Meltdown- I'm the one having one.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

jonahsmom
Raven
Raven

10 Apr 2009, 9:05 am

Warning-this is basically a vent. As difficult as it's been to deal with my children's meltdowns over the years I am about to have one so I am trying to send it into cyber-space and hope that I feel better afterward so that I can return to the real world and be a good mother.

Our baby has had a fever all week and so has been up every couple of hours for nights and nights on end. My 2 year old has serious space issues right now and if anyone comes within 2 feet of her toys she screams at the top of her lungs. Conversely, right now she also squeals when happy or excited, so she is screaming/squealing a great deal of the time. My 5 and 4 year olds have decided to make up their own language which is some type of gibberish that can not be understood (they normally are very verbal and easy to understand). They run around the house hitting each other for fun, then screaming "MOM! Mom, mom MOOOOOOOM!" whenever one decides it got too rough.

Now here's the part that is almost funny: everyone in the house is actually acting quite typically for their ages. It's me who has the problem. The noise is getting to me in a serious way. I want to go climb in my bed and pretend nobody else is in the house. I am walking around ranting to myself out loud. The funniest part is that there are therapists here and I don't even have a care about it. I am pretending they are not here and ranting out loud about their shoes being in my way as I am trying to walk, etc. I know it's rude and I am trying to care, but I don't.

Hmmm...who has the social deficits now? lol! I have closed myself downstairs with the piles and piles of clean laundry that need to be folded and am just waiting for the therapists to pop down with a social story about keeping rude comments inside of your head. :oops:

5yo
3yo
In the Kiln: A look at parenting kids with autism from a Christian perspective. www.nobodyelsethoughtofthis.wordpress.com

jenny8675309
Raven
Raven

10 Apr 2009, 10:14 am

:lol: Sounds like Mommy needs a time out.

jenny8675309
Raven
Raven

10 Apr 2009, 10:15 am

And BTW, I totally get that. I have an ADHD 11 yr old and a PDD-NOS 9 yr old. :)

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 12:22 pm

ARRGH! HULK SMASH!

:shaking2: Company in the house always makes me ka-wazy.

Hope they all leave and you get a long nap soon.

Tracker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 12:32 pm

Perhaps you should invest in a good pair of ear muffs, or ear plugs, or both. The are available at any hardware store like home depot or lowes. Simple solutions are often the best ones.

jonahsmom
Raven
Raven

10 Apr 2009, 1:55 pm

Willard wrote:
ARRGH! HULK SMASH!

:shaking2: Company in the house always makes me ka-wazy.

Hope they all leave and you get a long nap soon.

Yes, and that is a big part of the problem. They are here by my choice, although I don't choose their schedule. We normally have someone here 8am-6pm about 5 nights a week.

I've decided that they have done all they can and July 4th is going to be our personal Independence Day. Hurray!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 4:08 pm

Too much presence of others in the house would drive me nuts.

And living through the toddler years drives every parent nuts.

In other words, everything you are feeling is perfectly normal.

But you do need to find a way to help yourself. Dinner with some other moms, stuff like that might be the ticket. Find a way to schedule some "me" time into your days.

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 9:30 pm

I agree with DW!! !
Sounds like you need a break. What you have to out up with would send anyone up the wall. Try to make some time for you, take care.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 10:48 pm

My first thought was, when was the last time that you were able to get out of the house for an extended period of time and do something you love? And grocery shopping without a child with you doesn't count. :wink:

I have had so many parental meltdowns that I can't even count them all. I totally know where you're coming from. It was at that stage, that I insisted on one night a week where my other half was home to be on kid duty at 6pm. That meant I was free to do as I pleased. Go out with friends, run errands, lock myself in my bedroom for a long uninterrupted bath and then to bed with a book. It didn't matter what, but Thursday nights were my sacred time.

Hugs to you. It's not easy being a Mum. :wink: