Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

knowledgeiskey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Apr 2009, 5:38 pm

I stay home if I'm not a school.

I'm 22 years old.

I like reading things on Wikipedia.

I watch cable news programs when I'm home.

I never go out.

My phone only rings when my father or bill collectors call.

My mom tells me that to get a life condescendingly.

I keep up with politics and current events.

I don't work because of my past work history.

People tell me to get a life.

Am I alone?

Do others experience this?

oli234
Toucan
Toucan

10 Apr 2009, 5:59 pm

With the exception that I have like two good friends, one who I see once in a blue moon, and the other I see maybe once or twice a week I'm exactly the same. Oh and I don't go to school because I study from home and I'm 23.

So know you're not at all alone.

I'm trying to find something to do with my life that I can start to feel passionate about. I've been trying to write some stuff but I come up with all these convulted, complex ideas and then realise I don't actually have the patience (and possiblt talent) to sit down and write them. So I've been thinking about trying to get involved with political causes I support and starting to do voluntary work. We'll see how that pans out.

I'm not sure if any of those things would work for you or not. But if you are unhappy with how you're life is you need to find something else that interests you, and maybe something that would allow you to meet similar people. But then of course if you like how things are just ignore you're mum and enjoy doing what you're doing. Either way when people tell you to get a life what they mean is get a life they deem suitable, and it's really not their opinion that counts.

bluebandit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2009, 6:08 pm

Short answer, no. I pretty much sit at home when I'm not at school however, for four years, I didn't even go to school. My family made me feel so bad, I went back although my stress levels are still through the roof, even with my reduced schedule( two classes, two days a week).

I "research" things on the net too, wikipedia is often the starting point for me. My phone only gets family and wrong numbers, but I don't feel too bad about that. It's just my life, when compared with others makes me feel not quite real somehow and everyone expects(more) things from me.

Sorry, I probably didn't help but I do feel I can relate to you.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 9:28 pm

It's your damn life, if you are satisfied and happy then f**k the rest. You have to give it some thought, do you want "a life" cuz people who can't stay out of your business are telling you to or do you yourself think it's time for a change of scenery. I used to hang out with a lot of people but I grew tired of their retarded infantile company and today I have about 5 REALLY good friends, one who I live with and have known for 12 years. He's all the friend I need, and sometimes even he is to much so I tell him I need a time out and I chill alone in my room for a couple of hours with my laptop.

Point is, if your happy where you are then don't let anyone change that, but if you feel it should change then seek out new things to do and people to see.

:cat:

:::)

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Apr 2009, 12:00 am

i sit at home when im not at school too
i only answer the phone if it is my dad, mom, my sister calling from her friends or a few of her friends calling for her and my only friend.
i sit on the computer alot.
and i dont have a job well i dont want one cuz i go to school so i dont need to yet.
so i get it.

hermanChess
Raven
Raven

11 Apr 2009, 2:45 am

I'll put it like this. All this easter I had the house to myself, I did absolutely nothing but stay at the computer and smoke cigarrettes. I could've have invited a girl, but of course I didn't.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2009, 5:16 am

knowledgeiskey wrote:

I'm 22 years old.

I never go out.

Am I alone?

I have a somewhat social life because of the music I'm into. I don't work because, well no one will give me a job. My mum makes me feel like crap because I stay at home all day and do a few house chores and spend the rest of the day on internet/watching tv.
I wish I could keep up with the news.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2009, 7:44 am

hermanChess wrote:
I'll put it like this. All this easter I had the house to myself, I did absolutely nothing but stay at the computer and smoke cigarrettes. I could've have invited a girl, but of course I didn't.

alone, no parents, cigarettes, computer.

dude you had the best easter on earth...

:::)

brothersport
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Apr 2009, 12:55 am

Sounds awfully familiar to my patterns. Nobody really tells me to "get a life" though...

Not even sure what 'going out' is anymore. To go shopping? To a bar? To a restaurant?

I have a job. Not the greatest one in the world, but there are worse. At times I get motivated to search for a better job (I have a college degree), but the worsening economy and living in the worst state in the US eventually discourages me.

Apart from going from work to home and back again, I don't get out much either. I make an effort to 'get out' sometimes, although most of these attempts are done solo, and going out by yourself is usually not much fun. Which brings me back to sitting at home, researching on the internet, watching TV, and listening to music.

I'm not sure anyone is 'satisfied and happy' with living the life of a shut-in. It may be comforting, but everyone wants to live life and experience new things... not rotting alone between four walls.

Just wondering what to do to give my life meaning. Do I need more friends? Better friends? I don't even know where to start, and have no energy to invest into making major changes.

AgentCROCODILE
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2009, 5:08 am

knowledgeiskey wrote:

I'm 22 years old.

I never go out.

Am I alone?

Most of this applies to me too except:

1. I am not 22 years old
2. I am no longer at school.

LordKristov
Toucan
Toucan

14 Apr 2009, 4:12 pm

brothersport wrote:
Sounds awfully familiar to my patterns. Nobody really tells me to "get a life" though...

Not even sure what 'going out' is anymore. To go shopping? To a bar? To a restaurant?

I have a job. Not the greatest one in the world, but there are worse. At times I get motivated to search for a better job (I have a college degree), but the worsening economy and living in the worst state in the US eventually discourages me.

Apart from going from work to home and back again, I don't get out much either. I make an effort to 'get out' sometimes, although most of these attempts are done solo, and going out by yourself is usually not much fun. Which brings me back to sitting at home, researching on the internet, watching TV, and listening to music.

I'm not sure anyone is 'satisfied and happy' with living the life of a shut-in. It may be comforting, but everyone wants to live life and experience new things... not rotting alone between four walls.

Just wondering what to do to give my life meaning. Do I need more friends? Better friends? I don't even know where to start, and have no energy to invest into making major changes.

You sound like me, man. I tried the whole 'going out' (usually to the bar) in an attempt to be social, and you're right - it's not a fun experience. The more people that were in a room, the more alone I realized I was due to the superficiality of it all.

grizeldatee

14 Apr 2009, 5:59 pm

Bars are no good, but a group with an interest you share can be fun.

LordKristov
Toucan
Toucan

14 Apr 2009, 10:33 pm

grizeldatee wrote:
Bars are no good, but a group with an interest you share can be fun.

Agreed - and getting increasingly expensive. And of course you will be expected to pay for the most expensive shots in the place on the off-chance you do end up chatting with somebody ($8-$15 a shot for Patron where I'm at.)

This is one of the reasons I've decided to quit drinking altogether. Which, of course, is also a socially unacceptable behavior. So I figured since I'm hosed either way, might as well take the less costly route.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 10:46 pm

knowledgeiskey wrote:

I basically do though it seems like I'm constantly busy with something.

knowledgeiskey wrote:
I'm 22 years old.

Ah, those were the days.......

knowledgeiskey wrote:

Me too!

knowledgeiskey wrote:

Sometimes but not a lot.

knowledgeiskey wrote:
I never go out.

Me neither. There isn't much to go out here for nor anyone to go out with.

knowledgeiskey wrote:

Quite the opposite for me. I think everybody in the freakin world calls my house!! :evil:

knowledgeiskey wrote:

Mine doesn't, I'm trying to do it myself.

knowledgeiskey wrote:

Somewhat. Not really anything I concern myself with.

knowledgeiskey wrote:

Same here. I had a nervous breakdown running a cash register for so long. I can't work at that kind of job anymore.

knowledgeiskey wrote:

They have in the past but not lately.

See, you're not so alone after all. But I know how you feel. In my case, I'm an aspie surrounded by NT hillbillies so relating to people around here is almost impossible. Quite honestly I don't feel it is worth my time or effort.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2009, 4:41 am

knowledgeiskey wrote:

I'm 22 years old.

I never go out.

Am I alone?

Same here. . . except for the part about watching cable news programs. . . I prefer Youtube since TV programs sucks.

I stay home if I'm not a school (and I hate it).

I'm 22 years old.

I watch Youtube videos and play videogames when I'm home.

I almost never go out.

My phone only rings when my parents call.

My mom tells me I'm immature and should change.

I don't work because I have to go to school morning and afternoon.

People tell me to be more social.

I'm planning to leave my parent´s home, get a job, and begin a new life.