Finishing each other's sentences

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Gliesen_Antrho
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 9 Dec 2008
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 73

21 Apr 2009, 1:17 pm

Why is this considerd so great anyway? What is so romantic about a failure to grasp basic grammer? If someone did that to me I would be very annoyed. I'm perfectly capabale of forming a sentence, thank you.
If people feel the need to have things repeated back to them and hear half-spawned drivel to complete, why don't they just buy a parrot?



Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,193
Location: West Yorkshire, England

21 Apr 2009, 3:57 pm

^^ May I please ask Gliesen, what do you perhaps mean? I am very sorry, however I am rather confused by your final sentence. I believe I do sometimes attempt to guess sentenes, however I perhaps feel this is a magical game for myself, and I am very sorry if I offend anyone. Also, it sometimes appears that an individual is struggling to find a word, and I may ask them if they intend to speak a particular word.



TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2009
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 306
Location: UK

21 Apr 2009, 4:22 pm

I think the general view is something like "isn't it great we understand each other so well we can predict what we're going to say"



JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,463

21 Apr 2009, 5:42 pm

TheKingsRaven wrote:
I think the general view is something like "isn't it great we understand each other so well we can predict what we're going to say"


This. It's not 'I'm too dumb to finish my sentence but my lover does it for me, ROFFLE.'



msinglynx
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2008
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 274
Location: Albuquerque, NM

21 Apr 2009, 5:45 pm

it would be creepy to think so alike-ly.
I like my private, odd way of understanding things & comunicating, but I do not mind someone offering me a word when I can not think of just the right one.


_________________
"becuz finding joy doesnt come without struggle; becuz the point IS to find it; becuz if an autistic person calls autism a way of being, not an illness, then it is; becuz every human has a value & is a joy; becuz despite inhumane acts, I believe


Gliesen_Antrho
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 9 Dec 2008
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 73

21 Apr 2009, 6:10 pm

My last sentence was an attempt at humor, refrencing the fact that parrots repeat words and phrases.

Quote:

Quote:
I believe I do sometimes attempt to guess sentenes, however I perhaps feel this is a magical game for myself, and I am very sorry if I offend anyone. Also, it sometimes appears that an individual is struggling to find a word, and I may ask them if they intend to speak a particular word.


Not quite what I meant, there is nothing wrong with seeking clarification as far as I am concerened. It is when one person announces what another will say before they say it, it seems to be held in high regard by NTs.

E.g.

Person A "What a beautiful.."
Person B "Day, it is today, why we ought"
A "To go for a walk"

It drives me bonkers.:)



ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,157
Location: New Jersey

21 Apr 2009, 8:21 pm

Gliesen_Antrho wrote:
E.g.

Person A "What a beautiful.."
Person B "Day, it is today, why we ought"
A "To go for a walk"

It drives me bonkers.:)


That made me think of bynars from star trek tng...
Image



JennaJ
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 28 Dec 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 117

21 Apr 2009, 11:09 pm

Gliesen_Antrho wrote:
Why is this considerd so great anyway? What is so romantic about a failure to grasp basic grammer? If someone did that to me I would be very annoyed. I'm perfectly capabale of forming a sentence, thank you.
If people feel the need to have things repeated back to them and hear half-spawned drivel to complete, why don't they just buy a parrot?


I don't think the saying actually means you need a partner to finish your sentences. It is simply a way to describe that you are in fact so in tune with that person that they COULD finish your sentences because they know you so well...not that they really do or that you need them to.

And i don't think this is a requirement or the only indicator of chemistry. But it can indicate being in tune with your lover...and some people just simply acquire this trait after being with someone long enough.

It's just all about being in tune with the person you are dating or married to. I don't know of any couple that actually DOES this they might just know in their minds what the other person will end their sentence with and it gives them satisfaction feeling they know him or her that well.

I probably know how my b/f and even ex's would finish a sentence but i'd never be so annoying as to actually finish it for them. That to me is a sign of speaking over top a person and not very romantic> LOL We have all probably had that one friend in our life who constantly finished people's sentences for them, and sometimes or mostly got it wrong. It isn't romantic it is irritating. LOL



JennaJ
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 28 Dec 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 117

21 Apr 2009, 11:12 pm

TheKingsRaven wrote:
I think the general view is something like "isn't it great we understand each other so well we can predict what we're going to say"


Yea same thing i was trying to say, you just summed it up quicker. LOL



Legato
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 822

22 Apr 2009, 1:29 am

I often stumble over my sentences. Well.. more accurately, I sometimes stop in the middle of a great sentence because I forget words. If someone demonstrates that they knew what I was talk about, or at least that they are interested enough to give it a shot while I'm struggling, I feel pleased.



Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jan 2009
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,562
Location: New England

22 Apr 2009, 9:57 am

There was a Seinfeld episode about a women like that. I personally would be very annoyed by it, much like that episode showed.



msinglynx
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2008
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 274
Location: Albuquerque, NM

22 Apr 2009, 6:57 pm

Legato wrote:
I often stumble over my sentences. Well.. more accurately, I sometimes stop in the middle of a great sentence because I forget words. If someone demonstrates that they knew what I was talk about, or at least that they are interested enough to give it a shot while I'm struggling, I feel pleased.


yes! me also, I feel like I am not chattering obnoxiously into a void of sound, becuz it shows the other person is interested in what I'm trying to say, even if I'm saying it wrong!


_________________
"becuz finding joy doesnt come without struggle; becuz the point IS to find it; becuz if an autistic person calls autism a way of being, not an illness, then it is; becuz every human has a value & is a joy; becuz despite inhumane acts, I believe


SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,058
Location: Ohio, USA

22 Apr 2009, 11:10 pm

JennaJ wrote:
Gliesen_Antrho wrote:
Why is this considerd so great anyway? What is so romantic about a failure to grasp basic grammer? If someone did that to me I would be very annoyed. I'm perfectly capabale of forming a sentence, thank you.
If people feel the need to have things repeated back to them and hear half-spawned drivel to complete, why don't they just buy a parrot?


I don't think the saying actually means you need a partner to finish your sentences. It is simply a way to describe that you are in fact so in tune with that person that they COULD finish your sentences because they know you so well...not that they really do or that you need them to.

And i don't think this is a requirement or the only indicator of chemistry. But it can indicate being in tune with your lover...and some people just simply acquire this trait after being with someone long enough.

It's just all about being in tune with the person you are dating or married to. I don't know of any couple that actually DOES this they might just know in their minds what the other person will end their sentence with and it gives them satisfaction feeling they know him or her that well.

I probably know how my b/f and even ex's would finish a sentence but i'd never be so annoying as to actually finish it for them. That to me is a sign of speaking over top a person and not very romantic> LOL We have all probably had that one friend in our life who constantly finished people's sentences for them, and sometimes or mostly got it wrong. It isn't romantic it is irritating. LOL


To me, it sounds like the OP is more annoyed by others interupting, or dominating the conversation.

Anyways, I know a girl that I consider a soulmate. There are many coincidences between us, in that we think alike, act alike, and have many shared experiences between the two of us. We finish each other's sentances alot, and we have what I call telepathy between us, in that a lot of times I will be thinking of someting, and she'll say exactly what I was thinking and vice versa.

We never really talked about this to each other, but sometimes, I think it kinda freaked her out, as well as amaze her. I haven't talked to her for a couple months.