I would love a cure, but there is NONE.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 9:47 pm

It is just the way we are. A type of personality. My point is NOT that the way we are is acceptable, but they are wasting money looking for a cure.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 9:50 pm

My dad told me once that an annoying particularity of humans is always trying to find a solution to everything (and he's an engineer, go figure).

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 9:50 pm

KevinLA wrote:
It is just the way we are. A type of personality. My point is NOT that the way we are is acceptable, but they are wasting money looking for a cure.

no one is looking
it stops at money

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 11:00 am

KevinLA wrote:
It is just the way we are. A type of personality.

Yes.

Whoever I am is definitely a type of personality.

Some people have lost sight of the idea that some things just are.
I've asked about relatives and been told not to worry because that's just "how they are", so perhaps that's right.

The thing is, everyone wants improvement these days, and if people don't "improve" or have an action plan for "improvement", questions get asked.

I think that it's unfair to pressurise people into trying to fundamentally change who they are. Such a change might be impossible or impractical to achieve anyway.

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 12:15 pm

AmberEyes wrote:

I think that it's unfair to pressurise people into trying to fundamentally change who they are. .

When the personality is dysfunctional, every effort should be made to change.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 12:24 pm

KevinLA wrote:
AmberEyes wrote:

I think that it's unfair to pressurise people into trying to fundamentally change who they are. .

Just because something functions differently does not mean it is broken or wrong; who do you think is qualified to determine who is dysfunctional and who is not?

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 12:24 pm

KevinLA wrote:
AmberEyes wrote:

Fair point.

But what if the person really can't change?

Who defines what's dysfunctional?

invisiblem0nsters
Toucan
Toucan

31 Mar 2009, 12:46 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
KevinLA wrote:
AmberEyes wrote:

Just because something functions differently does not mean it is broken or wrong; who do you think is qualified to determine who is dysfunctional and who is not?

M.

My thoughts exactly.

deeedoo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2009, 5:36 pm

You...want...a...cure?

I don't understand wanting to be normal. Our biological difference is awesome and gives us special insight into the social world. Sometimes it is painful, but more often it is fun to be able to preform social experiments on annoying little flute players who don't want you to look at their music. It's fun to see the strange way social things work. Besides, we are usually more logical than others. I like my Aspergers, and I would rather die than be "cured".

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 7:34 pm

deeedoo wrote:
You...want...a...cure?

I don't understand wanting to be normal. Our biological difference is awesome and gives us special insight into the social world. Sometimes it is painful, but more often it is fun to be able to preform social experiments on annoying little flute players who don't want you to look at their music. It's fun to see the strange way social things work. Besides, we are usually more logical than others. I like my Aspergers, and I would rather die than be "cured".

You have something against flute players (or is just the annoying little ones)?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 8:28 pm

deeedoo wrote:
You...want...a...cure?

thankfully you don't speak for us all

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 8:29 pm

KevinLA wrote:

I'm glad that mindset doesn't apply to the medical field in general. There's all kinds of diseases / medical conditions that have been cured that were once thought uncurable (is that a word?)

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2009, 8:37 am

Kilroy wrote:
deeedoo wrote:
You...want...a...cure?

thankfully you don't speak for us all

Likewise dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b78pG5zoS-Q
Note the last statement: "We can really get together and find the cause and the cure."
The only real anwser to that is: Bite me.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2009, 3:04 pm

deeedoo wrote:
You...want...a...cure?

Hell, I'd give up years off my life to have a cure. Asperger's has no benefit from me and only holds me back. It keeps my bored out of my mind and keeps me from being able to live a fulfilling life.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

01 Apr 2009, 6:11 pm

KevinLA wrote:
AmberEyes wrote:

I agree, but I think that whether or not a person considers Aspergers to be dysfunctional depends on their experiences.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2009, 4:11 am

Brittany2907 wrote:
I agree, but I think that whether or not a person considers Aspergers to be dysfunctional depends on their experiences.

The social and physical environments that a person has to deal with.