Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2004, 4:55 pm

I went through forty years of life without experiencing a single hurricane, but lately they've been hitting us at the rate of three every two years. Even worse are the cloudbursts, which this summer (the most humid I've ever experienced) seem to have become weekly events, when previously they were once a decade events!

Still, as long as Bush and the oilmen continue to rake in their profits, every thing will be alright?

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2004, 11:41 am

I wondered what happened to this thread. i haven't seen a reply since Grynfryn wrote about my hurricane rant. somebody needs to perk this old message post up, so here goes...

After a period of draught that was no doubt caused by a lack of the atmosperic energy that was being drawn off by the hurricanes, and by a lingering high pressure cell, we finally got a few storms. we managed to avoid the worst of it, although the people in DeSoto got blasted by a tornado and are pretty screwed up right now. we even got a power outage for the second half of the day, and the bozos at Memphis, Light, Gas, & Water actually managed to time the power-online-jump to the exact end of the day, so we spent half the school playing Shadow Games instead of doing schoolwork. (in case you're wondering, the Shadow Games are a fancy name for the games that we play duing power outages. the games are stupid, but they are better than schoolwork.)
We got nearly flooded, and our lawn is still wet. it was fun though, and the next day started of with a fog the likes of which i have seen only once; at Pemaquid Point in Maine. That fog was so thick it took me ages to find my mom so we could go, even though she was five meters from me at one point. This fog was no different. Anyways, this is Archmage with the Wrongplanet weather history report for Memphis, TN. Now back to you, Alex. :D

we will make it through,
Here we are, like a star,
shining bright on the world,
Today... Make evil go away!

"Code Lyoko" Theme

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2004, 1:31 pm

Archmage again. Just wanted to let you know that i have developed a theory concerning the motive behind the movie The Day After Tomorrow. the post also has a summary of the movie for those who have not seen it, and a poll that will change every 14 days. It is under the TV and Entertainment Forum. Good day.

Archmage

we will make it through,

"Code Lyoko" Theme

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2004, 10:56 am

I think thta the people living in the central U.S. had better go into hibernation, because it is gonna be COLD. I Just checked the forecast for the conntiguous United States (Meaning every state except Alaska and Hawaii), and i swear we are going to shatter a few record lows. I checked the forecast for Thursday night on weather.com (The Weather Channel's official website) In preparation for our current trip to Saint Louis for the holidays, and, while we aren't getting much snow, the only places that will stay above freezing(Which is 32 degrees Farenheit) that night are Florida, Western California, Seattle, and the Eastern Seaboard. Saint Louis' forecasted low for Thursday night is at a whopping 0 degrees. (This is the Farenheit scale, by the way.) International Falls,which is on the Minnesota/Canada border, is getting a low of negative 24 degrees! And my hometown of Memphis, where below freezing temps are rare, is getting a record of 15 degrees Farenheit! WOW! 8O If we don't freeze to death, i'll be suprised. And it's strange, too, that this cold snap is coming on the exact date and relative time of our departure for Saint Louis! Is there an omen that i'm missing here? Anyways, I'm signing off. Sayonara, everyone!

Archmage

we will make it through,

"Code Lyoko" Theme

monastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2004, 4:37 pm

Quote:
If we don't freeze to death, i'll be suprised. And it's strange, too, that this cold snap is coming on the exact date and relative time of our departure for Saint Louis!

I'm Hoping you have a safe trip, Archmage. I live in Indiana (the southern part) and we're supposed to get about 10 inches of snow starting about midnight. I live in the country and it's quite hilly around my home. I just hope I can make it to work tomorrow without falling into a ravine or something. Keep warm Archmage and remember to take a blanket and a mini emergency bag with you.

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2004, 5:31 pm

Will do.

Archmage

we will make it through,

"Code Lyoko" Theme

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2004, 5:54 pm

The weather here has been appalling. Just today it has been sunny twice and bucketed down with rain, It's supposed to be summer, but i'm not complaining, summer usually doesn't kick in until mid Jan.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2004, 6:59 pm

We just got our first snow storm of the year up here in wisconsin. By me we got four inches of the white stuff. Up to north they got almost a foot of snow.

It's suppose to get down to zero degrees tonight.

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2004, 8:13 pm

Scoots5012 wrote:
It's suppose to get down to zero degrees tonight.

That i know. Just wait, it gets colder...

we will make it through,

"Code Lyoko" Theme

macvincent
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Dec 2004, 8:30 pm

Sunday evening (12/19/04) we got our first snow of the season. But the next day they delayed school by 2 hrs., not because of the snow, but because the temps were around 15F, which is extremely cold for Maryland, even in winter. And I have to walk to school every day about 2 blocks, whihc is usually fine, but the cold was practically unbearable. I believe even the highs for that day were below freezing.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2004, 10:14 pm

For here in wisconsin, "cold" means below zero.

The coldest it ever got in my life time was back on Feb 2, 1996. School was cancled and the high temp for the day was 15 below zero.

up north near rice lake, the morning low was 55 below zero, a new state record low. In the minnesota arrowhead, the temp fell to 60 below zero setting a new record there.

And there was an unoffical low temp that morning reported by a citizen of 74 below zero.

But the true bragging rights for cold weather go to our friends here from canada

hilarythebaker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Dec 2004, 11:24 pm

All I know about the weather is that I love a nice, bright sunny day (who doesn't) and springy weather, say in the 60 F and 70 F range.

I don't really like the cold all that much, but I like snow, as it is a rare occurence in Texas.

Once when I was in high school, it started snowing during a psychology class. Our teacher tried very hard not to give up on us when we kept going to the window to watch it. Poor Miss Henderson must've called me back to my desk 5 times! :roll:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2005, 1:57 am

We're supposed to get a little bit of Snow in Southern British Columbia for New Years Day. I was hoping for a White Christmas, but it looks like we're going to have a White New Years instead. This happens almost every year. It drives me nuts. I wish that it would snow on Christmas Eve when everybody is off Work for the Holidays.

Beanie
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jan 2005, 11:31 am

Ah the weather. One of my favorite subjects and the only subject that is often used in small talk that I can actually relate to. This might sound really strange, but I don't like sunny days, they give me headaches. I like a good stormy day because to me it is exciting. I was in an F5 tornado when I was little and ever since then I have been a severe weather fanatic. I do hate it though when severe weather causes deaths. Some day, when I grow up (hee hee) I may become a meteorologist. :D 8O

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2005, 8:27 pm

Somehow i have always liked severe weather as well, because it adds so much excitement to a normally boring day, especially at school! This may spring from the fact that i was almost caught in Hurricane Andrew when i was one. I missed it by three days, because we were on vacation in Maine. Now i live in Memphis, Which never gets any severe weather. :(

we will make it through,

"Code Lyoko" Theme

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2005, 11:25 pm

We got our first Snow Fall in Vancouver last Thursday. The cold Waether is going to stay around for a while. Our local forecast calls for more Snow. I don't mind the snow. In fact, I love it when it snows, because I know that it pisses off the rest of the people in my family.