The 'right' to have children and overpopulation

Page 4 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Do you support a 2 child policy for everyone?
Yes, as long as its voluntary 16%  16%  [ 6 ]
Yes, and it should be strictly enforced to prevent environmental catastrophy 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
No, people should be free to make their own reproductive choices 32%  32%  [ 12 ]
No, people who are responsible and can afford it should be free to have as many kids as they wish. Irresponsible people should not be allowed to have children (with 'rights' come responsibilities) 24%  24%  [ 9 ]
Two children is too many - a one child policy should be imposed, and more rewards for the childless 16%  16%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 38

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 1:49 pm

I'm too lazy to read through this whole thread right now, but yeah, I support some kind of restriction. A test would be AWESOME. And of course, if you fail, you'd be allowed to study up, fix up your life and take it again later.
Or if that's too extreme, (I know some people would go batsh*t, even though all it really means is that they'd have to put a reasonable amount of effort into parenting) perhaps heavy taxes on child #3 onward (only on children conceived after the restriction was put in place, of course) would be reasonable.
And perhaps if more doctors/etc would promote the option of adoption and contraception, (instead of making it nearly impossible for a young person to get sterilized or even get an IUD like they do now) that would help a lot too. I personally can't see why someone WOULDN'T choose adoption. I mean, you get to pick out your own kid, and you don't have to suffer through 9 months of crap! Sounds like a fantastic deal to me. I wouldn't roll a die to choose a DOG, why would I take a chance like that on a kid?

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2009, 3:58 am

I voted "two is too many".

Human overpopulation is the biggest threat to human survival and the survival of life on earth.

I am "pro" global one-child policy, identifying people who recklessly father/mother unwanted children without taking responsibility for them or parenting them, and punishing said people in some appropriate way.

I am also pro static-state economy, and would accept switching to a two-child policy after 2-3 generations.