Sign the petition - calling on Dr. Tony Attwood and Dr.....

Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Age: 64
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,258
Location: Cyberspace, New Zealand

19 Apr 2009, 8:22 am

Sign the petition http://blog.markfoster.name/2009/04/18/ ... -petition/ , First para from petition wording: "calling on Dr. Tony Attwood and Dr. Isabelle Hénault, two respected experts in the world of Autism, to disassociate themselves from hate groups promoting stereotypes and libels that seek to encourage discrimination against Autistic people in family law and relationships. We in the disability community have long suffered from many forms of discrimination, stereotyping and discrimination. Historically, one of the most pervasive forms of this type of discrimination has come from those who use stereotypes and psuedo-science to try and deprive us of one of the most common ways of expressing membership in the human community - the right to have a family, to marry and to raise children on an equal basis with any other citizen. The eugenics movement is one of the most well known examples of this dangerous and unethical means of discriminating against people with disabilities, as is the related idea that disabled people are inherently unfit as spouses or parents. In the name of these kinds of stereotypes, people with disabilities have been deprived of parental rights and discriminated against in divorce and child custody cases for generations. In the Autistic community, we face opponents who seek to propogate these same forms of hatred, often claiming to do so either for our own good or wrapped in the guise of the same types of false science that justified the involuntary sterilization of hundreds of thousands of individuals worldwide who were deemed unfit to raise children.......... (see link for more)"

My comment:
My thought AUTISTIC just a word, but for some reason when ever I mention that word I get looked at like an alien - what is wrong with the word autism, autistic if you ask me years of wrong stereo typing and the only way to change that is for us all to speak out, be heard and remind people we are as different and diverse on the autism spectrum as those that are not!


_________________
Face Book "Alyson Fiona Bradley "


Last edited by asplanet on 20 Apr 2009, 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 898
Location: Netherlands

19 Apr 2009, 8:41 am

There are people with autism I would not like to see have children. But the problem with these people is, that they are not only suffering from autism. They have other conditions, that are not being mentioned or noticed by most. The problem is that the debate is vague, because of the problem of definitions.

My opinion is that autism should not be the sole dis qualifier for having children, other factors should be seen as well. But by signing petitions like these my fear is that people with multiple conditions will feel themselves strengthened to take children anyway; I have seen too many children in the system because of parents with multiple conditions.



faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 681

19 Apr 2009, 11:47 am

Thanks asplanet for bringing the petition to attention! I've passed it along. I'm noticing that many on the autism spectrum (maybe all?) are not noticing the subtle ways I think we're contributing to the wrong attitude being held against us.

For example, you've said,

asplanet wrote:
We in the disability community have long suffered from many forms of discrimination, stereotyping and discrimination.


Here's what I say about Asperger's Syndrome: AS not a disease, disability, handicap, or disorder. However, since society would like it to be those things, society’s power (from its division of financial strength) enables this delusion rather than removing it.

I am not saying that Aspies might not have disabilities. What I hope to point out is that anyone --- no matter what neuro type he may be --- can have a disability.

If the NT culture can label us as being not in order (disordered), then we equally can say the same about them. By our acceptance of the word 'disorder' attached to Asperger's syndrome, we are telling them we agree that they are superior.


_________________
"Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?" declares the LORD. "This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word." – Isaiah 66:2


asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Age: 64
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,258
Location: Cyberspace, New Zealand

20 Apr 2009, 8:51 pm

faithfilly wrote:
Thanks asplanet for bringing the petition to attention! I've passed it along.
For example, you've said,
asplanet wrote:
We in the disability community have long suffered from many forms of discrimination, stereotyping and discrimination.


If the NT culture can label us as being not in order (disordered), then we equally can say the same about them. By our acceptance of the word 'disorder' attached to Asperger's syndrome, we are telling them we agree that they are superior.


I did not write that, its the first para of the petition and I agree with you I feel the D should be difference, we are simply different and feel its about time people focus on how able we are, as everyone has strengths and weakness, and can all be able or disabled in many ways... irgorance disables other not on the spectrum seeing what able individuals we are :alien:

a poll I started early today http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt97031.html


_________________
Face Book "Alyson Fiona Bradley "


westernwild
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 288
Location: The wild, wild West

23 Apr 2009, 11:03 pm

faithfilly wrote:
Thanks asplanet for bringing the petition to attention! I've passed it along. I'm noticing that many on the autism spectrum (maybe all?) are not noticing the subtle ways I think we're contributing to the wrong attitude being held against us.

For example, you've said,
asplanet wrote:
We in the disability community have long suffered from many forms of discrimination, stereotyping and discrimination.


Here's what I say about Asperger's Syndrome: AS not a disease, disability, handicap, or disorder. However, since society would like it to be those things, society’s power (from its division of financial strength) enables this delusion rather than removing it.

I am not saying that Aspies might not have disabilities. What I hope to point out is that anyone --- no matter what neuro type he may be --- can have a disability.

If the NT culture can label us as being not in order (disordered), then we equally can say the same about them. By our acceptance of the word 'disorder' attached to Asperger's syndrome, we are telling them we agree that they are superior.


I totally agree, and I continually fight against AS being called a disorder, disease, disability, etc. The main reason it's any of those is because the society at large refuses to accept and tolerate differences in ways of thought and perception. I call it "neuroconformity" and the increasing demands for neuroconformity must be dealt with and curtailed.


_________________
Queen of the anti-FAAAS. FAAAS does NOT speak for me and many other families!!

Life is not about waiting out storms, but learning to dance in the rain-Anonymous


westernwild
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 288
Location: The wild, wild West

23 Apr 2009, 11:04 pm

Thanks for posting this and I will gladly sign it. FAAAS and similar hate groups are doing incalculable damage to aspies every day and any "professional" who associates with them should be held to account for it. I'm very disappointed that Tony Atwood even buys into any of their BS, much less associates himself with it.


_________________
Queen of the anti-FAAAS. FAAAS does NOT speak for me and many other families!!

Life is not about waiting out storms, but learning to dance in the rain-Anonymous


CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Age: 72
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,656
Location: West of the Great Divide

24 Apr 2009, 9:41 am

I definitely agree that it's a problem, but I can't see a petition doing any good.

If Tony Baloney had any concern at all about the difficulties aspies face in life and any desire at all to make our lives better, would he have spent even thirty seconds thinking about supporting FAAAS?

Would it have taken him thirty seconds to realize he had a moral and ethical obligation to use his influence to oppose FAAAS?

Like aspies don't already have enough problems?

It doesn't take a PhD to figure out that aspies in family court and family judgment matters have the same problems that an aspie would face in any form of court.

Courts judge people by their ability to make impressions through non-verbal means. They talk about evidence, but if evidence was all that was involved, they could save huge amounts of money by doing the whole process online. Hell, current feminist law says fathers can do parenting online. It really says that.

It was very difficult to get a jury to convict Ted Bundy despite the fact that the evidence against him was overwhelming, because he had such a likable personality. Being an aspie is the opposite of being Ted Bundy.

I can't believe Tony Baloney is too dumb to figure this out. I think he knows exactly what he's doing, advancing his career at our expense.

I think a boycott of his books and seminars and public denunciations would be more effective. If he shows up anywhere near here, I'll be outside the front door holding a sign.


_________________
They murdered boys in Mississippi. They shot Medgar in the back.
Did you say that wasn't proper? Did you march out on the track?
You were quiet, just like mice. And now you say that we're not nice.
Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina


westernwild
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 288
Location: The wild, wild West

24 Apr 2009, 12:12 pm

CanyonWind wrote:
I definitely agree that it's a problem, but I can't see a petition doing any good.

If Tony Baloney had any concern at all about the difficulties aspies face in life and any desire at all to make our lives better, would he have spent even thirty seconds thinking about supporting FAAAS?

Would it have taken him thirty seconds to realize he had a moral and ethical obligation to use his influence to oppose FAAAS?

Like aspies don't already have enough problems?

It doesn't take a PhD to figure out that aspies in family court and family judgment matters have the same problems that an aspie would face in any form of court.

Courts judge people by their ability to make impressions through non-verbal means. They talk about evidence, but if evidence was all that was involved, they could save huge amounts of money by doing the whole process online. Hell, current feminist law says fathers can do parenting online. It really says that.

It was very difficult to get a jury to convict Ted Bundy despite the fact that the evidence against him was overwhelming, because he had such a likable personality. Being an aspie is the opposite of being Ted Bundy.

I can't believe Tony Baloney is too dumb to figure this out. I think he knows exactly what he's doing, advancing his career at our expense.

I think a boycott of his books and seminars and public denunciations would be more effective. If he shows up anywhere near here, I'll be outside the front door holding a sign.


Very good points, I agree. And being in the legal field, I know that they can talk all they want about justice being blind and only going by the evidence and everyone's equal, etc., etc., blahblah, but that just isn't the case in reality. It's unfortunate but true. People are judged on things over which they have no control, and very unfairly judged. Judges, attorneys and juries have their own biases and prejudices and misperceptions like everyone else does.

And I agree that a boycott of Atwood, along with flooding him with letters and emails, would do far more good than a petition, even though I agree with the premise and purpose of this petition and will be happy to sign it. He has sold himself out at the expense of the very people he's claiming to want to use his "expertise" to "help."


_________________
Queen of the anti-FAAAS. FAAAS does NOT speak for me and many other families!!

Life is not about waiting out storms, but learning to dance in the rain-Anonymous


aneeman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 33

28 Apr 2009, 11:57 am

CanyonWind wrote:
I definitely agree that it's a problem, but I can't see a petition doing any good.
I think a boycott of his books and seminars and public denunciations would be more effective. If he shows up anywhere near here, I'll be outside the front door holding a sign.


That's in the works too. He'll be in the US this summer and we have his speaking schedule. Where in the country are you?



opal
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,118
Location: Australia

29 Apr 2009, 2:24 am

Signed :D



sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Age: 69
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,313
Location: The Castle of Shock and Awe-tism

29 Apr 2009, 11:42 am

Past expiry date topic

Mark Foster's blog has expired, so signing is no longer an option. :roll:


_________________
Radiant Aspergian
Awe-Tistic Whirlwind

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo


aneeman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 33

29 Apr 2009, 9:08 pm

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/AttwoodHenault/

No, it's not. The petition can be signed at the link above.



beau99
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Nov 2007
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,406
Location: PHX

29 Apr 2009, 11:27 pm

I hope you realize that online petitions do not work.


_________________
Agender person.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar


asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Age: 64
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,258
Location: Cyberspace, New Zealand

29 Apr 2009, 11:49 pm

beau99 wrote:
I hope you realize that online petitions do not work.

Help or not they get as discussing things that matter and I do feel if people get enough signatures it has to have some impact, somewhere... well like to think anyway...


_________________
Face Book "Alyson Fiona Bradley "


aneeman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 33

30 Apr 2009, 1:31 am

beau99 wrote:
I hope you realize that online petitions do not work.


If they represent the totality of the effort, that would certainly be true, Beau. Fortunately, we're also encouraging direct e-mails to Attwood and, more importantly, we're preparing to have Autistic adults confront him about this issue on his upcoming speaking tour of the United States and United Kingdom. The petition is simply a mechanism to lay the groundwork for that and educate and publicize this issue within our own community. Sometimes, the community-building component of an advocacy campaign is almost as important as (and, in fact, part of) the systems change component.



CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Age: 72
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,656
Location: West of the Great Divide

30 Apr 2009, 1:27 pm

aneeman wrote:
That's in the works too. He'll be in the US this summer and we have his speaking schedule. Where in the country are you?


It wouldn't be a good idea for me to post any personally identifiable information on the internet, since Tony Attwood's friends have complete control over my children and they have zero respect for the rights of aspies and even less conscience.

It's very effective using the love humans have for their children as a means of blackmail.

Maybe you could post his upcoming appearances here, so human beings who believe in gender equality and the rights of aspies could express their views.

Tony Attwood has unambiguously proven that he supports hate crimes against us, but I'm sure that he considers his income and his reputation to be essential moral concerns.


_________________
They murdered boys in Mississippi. They shot Medgar in the back.
Did you say that wasn't proper? Did you march out on the track?
You were quiet, just like mice. And now you say that we're not nice.
Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina