I'm making a video - need some feedback, please

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ElliottJumpshoe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2009, 8:44 am

The video I'm making is lousy, filmed with my computer's webcam (I've written about this in my blog). Here's the gist.

The video is of me solving Rubik's Cube, backed up with some music. Near the beginning, some subtitles start to come up. I would like people's feedback on the text I've written,as it concerns aspies and autistic people (auties?). I'm worried that the text might be too preachy or paint an unfair picture of people. This is the text.

There's nothing special about my ability to do this.
I cheated.
I learned the solution on the internet.
Just because I'm autistic, doesn't mean I'm Rain Man.
Acutally, I have Asperger's syndrome.
I would define it with this sentence:
I don't belong on this planet.
And parenthetically, never will.
Question:
"Do you feel different to other people?"
Answer:
"I don't know; I've never been anyone else."
Do you know what the most frustrating part is?
People don't get that I can't do what they can do.
I can walk and talk, therefore I should be able to do anything.
That's certainly how it feels, anyway.
This doesn't mean that other people are stupid;
just that they don't yet understand.
But with time, who knows...
Whoops, looks like we're almost done here...
Yup, here it comes...
Thank you for your time.

What do you think? Does it promote a blame-other-people mentality? Or does it trivialise the feelings of aspies? I really just wanted to get across how I feel about my situation and my feelings at present. The text can be altered. One of the lines that I can't quite reconcile with is "Just because I'm autistic, doesn't mean I'm Rain Man." Is that patronising or insulting? I might alter it in the interim. I'm also concerned about the three lines beginning "This doesn't mean.."

The whole thing was pretty much improvised and I'm not sure what message I am trying to convey. Well, it's about myself, but I don't want it to be defeatist or a castigation of the people who misunderstand aspies.

I'm open to suggestions (bear in mind that I have to excercise brevity, as the video is only two minutes long).

If I take any suggestions on board, or even adaptations thereof, I will credit the person or persons accordingly. Would it be okay to mention this site anyway? I might be posting the video on Youtube, if possible.

Thanks

ElliottJumpshoe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2009, 5:56 am

Never mind.

I changed it. It still starts talking about my AS, but the end is all different.