Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 8:15 am

I guess most people would regard me as boring, uninteresting. I do just about everything on my own and I have little human contact outside my family. So what do other 24 year olds do? I am supposed to be part of the younger generation, but there is nothing 'young' about me. What I mean is I am not your stereotypical young adult who sees himself as having no limitations, and goes through life with reckless abandon. A fairly narrow minded way at looking at my peers you may say, but isn't that the way most younger people aspire to be these days?

No I am not cool or hip or anything remotely considered socially glorifying. So given your age group, how do you compare to your peers? In general would you consider yourself young, care free and hip, cool (whatever words you want to use)? Or perhaps not?

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 8:24 am

late teens-mid 20's is my age group. my friends just seem to sleep around and prefer that than actual relationships. they get drunk mid-week and get extremely smashed on the weekends.
a night out drinking to me is 4-6 drinks.
i would rather have a relationship than a one night stand.
i don't know if people think i'm boring. i'm quiet but people seem to like me. my mum says they like a mysterious person.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 8:40 am

Totally. (Well, I think I'm cool and hip, as what I like is cool and hip to me. :) )

I know what you mean, and pensieve probably is pointing it out with her friends. That's just silly social stuff to me that I pay no attention to other than thanking the god I don't believe in for giving me this brain.

God, I'd hate to be like normal people and do what they do in regards to such.

oppositedirection
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 8:57 am

I interact with my friends once or twice a week, including usually going to the pub on a Friday. Often it is no more than 3 or 4 drinks. We sometimes get rather drunk but its rare and crucially we don't then go and do silly things. In truth, we just talk more about what we normally talk about, that being intellectual stuff. That said, the locals of an out of the way quiet pub probably are quiet terrified when twenty or so philosophers suddenly turn up out of the blue!

I've only ever made friends from university and only made any significant number of friends when I reached post graduate, so I'm not sure what most 25 year olds do. I don't talk much but everyone seems to like me. I think this is because I sort of like everyone else for accepting me, so they in turn like me.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 9:34 am

Old and unhip...I enjoy going out and appalling people in public. I can be pretty annoying to hipsters...and non-hipsters alike....

WHen Flakey takes me and the gang out, we are like a field trip from the funny farm.
I am sorta a part of the local "arts scene" because I run a venue and perform and whatnots...but I am not close to many people..and hardly know anyone else's name.

We went to a Grand re-opening of another local arts venue where they were showing a movie. I couldn't keep my voice down and got shushed....I spilled wine on a theater seat and got repremanded by the people in the seats behind me.

I will be beating myself up about behaving badly in public all day. Tonight I am going to a gala where everyone will be dressed like clowns.....

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 9:44 am

I haven't met anyone in my age group. I sometimes I see them on TV ... I'm both younger and hipper. :wink:

oli234
Toucan
Toucan

25 Apr 2009, 9:55 am

I used to be what might be considered cool and hip, or at least I hung out with people who most certainly considered themselves cool and hip. Basically it seems to me to consist of taking lots of drugs, listening to music nobody else has heard of, and spending all you're money on going out to parties.

Anyway if you get involved with those types of crowds it can all seem pretty exciting for a while but evenutually it becomes apperant that it's only about trying to impress people and convince them of how cool you are to avoid dealing with those insecurities. I don't really regret hanging around witht these people, I had some fun times and a lot of them were good people who I still consider friends, but it's a very shallow, fickle world and I'm a lot happier being boring and just having a couple of friends.

Also efforts to seem cool often result in people being very stupid. Case in point I went round to one of those old friends houses not so long ago, on a saturday afternoon, to see if they wanted to do something. They'd been up all night and were in the kitchen trying to turn coke into crack using baking soda, just so they could tell people how funny and daring they are.

People who understand there not cool are much more sensible

Jamin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Apr 2009, 9:59 am

I'm Old and Hip. 8)

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 11:12 am

People are still using the word hip? Good god...

Jamin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Apr 2009, 11:19 am

Prosser wrote:

OhYessssss........

Hip Hip Hip.

:D

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 11:48 am

I've always been completely apathetic about trying to appear hip. I'd feel emberassed to even try because it's just so not me to care about that sort of thing. In fact my parents picked out most of the clothes I own. That's how little I care.

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 11:50 am

Jamin wrote:
Prosser wrote:

OhYessssss........

Hip Hip Hip.

:D

:evil:

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 12:18 pm

I'm young (duh 16) but I wouldn't say "hip". I don't go out in the middle of the night getting pissed and throwing up like my dumb peers do. And I don't wear stupid clothes everyone else wears I just wear my same old worn out tshirts with boys hairstyles and I don't care. And I would much rather talk about the latest internets fad/memes or something nerdy like that than "celebrities". And I also listen to alot of oldish, classical or celtic music instead of Akon crap.

Jamin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Apr 2009, 12:25 pm

MONKEY wrote:
I don't go out in the middle of the night getting pissed and throwing up like my dumb peers do. And I don't wear stupid clothes everyone else wears I just wear my same old worn out tshirts with boys hairstyles and I don't care. And I would much rather talk about the latest internets fad/memes or something nerdy like that than "celebrities". And I also listen to alot of oldish, classical or celtic music instead of Akon crap.

You're Hip then! :D

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2009, 12:28 pm

I'm 17 and definitely not 'hip'. Most of my peers go around getting drunk/stoned at parties and consequently making fools of themselves, which I've never done. I make a fool of myself enough as it is, I don't need drink to help me in that department.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 12:42 pm

What in the name of Joe McCarthy does 'hip' mean? :lol: