Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

OddballBen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Apr 2009, 9:20 pm

My dog is more well known around my neighborhood than me. Whenever I walk him, people usually greet him instead of me ( I don't think they know my name)

When I'm walking my dog, people will say "Hi Odie! :)" all smiley like. Am I supposed to answer for my dog or something? Do I not say anything because they're talking to someone else?

What should I do in those situations? :?

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 9:50 pm

Interject yourself into the conversation, give your name, introduce yourself, ask questions.

...that's if you want to chat with these people.

I get noticed through my dogs and people want to chat but you need to be selective, some people are just motormouths and others are tedious, so you have to make very quick choices about who you want to encourage, or not.

Philothea
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Apr 2009, 11:00 pm

A dog is a great way to meet people. I had a pit bull when I was in highschool, and I really started to rely on her as a helpful social tool. I was the girl who took her dog everywhere she went, so she became part of my identity, in a way.

Don't take it personally if people greet your dog and not you. It's a way of being friendly to you indirectly. If they say hi to Odie, you can say hi back to them without sounding weird at all. Dog lovers enjoy asking questions about your dog, and talking about their own dogs. They tend to be nice folks.

Rok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2009, 12:56 am

Don't feel bad. I have a teacup chihuahua, and more people pay attention to her than me whenever I walk her. I guess it's because she's so cute. To me, though, I find those people that stop and want to admire my dog annoying. I'd rather walk my dog without interruption.

visnofskygirl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 2:06 am

OddballBen wrote:
My dog is more well known around my neighborhood than me. Whenever I walk him, people usually greet him instead of me ( I don't think they know my name)

When I'm walking my dog, people will say "Hi Odie! :)" all smiley like. Am I supposed to answer for my dog or something? Do I not say anything because they're talking to someone else?

What should I do in those situations? :?

just smile at them

Shizuka
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jul 2009, 8:23 am

I guess if they say hi to your dog then probably its a good way to start a short conversation with them, the main theme is the dog? then ok tell them "oh, its so good dog" or.. " my dog like to (put here something that your dog like to do)" or " i got my dog from ( put here some information)" so you can introduce yourself in a good way then, and if you are not interested in talk with that people, then just smile like others told you ^^;

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 9:35 am

I always pay more attention to dogs than people.. they're way easier to talk to. :-P

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 11:32 am

Actually, I've heard that's sort of an unwritten rule about walking dogs: talk about the other person's dog, not them. It's weird, but that's what I've heard. I don't own a dog myself (I'm a cat person) so I can't say for sure.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 12:00 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
I always pay more attention to dogs than people.. they're way easier to talk to. :-P

Haha.... that is so true. :D Dogs don't get insulted over something you say to them.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 12:18 pm

my dog is more popular than me too. even though i do not have one and never did.

Toad42
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jul 2009, 1:18 pm

Dont be too upset, I used to teach dog training classes for about 4 years and I can remember practically every dog by name I ever taught, I probably only knew a quarter of the owners names at any time.
I find it easier to approach a dog than a person and like the other answers a lot of owners are quite happy to talk about thier friends.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 10:16 pm

As the saying goes, "The more I learn about people, the more I love my dog."

What you're experiencing is normal.

People take to dogs because dogs are cute and they love unconditionally.

Humans are too tricky to figure out. Dogs are easy to please.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 4:31 am

lol I laughed when I saw this thread title, I could've written that myself!

my dog is sort of locally famous because he's the oldest dog in the neighbourhood. he has some grey hair but in general he's in great condition, looks about 8-10 but in fact he's 16. so when I walk him all I hear is "oh hey, he's still alive!" "yo, looking good old man!" and stuff like that hehe.

also people who know him like to point out his age to their friends and that usually starts the whole interview about his diet etc and how the hell did I make him look so good at his age :/

he is a legend lol

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 4:50 am

^Was your dog a sausage dog. I want to own a sausage dog one day.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-1qQQHDoFU[/youtube]

Hopefully one that can brng me potato chips. :x

To the op, that is highly amusing, if I were you I would try to be more unnoticed for amusement reasons.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 5:04 am

^^yes, it is a sausage dog. one of those just broke the record of dog lifespan with 25 years 8O

I love my dog, but I'm homebound as long as he's alive so I hope he's not planning to break any damn records lol

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 5:18 am

Yeah I thought I can remember you saying you had a sausage dog.

You should post a pic of your baby.

Make sure you be careful wth him though, our famly dog was doing fine 14 years old, then it got some heat stroke and never properly recovered and had to be put down.

looked a bit like this, but more hairy.