Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Llixgrjb
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Apr 2009, 6:39 pm

I'm scatterbrained as hell. I don't quite know how to describe it. Probably because it's been a lifelong struggle for me to form a coherent thought or think things through systematically. Years of daydreaming and obsessing (and the laziness and procrastination that follows) is taking a physical toll on me.

I feel like my mind is swathed in gauze. I feel like this energy I have is being wasted. Is there a way to channel it towards something more productive? Just now I blew my whole weekend playing a point and click adventure game instead of doing the homework that's due just a day from now. Passive-aggressive self-sabotage? This sickness is taking on more and more destructive forms...

Anyone here have any effective strategies on keeping focus and concentration -- or rather on how to "think effectively?"

oppositedirection
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 8:06 pm

Making a list helps, make it about thirty items long and do five a day.

What point and click was it? Any excuse is allowed if it was Grim Fandango. :P

Llixgrjb
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Apr 2009, 9:00 pm

oppositedirection wrote:
What point and click was it? Any excuse is allowed if it was Grim Fandango. :P

It was The Longest Journey. Grim Fandango is actually next on my to-do list.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 9:51 pm

I would like an answer to this too.;;;;; I'm sitting here playing Spider Solitaire instead of doing... EVERYTHING ELSE I should be doing. D: In k-12 school, it was a GOOD thing to goof off, but not anymore.;;;;

Writing lists does help for some things. I write all the major things I have to do on my hand in permanent marker. I do them just so I don't have to keep re-writing them after they start to fade. XD

Going to a coffee shop is the thing I've found most helpful so far for getting myself to do HW and stuff like that because it gets me away from computer games, LOL. It also makes me self-conscious so I try to look busy by actually BEING busy, and I don't get bored because I can always eavesdrop on the other people while I work. Music helps too.

Maybe you have to figure out the things that make you work efficiently, and find an environment where they all come together. Hopefully, it won't be a place where you have to pay $4 for coffee every time you go. XD