tell me this is not how americans really think

Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 2:50 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPmXKEsm-HE

someone please tell me that this tripe is not representative of how most americans view my country (canada). i know it's fox, but still....it wouldn't be on if it didn't have an audience, and that frightens me. please tell me this is just a small minority of morons.

hester386
Toucan
Toucan

28 Mar 2009, 2:58 pm

No serious self-respecting Americans feel this way. Fox News is garbage for the most part.

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2009, 3:11 pm

American's are too large a group to apply a meaningful generalization on thought patterns*.

* The American government on the other hand: knock yourself out.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 3:23 pm

Umm.... yeah, no serious person thinks this way. I mean, there are probably a few red-tarded persons, who think this way, but the entire thing seems like a long and annoying joke to me and most Americans would probably see this as a reason to avoid Fox News

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 3:28 pm

well i'm glad to hear that

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 3:31 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Umm.... yeah, no serious person thinks this way. I mean, there are probably a few red-tarded persons, who think this way, but the entire thing seems like a long and annoying joke to me and most Americans would probably see this as a reason to avoid Fox News

Is Fox News in financial trouble? The last I heard it was quite popular. This from Wikipedia:

The channel was created by Australian-American media mogul Rupert Murdoch, who hired Republican political strategist and former NBC executive Roger Ailes as its founding CEO. The channel was launched on October 7, 1996[1] to 17 million cable subscribers. The network slowly rose to prominence in the late 1990s. In the United States, Fox News Channel has been rated as the cable news network with the largest number of regular viewers.[2]

hester386
Toucan
Toucan

28 Mar 2009, 3:40 pm

Sand wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:

Is Fox News in financial trouble? The last I heard it was quite popular. This from Wikipedia:

The channel was created by Australian-American media mogul Rupert Murdoch, who hired Republican political strategist and former NBC executive Roger Ailes as its founding CEO. The channel was launched on October 7, 1996[1] to 17 million cable subscribers. The network slowly rose to prominence in the late 1990s. In the United States, Fox News Channel has been rated as the cable news network with the largest number of regular viewers.[2]

Just because people watch it doesn't mean everything they say is correct.

daniel_von_disco
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Mar 2009, 3:44 pm

hester386 wrote:
Just because people watch it doesn't mean everything they say is correct.

Well, I don't think anyone was implying such a thing. In fact, most of the things they say are incorrect. Essentially, Fox News is the news equivalent of the jerk at the movie theater, and anyone who takes them seriously should not be taken seriously.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 3:53 pm

Sand wrote:

Well, financial success can be attained through finding a good niche rather than being liked by all, after all, there are multiple news sources in existence. I was mostly just saying that many people think of Fox as ideologically biased to an extreme extent. As noted by hester386's comment: "Fox News is garbage for the most part." and the common mockery of Fox News as "Faux News". Perhaps I am overstating things though, but this is could be a program on Fox that most people do not watch as often, as it is possible that the mainline news is liked, but things such as Bill O'Reilly are avoided by the average population.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 3:55 pm

starvingartist wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPmXKEsm-HE

someone please tell me that this tripe is not representative of how most americans view my country (canada). i know it's fox, but still....it wouldn't be on if it didn't have an audience, and that frightens me. please tell me this is just a small minority of morons.

It was all tongue in cheek. We need Canada. Without Canada we would not have any decent talent on U.S. T.V.

ruveyn

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 4:17 pm

Sand wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:

They are - at least since one year. News Corperation Inc, Murdoch's holding, is juggling with their balances since a year. Otherwise the raise of so-called "good will assets" from US$13'819 Mio. to US$18'620 Mio. in 2008 is hardly to explain. Without this raise the assets of the company would dropped (I looked up the number a while ago for a friend).

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 4:25 pm

In Respect of Canada, I think this Lady has here a say too:

vibratetogether
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Mar 2009, 4:28 pm

I think Canada is awesome. My family used to visit Victoria every year, love that place. Also love Vancouver.

A good chunk of my heritage comes from the Acadians, the French-Canadians that intermarried with Mi'kmaq indians (I believe you refer to them as First Nation).

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 4:32 pm

Vive le Québec libre!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_TfBbR6L0M[/youtube]

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 4:42 pm

The problem here is assuming that the average American has any views on Canada at all, it's basically a non-entity as far as most of us are concerned, and I don't see that changing unless we run out of wood. I've always advocated selling it to the Chinese, who are in fact running out of wood and would probably be willing to give us top dollar for it, as well as not being the types to get too bent out of shape about displacing a few illiterate sport fishermen and rude psuedo-Frenchmen.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 5:42 pm

vibratetogether wrote:
I think Canada is awesome. My family used to visit Victoria every year, love that place. Also love Vancouver.

A good chunk of my heritage comes from the Acadians, the French-Canadians that intermarried with Mi'kmaq indians (I believe you refer to them as First Nation).

actually the people who were the result of the intermix of early french-canadian and first nations peoples have their own title-- métis. they, along with the first nations and the inuit, constitute the three types of aboriginal peoples officially recognised by the gov't here.