Rok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2009, 10:33 pm

jemir1234 wrote:
-Autistic people don't have emotions
-Autistic people have overaverage intelligence and excell in math and science
-Autistic children have obsesions with trains and dinosaurs
-Autistic children stare at ceiling fans and have an obsession with closing doors

Haven't you ever seen Rose Red? Clearly autistics have obsessions with dollhouses too for girls.

In all seriousness, I too have noticed people use those stereotypes and it pisses me off to no end. I just love how they assume they know what the autistic is thinking and why they think it. I mean clearly autistics must be mindless robots from outer space in their eyes.

Johnklok
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 May 2009, 5:48 am

JmackonDeck wrote:
I hate autism stereotypes. I have asperger's. Just because I am obsessed with several topics, does not mean that I won't every settle down on one thing. And BLACK PEOPLE CAN HAVE ASPERGER'S!

Do people really think you personally can't have asperger's syndrome because you're black....that's pitiful. Makes me wonder about how much people misinterpret me even more because I'm not fully white...

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 8:21 am

Johnklok wrote:
JmackonDeck wrote:
I hate autism stereotypes. I have asperger's. Just because I am obsessed with several topics, does not mean that I won't every settle down on one thing. And BLACK PEOPLE CAN HAVE ASPERGER'S!

Do people really think you personally can't have asperger's syndrome because you're black....that's pitiful. Makes me wonder about how much people misinterpret me even more because I'm not fully white...

I think he was frustrated over the stereotype that black people can't have AS.

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2009, 12:05 pm

Henriksson wrote:
I hate that stereotype that we're obsessed with trains. I mean, trains?
Hahaha, that just made my day. :P

Once I was watching this satirical comedy program and this guy was talking about cows with autism (I don't get why, I wasn't really paying attention) and he did this impression;

"I am an excellent driver." in a Steven Hawking computer voice.

It made me feel really...weird, cause I'd never say anything like that, and there are actually AS people who have a skewed sense of direction and/or poor hand-eye co-ordination, so how does that represent us at all?
:?

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 12:28 pm

but who IS on first? :(

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 4:04 pm

Henriksson wrote:
I think he was frustrated over the stereotype that black people can't have AS.

The ass-tard who stalked me for years, kept calling my home etc and spent his entire life trying to find me on different internet communities, was black and diagnosed with AS.

This is completely unconfirmed but I read somewhere that somalians have a higher rate of autistic people than other africans. My stalker wasn't somalian btw but I've met some other people from that country with really weird behaviour, so maybe there's some truth in it.

jemir1234
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2009, 4:33 pm

I'm black. the reason why Black people dont get diagnosed is the fact that there are not enough males diagnosed in the first place who are black. You need autistic males to have more autistic females. If there werent any autistic males there would probably be no autistic females because males are 4:1 ratio.
Now Black autistic boys are seen as defiant, slow, ret*d, or other bahavioral problems such as adhd. Autism is a disorder that people feel sympathy torwards. I'm sorry to say it, but not too many people in the world feel sympathy torwards african americans, in general african american males. African American males are seen as the most intimidating people on earth.
All autistic people can be:
-defiant torward authority
-have meltdowns, tantrums, get extremely angry
-have learning problems
-come off as smart asses when they are really being literal.

Put all of these traits into a young black man, and what do you get.

You get an ignorant black boy as NTs like to call it.
His meltdowns are seen as angry defiant behavior along with the smart allic attitude that appears from being literal. and without diagnosis of autism, his learning problem never imrpoves, so he is put ito special ed as adhd or slow.

Black Men are never viewed as shy and timid. They are viewed as tough, rough, ignorant, dumb, dominant, womanizing, get all the girls men. This can cause a black boy with asperger's who are none of these things (Most black men arent anyways its just a stereotype) to feel insecure and not sure of how to act. Therefore his life is more miserable. and he is constantly teased by his black peers for being too "WHITE" or "GAY" ...trust me I've been called these things. and he ends with a depressed life, and eventually tries to fit in, or tries to fit the black stereotype to feel better, but finds out thats not what he wants to be.

If you cant get men to be diagnosed out of a certain social group, what makes you think women will be diagnosed as well. No there are so few black women diagnosed with autism because there are so few black men, all because people dont take time to notice the problems whenn they are younger, and dont care, because many people dont care about black kids.

Who's fault is it. Black and White peoples. its black peoples fault for not educating themselves enough on autism, and white peoples fault for the prejudiced biased views towards the black kids that they teach.

FYI it happens to Latino kids as well.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 8:57 pm

jemir1234 wrote:
I'm sorry to say it, but not too many people in America feel sympathy torwards african americans, in general african american males. African American males are seen as the most intimidating people in the world to other Americans.

Sorry to nitpick but I felt I had to clarify, I've yet to meet anyone here who's less sympathetic towards or is more intimidated by African-Americans than they are for other Americans.

Carry on.

KirliaGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 May 2009, 5:03 pm

Bluestocking wrote:
One of the stereotypes I have come across most often is that we're all good at math. Oho, no no! :oops:

Yeah, I'm an Aspie and I am NOT gifted with math. Thank God that my Pre-Calculus teacher is a nice guy and helps my class. Actually, we're all kinda whiny... :lol:

Darian_C

28 May 2009, 12:08 am

flyingninja123 wrote:
Math was always my worst subject in school. The Stereotypes are wrong. :D

I'm kind of good at math, but it depends...
Algebra is hard...
Geometry is alien.
Calculus? WTF??!?! How do I do this?????

Pre-calc is going to be a nightmare lolz, let alone calc

Boira
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2009, 4:45 am

Stereotypes come from the people's ingnorance. Not only in Autism.
NT people need to label everything and everybody.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 6:06 pm

I can't say that I'm thrilled with the stereotypes either. I don't have a special interest, there's nothing I'm really good at and no, I am NEVER going to be an engineer. I suck at math so bad and I can hardly pass pre-algebra.

SaharaDream
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jun 2009, 10:50 am

Boira wrote:
Stereotypes come from the people's ingnorance. Not only in Autism.
NT people need to label everything and everybody.

I totally agree with you...except for that last part. By NT I assume you mean neurotypicals, right? (I'm new, can you tell? :P)

But by saying that, you're just stereotyping NTs. I mean, I'm an NT (no aspergers, no nothing) but I'm here trying to understand what Asp. is all about and what it means, what's true and what's not...so obviously I don't have the need to label "everything and everybody" because I'm not falling victim to the stereotypes and labels. Just like I'm sure there are non-NTs who label other people in other ways...just like you labelling NTs as lebellers.....:P

I don't mean to be offensive, just pointing it out! C:

Xs142

02 Jun 2009, 11:00 am

An assistant I had once got this fine line uttered about a friend with AS:
"But she can't have Asperger's, I know she has friends!"

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2009, 12:45 pm

Xs142 wrote:
An assistant I had once got this fine line uttered about a friend with AS:
"But she can't have Asperger's, I know she has friends!"
8O That's terrible!

PrincessMR1899
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2009, 8:48 pm

I don't think any of the stereotypes fit me....I HATE math! Always have lol. I'm just highly creative....REALLY vivid imagination. haha. Seriously. But obsessions with transportation (trains, busses, planes) ?! Definitely not.