Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2006, 1:19 pm

eamonn

I knew what You where talking about. Even Rugby is Football to Me.

Kiss_my_AS
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jan 2006, 6:31 pm

A great football fan, also a follower of the Premier League. I don't have a favorite team in England, but have a weakness for teams as Tottenham, West Ham and Birmingham City.

I used to have the same feeling about Bolton Wanderers after their last promotion, but this disappeared as they never managed to reached their potential (for a team with such players they play awful football, Allardyce could've done more with it.). Most teams seem to be fairly equal when one takes the strengths and weaknesses of each team into account. Good for the competition, but also an outcome of inconsistent or just wrong policies; those clubs make it difficult for themselves to actually grow. Take Newcastle for instance, Souness hasn't really done a good job there hasn't he? Or the ever-sleeping giant Aston Villa, who've been struggling for years on end. The coming of Jol was a great relieve to the Spurs, who were in the same boat as Aston Villa. Mandaric's plaything, The Citizens of Manchester and the boys of Craven Cottage had to throw their great post-promotional ambitions in the trashcan while the former Rokerites didn't even have time to make ambitions, as their last Premiership run was unfortunately continued.
Everton was finally demasked this year, despite Moyes nice run. Middlesbrough has the UEFA-Cup to make it a victorious season, but I doubt that many would find a victory of the European booby prize as well as a midtable Premiership position a great achievement. And then there's WBA who'll have an exciting season, but definitely not the way they'll prefer it. Blackburn and Charlton are the everything nice to the sugar and spice, a nice addition with no real prospects besides maybe European football. Which is going to be a very hard contest as the first 5 slots (especially number one of course) seem already taken for the remainder of the year, and the competition (in which I hope the Hammers are included) is heavy.

Nevertheless, the Premiership is even besides the most famous clubs an interesting competition to follow; the entertainment on and off the field is probably not to be equalled to any other competition in the world. Therefore I'll probably keep watching til the day football dies.

Kiss_my_AS
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jan 2006, 6:47 pm

SB2 wrote:
Apparantly Man U was the shite 23 years ago.

I can't speak in terms of popularity, but I do know that Liverpool was dominating England in 1983. Manchester United did pretty well too (and eventually won the FA Cup after a double final vs Brighton), but was already 16 years away from it's last national Championship.

I don't expect it of you to come with an explanation for the apparent greater popularity of Manchester Utd than Liverpool, which is understandable from someone living in a country where football is a minor sport. But it's definitely remarkable to me, as the majority of not-so-devoted football fans tend to favor the most succesful club of that time or just goes along with the stream.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 3:26 am

For

eamonn

I can even watch English soccer or football where I am at even in South Dakota.

Just so You now.

eamonn

Okay.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 11:42 am

Soccer? Whys american football called football when they dont kick it? And how do people play cricket when theres a million places to stand and stuff?

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 11:50 am

kevv729 wrote:
For

eamonn

Just so You now.

eamonn

Okay.

Do you see Scottish football though. Celtic are my favourite. Apparently we have a large following in the US.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 12:25 pm

ilikedragons wrote:
Soccer? Whys american football called football when they dont kick it? And how do people play cricket when theres a million places to stand and stuff?

Because Americans don't like to conform to whatever everyone else is doing. I agree- it's ironic that American soccer is called football in most other parts of the world and American football is called something else- either rugby or handball, if I remember correctly.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 1:57 pm

We just call what you call football, "American football" and what you call "soccer" football. Along with Ireland and Australia the US call their national sport "football".

American football got it's roots from rugby football but changed it a little. Rugby is a different sport. It used to be called Rugby football but thankfully these days everyone calls it simply "rugby". Handball is just like world football but using your hands to control the ball instead of feet.

Last edited by eamonn on 07 Jan 2006, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

post-ante
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2006, 2:10 pm

I think all this hooliganism is terrifying. That's why I am proceeding to tickle all your feet. Take that, you featherbrains!

Kiss_my_AS
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jan 2006, 4:03 pm

eamonn wrote:
CELTIC, CELTIC is the best!! !!

How long did it take for you to get over that-what-happened-in the-final-minutes-of-last-season? :)

(I have a preference for Celtic in Scotland too, btw.)

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 4:17 pm

Eamonn, thank you for clarifying that for me. :)

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 4:39 pm

Kiss_my_AS wrote:
eamonn wrote:
CELTIC, CELTIC is the best!! !!

How long did it take for you to get over that-what-happened-in the-final-minutes-of-last-season? :)

(I have a preference for Celtic in Scotland too, btw.)

AAghh, the pain still hasnt gone away. Hopefully with time it will dull given time but it's too fresh right now to think of. We are too far ahead of the dreaded "gers" to lose the title this season however, and what's more we are winning by playing football in a beautiful way. No bludgeoning or hit and hope long balls from these guys.

Namiko, no probs.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 6:09 pm

eamonn wrote:
kevv729 wrote:
For

eamonn

Just so You now.

eamonn

Okay.

Do you see Scottish football though. Celtic are my favourite. Apparently we have a large following in the US.
Not sure about Scottish football though it maybe a little bit of both.

post-ante
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2006, 6:36 pm

Subbuteo, blow football or tiddly winks?

The choice is yours.