Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ClosetAspy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2009, 3:40 pm

Hi, everybody, I promised an update on Calista Springer, the disabled Michigan teen who died in a house fire because she was chained to her bed. Here it is:

After a year-long investigation, it looks like her parents are going to be charged with felony murder, torture and child abuse. The Kalamazoo Gazette has uncovered a long list of complaints against her parents going back to second grade. One concerned resident even wrote US Representative Fred Upton's office back in 2004 asking, "Does she need to die before anything happens?" Upton's office looked into the matter but was assured by Department of Human Services that it was their belief that Callista was being adequately cared for . . . "however if we receive any new allegations of abuse and neglect we will conduct an investigation."

The Springers are free on bond and scheduled to be in St. Joseph County District Court Wednesday for a hearing on evidence against them.

In addition, there seems to be some controversy over whether she was even as disabled as her parents claimed. Her teachers said that she was a pretty normal girl who could read and write, while her parents (and some social workers) tried to portray her as a troubled teen who lied, injured herself and had an eating disorder (pica). Regardless, no one deserves to be treated this way.

Will let everyone know further how this case comes out

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 11:05 am

Kalamazoo, Michigan ... why am I not surprised?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ClosetAspy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2009, 6:27 pm

Fnord writes: Kalamazoo, Michigan ... why am I not surprised?

Does Kalamazoo have some kind of reputation that I am not aware of? Just curious.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 7:41 pm

It's part of a region that has a lot people who still believe that their children are their property, to be used and abused at will.

That's part of why I no longer live there.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sslaxx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Mar 2009, 3:35 am

ClosetAspy wrote:
Hi, everybody, I promised an update on Calista Springer, the disabled Michigan teen who died in a house fire because she was chained to her bed. Here it is:

After a year-long investigation, it looks like her parents are going to be charged with felony murder, torture and child abuse. The Kalamazoo Gazette has uncovered a long list of complaints against her parents going back to second grade. One concerned resident even wrote US Representative Fred Upton's office back in 2004 asking, "Does she need to die before anything happens?" Upton's office looked into the matter but was assured by Department of Human Services that it was their belief that Callista was being adequately cared for . . . "however if we receive any new allegations of abuse and neglect we will conduct an investigation."

The Springers are free on bond and scheduled to be in St. Joseph County District Court Wednesday for a hearing on evidence against them.

In addition, there seems to be some controversy over whether she was even as disabled as her parents claimed. Her teachers said that she was a pretty normal girl who could read and write, while her parents (and some social workers) tried to portray her as a troubled teen who lied, injured herself and had an eating disorder (pica). Regardless, no one deserves to be treated this way.

Will let everyone know further how this case comes out

Yes she did...

I'd hope there's going to be an investigation about the relevant departments too. Sounds like heads need to roll, never mind attitudes needing changing.

Reverend_Reko
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Mar 2009, 5:21 pm

Look I know Upton personnaly, he's a good guy who has always made time to meet with disabled people even in the middle of a campaign event. I also know that he can't do anything without the support of other politicians. Which in this state (MI) are mostly self serving liberal hypocrites, many of which I've met and know thier general lack of real empathy for other people when it doesn't help thier careers. The sickos in K Zoo (which are actually small in number, but big in power) are just a result of this fact. In general in MI someone does have to die or sue to get anything done here.

Thundaeagle
Raven
Raven

01 Apr 2009, 2:13 am

What?!? I cannot believe my eyes!! ! I hope the parents get locked up for that. People with disabilities are people too and should not be made to die in a house fire because people only care about themselves.