Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

mommyofone
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jan 2006, 10:18 am

My 4 year old wants to take piano lessons. What is a good age to begin this? She is quite fascinated by the piano.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2006, 3:07 pm

i say go for it ! in retrospect, i wish we had my son start lessons when he was young....as it stands now, he started piano lessons in 5th grade and quit in 7th grade. :cry:

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2006, 3:37 pm

David started quite young, about six I beleive. He never got very good at it (played too mechanically) but he enjoyed it for several years which is good enough for me.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2006, 6:42 pm

If she really wants to do it, I wouldn't hold her back. Try to find a good teacher for younger students, though. And as long as she keeps enjoying it, I wouldn't question it. If she really doesn't enjoy it when she gets older (it can happen), don't force her to keep going.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 12:27 pm

As early as possible! If she's eager and you have the means by which to let her learn, go for it! To be able to play the piano is an excellent and extremely useful skill. Of course if she wishes to give up after a while, fair enough, but at least you'll have let her try :)

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 1:10 pm

As an Aspie she may have too high expectation of it and dislike it when she doesn't learn it well enough fast enough. I play bass and I still have problems with the theory stuff I try to learn myself but if it's a favourite song of mine it's very easy, even if I don't neicessarily get much of the theory behind the song and how it's built up theoretically like I should have. I still have a bit of a problem understanding what "Asus" means.

McJeff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2006, 12:03 pm

I started piano when I was 4 years old, and took lessons for 17 years or so.

I did well up until around late elementary school age, 10-11, when I started not wanting to practice. I devoted lots of time to try and think up ways I could get out of practicing, and barely advanced in my playing at all because I probably practiced once a week on the good weeks.

My parents switched me over to the cello, which I also didn't want to practice, but I played it for 3 years. They were very determined that I should be practicing music... in general they thought extracurricular activities should be mandatory and didn't care that I had no interest. They also forced me to take track in elementary school, which I hated.

Around early high school age, I decided I missed piano lessons and asked to start taking them again. This time around I had no problems with practicing, although I couldn't bring myself to do it for an hour a day like they told me I should.

I guess I went through all this because I think it's a good idea for kids to learn to play a music instrument - if for nothing else, being able to read music is one of those things that comes in handy during life, a lot. But if you start having battles about practicing, you should probably let her quit.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2006, 1:00 pm

McJeff wrote:
I started piano when I was 4 years old, and took lessons for 17 years or so.

I did well up until around late elementary school age, 10-11, when I started not wanting to practice. I devoted lots of time to try and think up ways I could get out of practicing, and barely advanced in my playing at all because I probably practiced once a week on the good weeks.

My parents switched me over to the cello, which I also didn't want to practice, but I played it for 3 years. They were very determined that I should be practicing music... in general they thought extracurricular activities should be mandatory and didn't care that I had no interest. They also forced me to take track in elementary school, which I hated.

Around early high school age, I decided I missed piano lessons and asked to start taking them again. This time around I had no problems with practicing, although I couldn't bring myself to do it for an hour a day like they told me I should.

I guess I went through all this because I think it's a good idea for kids to learn to play a music instrument - if for nothing else, being able to read music is one of those things that comes in handy during life, a lot. But if you start having battles about practicing, you should probably let her quit.

I never learned an instrument. I wasn't really interested in it even though my parents tried to push me into it. The reason they wanted me to learn was part of why I was determined to have nothing to do with it. My sister played clarinet so they thought I should to and flat out said this. She had also gone to a girls' school that required them to learn the recorder. They wanted me to do alot of things my sister did, but I didn't want to, I wanted to do my thing, I didn't want to be her.

The only thing they ever tried to force on me was swimming, which I wanted no part of and still want no part of. They used techniques that were short of brainwashing to get me to learn to love swimming, but none of it worked. Even though I learned how to swim, I never learned to love it and never gave it my undying devotion like they were hoping. The fact they even lied to me to try and get me interested showed me what dishonorable people they really were, and always will be.

If the child is really interested, perhaps do a trial period of a few lessons and practice. If the child is still interested after seeing what it entails, go for it but if not, let it go. Wanting to shows the child wants to try things, don't scare her into not wanting to try things by forcing her to stick with something she finds she doesn't like.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

mommyofone
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jan 2006, 9:48 pm

We are going to let her try it. She picks up the words/tune to songs with only one hearing or two. She loves music. I sometimes think the only reason she wants to go to her friends house is to play their piano. :D
I hope it goes well and she continues to enjoy music because it brings her much relief/pleasure now.