Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

soulecho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2011, 4:09 am

Just thought I'd show this to the rest of you. I thought it was interesting when I found it a couple of weeks ago, and it is pertinent to this topic:

Autism Blog: Autism and Gender Identity

Quote:
Noens et al. took a different approach. They tested people for autism who were referred to the Amsterdam Gender Identity Clinic.

From April 2004 to December 2007, all children and adolescents referred to the Amsterdam Gender Identity Clinic were screened for ASD features.

Their preliminary results?

Preliminary results indicate that at least 6 % of the 233 referred children and adolescents has an ASD. This percentage remains almost the same for the referrals with a confirmed Gender Idenity Disorder (GID) or Gender Identity Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified (GID-NOS) diagnosis. The group of individuals with ASD and GID (seven adults included) is heterogeneous in various respects: sex (both male and female), GID classification (GID, GID-NOS, transvestic fetishism), ASD classification (AD, Asperger syndrome, PDD-NOS), age of onset of GID (before or after puberty), and developmental trajectory (cross-sex behavior temporary or persistent).

Pretty interesting, if you ask me. 6% of people referred to the clinic had an ASD. Unlike the results from the ARC group, there appears to be similarity in the male and female subgroups.

6%—about 6x the prevalence of autism in the general public. That is worth following up on.