what is your opinion of cops?
Good opinion 50%  50%  [ 34 ]
negative opinion 50%  50%  [ 34 ]
Total votes : 68

aspieguy101
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2009, 6:10 pm

I don't like them too much but that's just me. It almost seems like they've become bullies. Even in the USA now.

Master_Shake
Toucan
Toucan

24 Apr 2009, 6:15 pm

Cops killed my brother.

aspieguy101
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2009, 6:17 pm

Master_Shake wrote:
Cops killed my brother.

Wow. I'm so sorry.

StewartMango
Toucan
Toucan

09 May 2009, 1:25 pm

Some cops can be mean and some can be nice, I met some cool cops, you shouldn't hate the cops, mostly the people who call the cops on you, cops are just doing their job to feed their families.

www.stewartmango.com

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2009, 4:35 pm

As others have stated, it all depends on the cop. I've known both extremely nice cops and extremely nasty cops. We've also had our share of cop neighbors (four different cops to be exact). Three have been great and one cop was so bad, he was actually arrested! The only other really bad cop I knew was this one a few years ago claiming he "had dealt with me before", that I was "an idiot", and loved scaring me to death and screaming in my face. He made the worst of cops look like angels... Luckily, I have not seen him since then. Otherwise, cops and I get along great. The security cops at schools have always taken a liking to me and we're good friends with the cop who moved in next door. He even helps take care of our lawn bordering his lawn! So yeah, I think I've made my point here. :wink:

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 May 2009, 6:44 pm

One of my cousins is a New York City policeman. 20 years ago I used to ride with the Blue Knights when I
was in the Camel Head Motorcycle Touring Club in Queens, NY. Here in York, PA, I have been seeing and hearing too many incidents of misconduct among the police and many I suspect are using performance enhancers. They keep getting bigger and beefier every time I see them.

Bluestocking
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 May 2009, 4:16 pm

I have an extremely low opinion of cops. I've noticed here in my town, they tend to go after Aboriginal drivers a lot more than they do white drivers, and are really violent with people over the littlest things.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 5:05 pm

I've gotten along pretty well with cops, and some of my friends are former police officers. I do realize that there are bad cops out there, but most I've encountered have been decent, and are only trying to feed their families.

Jkid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2009, 8:17 pm

They do a good job, they just need to get out of their cars and actually walk their patrols. Everytime I got to the UK I see at least one car patrol or police constables on their beat. In America, they're stuck behind their cars. There are plenty of walkable areas in every city, even at my university, they just need to get out of their cars more.

kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 1:16 am

I think it very much depends on the cop. I try to avoid making broad generalizations about groups of people. There's good cops and there's bad cops. Just like with any other job.

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 5:50 am

I know several cops personally, and they're some of the coolest people I know. They're just normal people doing jobs like the rest of us.

As for my experiences with other cops, I've encountered nice ones and rude ones. The rude ones have always seemed to be on power trips - letting their authority bring out their inner douche bag. :wink:

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

12 May 2009, 8:37 pm

I've had some bad experiences with police but I'm not going to judge all cops because of that. I've also met some really nice ones who helped me & my family a great deal when my mum had an abusive partner. Over all, there are good & bad people in every profession.

JohnnyCarcinogen
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 10:04 am

aspieguy101 wrote:
I don't like them too much but that's just me. It almost seems like they've become bullies. Even in the USA now.

Cops are human, just like the rest of us, leaving them to make mistakes and huge errors. There is no way that this can be avoided without major overhauls to the system.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 3:37 pm

richie wrote:
One of my cousins is a New York City policeman. 20 years ago I used to ride with the Blue Knights when I
was in the Camel Head Motorcycle Touring Club in Queens, NY. Here in York, PA, I have been seeing and hearing too many incidents of misconduct among the police and many I suspect are using performance enhancers. They keep getting bigger and beefier every time I see them.

There seems to be a huge problem with steroid abuse among American cops. When a male is pumped on roids, he is quick to anger and escalates a situation until he is just pounding the other guy's head into the pavement, and he literally can't stop himself until the guy is pink pulp. Police nowadays pull guns on innocent people, and black people are always being beaten horribly. I've heard stories where a cop will pull a gun on an innocent driver and be so enraged from the roids that's he's shaking and roaring like a demonic beast, and then the roids will wear off and he'll let the now shot or bruised citizen go. I'm honestly terrified of cops, especially the modern versions that are pumped on dope. I could handle the condescending cops of my youth, but a roid raged cop I can't handle, because I'm not very big and some of these guys could literally rip my head off. I heard of one cop trying to get some innocent dude he pulled over to admit to meth use, and he put a gun to the guy's head and pulled the trigger, but the gun was empty, then he said he had a real one for him, and finally let him go. That's the sociopath cop, and they are relatively few. The departments are trying better ways to screen out the sociopaths. Steroids get in under the radar.

ardea_rising
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 May 2009, 8:18 pm

I can not vote as I have had mixed experiences with the Police, it is easier for me to remember the bad ones as i still have the scars from when i was violently arrested in my own home. He was one them arrogant hard men types, a not in uniform detective who initially accused me of a crime that i did not commit, he got angry when i corrected him on my crime. Obviously i had no choice but to come with him but i hate been cuffed, the last two times, and the only two times i was ever arrested they did not cuff me. I told him i would come to the station but there is no need to cuff me but he was not in the mood to compromise, he grabbed me by the throat and violently threw me across the room. The scars i got from this incident were not from that but from when he grabbed my arm so the other officer could cuff me, he squeezed and dug his nails into my arm like a little girl. But this distracted him from reading me my rights so even if it went to court there would be nothing they could do but i was released without charge. The officer who arrested me on the other two occasions though can cuff me any day of the week if you know what i mean :wink: but i can not talk about that case, it is to personal.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 8:57 pm

I have a pretty positive opinion of cops since there have been times I have been followed/harassed and I knew where one was stationed, or they happen to be driving in my area. Maybe I see them differently because I am a girl who wants to get home safely.