Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 12:56 pm

I only remeber stuff when it is triggered. I can research stuff and learn heaps about it and forget I know it. Until some thing related or it is brought up. It is why I find it hard to think of topics for converstations. Its like theres no catalogue of the stuff I know. I can go into exams and pass with out studying just remebering every thing when I go into them and forgetting every thing when I leave.

My short term memorie is also fairly bad.

Just wondering about what your memorie maybe like.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 12:59 pm

Same here. A lot of things I remember without being triggered, but older memories usually need triggers.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 2:57 pm

Yes, I find something similar in that I learn mountains of information, but without the trigger I have difficulty recalling it. But if I have the proper trigger, that information is easily at my fingertips.

This isn't even relegated to traditional learned information but even to occurances in my every day life. It's frustrating. So much and yet so few modes of access. Sometimes I feel as though my neurons aren't always so well connected. Like information is in individual pieces, smaller circuits, which don't connect too well between. :?

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 3:38 pm

Me too - I can remember all sorts of facts when someone brings up a story or a topic - but not on my own . . .
This was great for me when I took my master's comps - but the reason my education has failed so completely is that I can't see how all the things I learned relate to each other . . .

I'm having a similar problem with the 'interesting topics' thread - people tell me I've done all sorts of interesting things, but I can't come up with one right now . . .

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 3:47 pm

Exactly the same. And my dad doesn't believe me that you can have bad short term memory and be able to remember... just about anything i pay attention to. I have trouble remembering names and numbers. That is it. A large part of my memory seems to be in the rhythm of things. I will easily be able to remember if someone gets a story or a quote wrong because it is off rhythm. Numbers seem to have all similiar rhythm though. I will be unable to decide if a number sounds more or less right in my head based on my memory. And in coversation people almost never use their own names. It isn't like people begin or end their message by adressing the person they're talking to by name. You only ever hear it when people are greeting each other at the start of a relationship or if you are trying to get the persons attention.

My short term memory is limited to 3 items. If people ask me what classes i'm taking in college, if i'm taking 4, i will tell them 3 classes then stand there like a dumb ass unable to recall the 4th. Then if i remember that one, i'll forget one of the previous 3.

My short term memory is so bad, i will be walking out the door, put a disk i need for class on the table for a minute, turn around for some reason and then forget to take it when i turn back around to leave.

But if i am reminded of something, i can... just like take off ranting about it.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2006, 7:28 am

Im surprised more people havn't posted that they have this sort of memorie where every thing needs to be triggered or you can't remeber it. And the short term memorie problems.

I thought this type of memorie would be common with aspies.

toddjh
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jan 2006, 7:44 am

Larry Niven wrote an interesting short story (I forget the name), about aliens who visited Earth, and one of the technological toys they had was the ability to implant knowledge in the brain. The thing was, it was different from the way you normally think about it: usually, in stories like that, the implant gives intellectual knowledge of the subject, but not intuitive knowledge. In this story, it was the exact opposite: if you got the memory for how to fly a spacecraft, you could climb into the cockpit and take off like you'd been doing it for years, without giving it a second thought. But if somebody asked you to explain how to fly it step-by-step, you'd probably be at a loss for words, or would have to mentally walk through the process to figure out what exactly you were doing, and why.

I thought that was a neat idea. If I recall, one character in the story couldn't even remember which skill he had been given, because he was drunk when he got it, and you can't just sit down and write a list of the things you can do today that you couldn't do yesterday. :) He had to wait until his new skill manifested itself before he could figure it out.

Jeremy

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2006, 2:58 pm

i can remember the most inane of all details about an event that happened 30 years ago.

But i forget to put on my pants to go to work.

CEC
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jan 2006, 3:06 pm

That story by Niven was "The Fourth Profession" Published in N-Space

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2006, 3:14 pm

Astute,
A fitting example, nontheless.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2006, 3:19 pm

from the responses i would say that a lot of us do have that issue
i have it for some things. others i remember readily.
i keep a book called encyclopedia jack that has all the memory stimulants i need for things i forget.

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2006, 4:34 pm

My short term memory is terrible.

Funaho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jan 2006, 7:33 pm

I have terrible memory for things that are given to me verbally. It's very difficult for me to do something after someone just explained to me how to do it, but if I have them write it down so I can read it I don't have near as much trouble. When I was in school I preferred to just read the book as listening to the teacher lecture didn't do much for me. Kinda sucked in college though since professors tend to supplement the book with their own information.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2006, 8:08 pm

If i dont pay attention to something the first time, i probably wont remember it, i might get a feeling about it, but not explicit information, and if i mishear something i will remember it exactly as how i hear it. Like at the end of Hook - the one with robin williams, i always thought hook had said, "I-.. my Bombay!" Wasn't til i bought the CD and turned on subtitles til i found out what he said.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2006, 8:16 pm

I can't take directions at all if they are verbal. Like "its simple just drive up the road a bit take the first left you come to then drive down there take the first right and the place is just before the next roundabout you come to"
Stuff like that I can never even remeber or figure out what they mean as they are saying. I prefer maps.

My short term memorie sucks. I worked at KFC for 2 years and never could get orders right.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2006, 12:54 am

My memories that I have long term and short term memories that I have are intact. I remember so much of anything in the end.