Is this paranoia, or anxiety due to aspergers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

stros
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2009, 12:31 pm

I thought I would post this question, and see if other people can relate. I'm running into a problem where I could be next to a stranger or even someone I know, sitting or standing; I have a tendacy that when I notice them, I have a really difficult time refocusing on what I was doing. When this happens, I get anxiety, and the person I'm next to will get uncomfortable. The person isn't doing anything that would cause me to become anxous.

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2009, 2:17 pm

ahhh that happens to me all the time especially when i like them too and i cant concentrate.

heather_erin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Apr 2009, 2:24 pm

This happens to me too! I was diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder, but I don't know if the social anxiety is actually the AS.
It's particularly bad for me when I'm in a store and looking at something, and somebody comes up next to me to look at the same section. It makes me really really anxious, and I get paranoid that I'm somehow in their way, and I really hate it if they move closer. I always end up walking away, then coming back when they leave. They probably think I'm nuts! 8O

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 2:44 pm

I get extremely paranoid in crowds because people are talking about me and my thoughts and are reading my mind. Sometimes it gets so bad that I get panic attacks.

Last2Know
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Apr 2009, 8:47 pm

heather_erin wrote:
It's particularly bad for me when I'm in a store and looking at something, and somebody comes up next to me to look at the same section. It makes me really really anxious, and I get paranoid that I'm somehow in their way, and I really hate it if they move closer. I always end up walking away, then coming back when they leave.

Word for word exactly what happens to me. I can't even stand to have my husband in the kitchen if I'm trying to cook something, or look for something. When we visited NASA he bought me a magnet that says, "I need my Space". I really do!

L2K

Jamin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Apr 2009, 8:58 pm

I so can relate!

Used to have that anxiety "oh let me get out of your way" response.

Funny though - probably as a result of fatigue from years of that, as have gotten older the response has changed to one of annoyance and I stand my space. They tend to bugger off. And then we're both happy. :wink:

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 10:23 pm

Yeah, I was probably initially diagnosed with social anxiety probably when I was like 8 then I found out I had aspergers like 10 yrs later but Im guessing I probably have both which makes makes things harder but not uncommon. I wouldnt be surprised that a lotta people with AS probably have SA too. Theres really no correlation, there clearly different disorders but the outwards apperance in some senses might be similar, possibly.

Eos
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Apr 2009, 1:39 pm

I've only been diagnosed with anxiety. It is even hard for me to walk down a crowded street or in a mall. I just plow through until I get to where I'm going. It doesn't help that my actions cause people to notice me. Gah.

stros
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Apr 2009, 12:26 pm

Is anyone taking anything/meds to reduce the anxiety? Or any other techniques?

whilily
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Apr 2009, 9:13 pm

Have clear , positive mind, avoid any negative thinking in life.

This works effectively for me, though!

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2009, 9:43 pm

I take meds for SAD and Panic Disorder. I take Cymbalta daily and have Xanax for PA's. I find it does take the edge of, but there is no silver bullet for this combo disorder. And if there is I have yet to find it.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 11:33 pm

jI had that bad as a kid. I also thought people were talking about me when they weren't.
These days I just shake it off, although if I'm having sensory problems people drive me mad and I have to get away from them.

Take social anxiety meds and have therapy. Meds only temporarily stop social anxiety. You need to change the way you think. I had therapy and I had to try out cognitive behavioral therapy, which I still use to this day. I'm only a little bit anxious these days.

Filip
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2009, 4:28 am

I am also diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder first, but later it changed into Asperger's (I think I have a combination of the two and the two are related to each other). But I can relate with the problems mentioned. I always think that people are talking about me when they aren't. Sometimes I can get mad at someone because I thought that he or she was talking about me when he or she wasn't. Pretty embarrassing :oops: And I don't like it either when I am in a library or a store and someone is approaching me to see the books or goods in the same rack as me.

Tinki
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2009, 8:58 pm

Yes. Its like I can sense the other person/persons or something. And its hard to stop doing it, to try to think about something else. Then it seams like the other person can feel it too, and they get tense.

Pogue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2009, 9:30 pm

My wife is an extrovert and she gets the same sense when someone gets near her space in a store. I think its pretty normal.

If they get too close in a store, Ill leave the area and circle back for what I need later. Life's too short to be that close to people I dont know.