Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 12:42 am

What are some good websites with verifiable information about autism speaks misrepresenting autism/showing only very low functioning kids, demonizing the kids, promoting "genetic screening", big salaries, etc?

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 1:20 pm

If you want verifiable information probably the best place to look is the Autism Speaks website. In their own words . . . (and videos)

I think they have a database of research they've funded (that copyright has expired on). If you had time and energy you could probably analyze the proportion of studies dedicated to different areas of research: genetic versus outcome etc.

NathanYoung
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Mar 2009, 12:30 am

Autism Speaks seems to like my candle project. A person from there emailed me and said so. The Easter Seals Autism person also does as well.

What is wrong with Autism Speaks? I just have not got much into the autism politics of these organizations that much.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 11:39 am

It's not just Autism Speaks. In general, disabled rights groups tend not to like groups like Autism Speaks because they promote pity rather than empowerment and accessibility, and research money tends to go more into "cure" and eugenics than in actually helping people with the disability cope right now.

Most people with stable disabilities would just like to get on with their lives, and groups like Autism Speaks actually make it harder, rather than easier.

Anyone who can get anything good out of Autism Speaks is great. They should be supporting our efforts. And not just in a token way either.

NathanYoung
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Mar 2009, 11:41 am

Okiedoke