Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Which of these best describes you?
I am very over cautious when it comes to parting ways with my money. 47%  47%  [ 28 ]
I am no different from what you would reasonably expect. 18%  18%  [ 11 ]
I just part ways with my wealth with no concern. 35%  35%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 60

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 4:23 pm

I have hard to put importance of money. I think I should care a bit more about money though. My council owe me some thousands they told in december and I didnt notice it by then and they was so surprised I didnt react on it. Now I still havent got that money and I always forget to ask them about it...

And I have lost even more thousands on things I could save massive amounts of money if I just put some effort in it. Things like claiming insurance for a screwed up trip once where I had to buy a new flightticket for example. I have AS and I cant just deal with such kind of stuff. There is many such examples. I guess I then prefer to loose money....

But that money that manage to pass on to me Im very careful about. I only buy what exactly I need and still do it spare. Very rarely I add "something extra"
If Im very eager to get something expensive Im very good on saving money for it.

We have no debts at all and Im so happy about this fact. If we dont have afford something then we wont buy, simple.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 5:05 pm

Basically I spend money sparingly and usually on essentials; but once in a while I'll splurge on a bit of extravagant consumption, budget permitting.

bakattsura
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Mar 2009, 5:29 pm

I'm still slaving away at minimum wage, so I have to get creative with ways to turn what money I have into everything I need. I buy unprocessed fresh foods and shop at thrift stores, auctions, and the Internet to get things used instead of new.

I just picked up a four-person set of silverware for $1 and a whole new spring wardrobe for $20 the other day, not bad if I may say so myself. Image

dalcassian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2009, 5:45 pm

things I spend money on:

--Running a clinic
--Putting children through school, ballet, and other activities
--Food and utilities like water electric phone and all that
--Investing in durable, tangible assets with intrinsic value, that I can expect to increase in value over time
--Other stuff.

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 6:22 pm

dalcassian wrote:
things I spend money on:

--Running a clinic
--Putting children through school, ballet, and other activities
--Food and utilities like water electric phone and all that
--Investing in durable, tangible assets with intrinsic value, that I can expect to increase in value over time
--Other stuff.

Cripes on Earth, real life sounds expensive. I have enough problems with only rent, I would be extremely confused trying to keep track of such outflow of money.

I'm very 'tight' with money, because, to tell the truth, I understand it only so far as to know that it is important. Thus, I try my hardest not to part with it. Also, I cannot keep track of income and outcome (this is the wrong word) - although I have tried - and so try to err on the side of frugality in order to avoide becoming penniless.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 6:55 pm

Willard wrote:
I can be miserly when it comes to household expenses, especially if there's something else that I want badly. ... I see people on television bragging about how they can eat on a dollar a day and think: 'If I didn't do that, I wouldn't have any money for new toys.'

This pretty much sums me up

millie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 11:36 pm

Quote:
garyww wrote:
Many of us look on money as just being 'fuel'. Think of it as stoking a steam boiler. It meas nothing in itself as it is just a means to some other more important objective.

that's all it is for me...fuel...a transferable energy for exchanges in order to keep my special interests going. don't really care about much else although i do contribute to a household as i am a mother. don't buy much for myself except art supplies and running that as a business - art transport for paintings, stuff to art dealers, blah blah etc.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 7:55 am

i earn very badly now 400€month and all going to bills etc i cant even get left over before april :cry: need to get my 1000€ bill payed then i can work full time again

11krage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2009, 9:03 am

I save very carefully and feel guilty whenever I make a purchage. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to eat because I'd save so much more that way. Then again I think thats because one day I want to own a house with a big garden and lots of pets. Its going to cost a lot more than I have now, so I keep saving.

http://the-quiet-ones.blogspot.com/

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 1:31 pm

I adjust my likelyhood to spend money, based on what I know I'll need it for in the future. Right now, I'm expecting an instrument upgrade coming, probably by early summer, in addition to repeating some things that put me into a small dept the last time around. I've been thrifty since the beginning of the year, and will probably continue to be for the next 6 months. I've racked up credit card depts in the past, but now I pay it off every month.

__biro
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Mar 2009, 1:49 pm

I am very ADHD with my money. I impulsively buy anything and everything when I get money. I am too careless with it.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 2:43 pm

whitetiger wrote:
I make out a careful, thorough budget every month and intend to stick with it, but then I seem to just buy things with no concern. I'm continually working on this. Following my budget is tough!
This sounds a bit like me, although lately I've done away with actual budgeting (and scheduling, for that matter), and I just eat off the money I 'earn', while a significant chunk goes into 'pleasure shopping' every month. Heck, earlier today, I decided to spend no less than 250 euros of the money I just earned on comic books, books, CD's and DVD's. That should pretty much cover it for this month, though.
garyww wrote:
Many of us look on money as just being 'fuel'. Think of it as stoking a steam boiler. It meas nothing in itself as it is just a means to some other more important objective.
This is how I see money. I think it's silly when people seem to place value on money itself, as though it's some kind of status meter or something.

EnglishLulu
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 6:52 pm

Q: How do I spend my money?
A: Recklessly.

I have the executive dysfunction trait, so I'm pretty useless at budgeting and paying bills on time and keeping track of money. :oops:

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 8:27 pm

I don't have any money to spend or save.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 9:28 pm

I'm very careful with my money. I deposit the majority of my pay checks each week and save them all in the bank. I only spend my money on things I have to pay for like college expenses and car insurance bills. Other than that, I hoard most of my money. I only once in a while treat myself to something from my debit card.

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 9:51 pm

I'm unemployed right now, but unemployment is enough that I don't have to budget at all.

I just have to decide my luxuries, and stick with them. I'm a horrid game/anime addict, but right now, those aren't luxuries that I'll indulge in.

Right now, the only luxuries that I'm allowing myself is nice food, and soon to be a nice apartment. (putting the whole 'roommates waking me up in the middle of the night' thing behind me)

Once I get a job again, I won't have to worry about it at all. Just don't waste to much, and put excess in the stock trading account. (yes, I know it's risky, but it went well for me last year. Even with a colossal blunder, my (admittedly meager) account went up 70%).

Oh, and no more debt. I went through hell last year paying off a motorcycle and on medical expenses. That's over, and I want it to stay that way. I do have a credit card, but the limit is much less than I make in a month (even while on unemployment). I always pay it off (it's more of a buffer to reduce direct access to the bank account) every month, and I won't be raising the limit.