aspie.
Of all the times he has choked Bart, could he be bipolar too?

Marge: Definitely obsessive-compulsive.

Bart: ADD/ADHD indeed.

Lisa: AS? *shrug*

Maggie: No mental disorder here. Just plain ol' smart.

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 8:30 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Homer: AS? His fixation on donuts and him being overweight makes him a prime candidate for being an Aspie.
Of all the times he has choked Bart, could he be bipolar too?

i really don't think AS. he just really likes donuts. possibly bipolar

Thatcher
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 May 2012, 6:23 pm

I agree that Bart Simpson has ADHD, I also reckon Moe has some kind of depression.

I've posted somewhere about diagnosing mental disorders to Futurama characters.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2012, 7:09 pm

Now that this thread has been revived, it looks very useful. Smithers might have, although it doesn't seem to be an official diagnosis, either a self-defeating personality or Stockholm Syndrome, as well as some obsessive/compulsive traits. He has worked for Mr. Burns for most of his life, it seems, after his father died working for Burns. He's given absurd jobs and constantly berated, yet he's in love with Mr. Burns.

Katatonia

23 May 2012, 5:12 am

Eleanor Abernathy - hoarding disorder

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 2:10 pm

They actually had an episode about Bart having ADHD, so we can consider that "official". Homer also seems a bit ADHD-ish, and maybe a bit of bipolar as others have suggested. Lisa doesn't seem that aspie-ish to me - more like your average smart kid. I can see where the comments about Comic Book Guy having Asperger's are coming from, even though I don't relate to him much at all. Milhouse, on the other hand, I can totally connect with.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 6:00 pm

Boy, it seems like every cartoon character has some kind of mental disorder, and it's actually what makes them interesting and entertaining to watch. But sometimes I think people go too far, like with the Winnie-the-Pooh characters. Some people think Christopher Robin is schizophrenic! But I don't think he is, because it would be like that poor little girl I saw on 20/20 who had all these "imaginary" animal friends that acted more like enemies and controlled her and not the other way around. Pooh bear would probably be mauling Christopher instead of happily strolling hand-in-hand. Some people also think the Count from Sesame Street has OCD, but he can't really because he LOVES counting and people with OCD nearly always HATE their obsessions and rituals. I can relate to Lisa but mainly because I had trouble relating to other kids my age like she does, but I was never accused of being a "brainiac", especially in high school. Moe the Bartender must suffer from severe suicidal depression because he's tried to kill himself a number of times, and Krusty and Mrs. Krabbapel may also have depression, and Principal Skinner may have PTSD (he sometimes talks about his experiences in the Vietnam War and mentions he wakes up screaming every night.)