Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 3:32 pm

Shadowgirl wrote:
JetLag wrote:
I know that when I look within my own heart, I can see many things wrong that need to be made right. And I know that many religious people can easily fall into the trap of using their religion to rationalize anything that they say or do. I think many people have always used there beliefs in the supernatural to justify their acts of violence and aggression.

But I also believe that atheism, which is the belief system that provides the foundation for the present world philosophy, is responsible for a lot more violence and aggression than religion. Stalin and Mao Tze Tung are just a couple of examples of atheists who have killed millions upon millions of people.

I agree. The Good Christians know that God doesn't like that.
I'm not saying this about all atheist but I have meet and heard of many that where just mean and horrible people out to destroy religion. Now again I'm not saying this about all atheist there are nice and tolerant ones out there.
The ones that destroy need to be defeated and stop them from destroying religion.
Many have killed Christians and it makes me wonder why they would want to kill people who normally do good things and hold no ill will.

you cant seriously regard stalin as an example of how "atheists are killing christians"

but IF you are, then i am entitled to sing "crusades, crusades, crusades" untill people bleed from their ears.

Crusades! Crusades, crusades crusades!

Shadowgirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 May 2009, 3:47 pm

If you read the book Jesus Freaks it tells the story if many martyrs who stood up for what they believed in to the bitter end.
Many were killed by commies.

Does God Exist? Here is proof he does.
http://www.everystudent.com/features/is ... 2godMANp2w

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 5:12 pm

The arrangement of the 10 Commandments is slightly different in Catholicism and Lutheranism to the arrangement in Judaism and in non-Lutheran Protestant denominations. Catholics and Lutherans use the arrangement devised by St Augustine in the 5th Century where the first and second commandment are combined into one (which then becomes ‘I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt not have strange gods before me; thou shalt not make to thyself any graven thing to adore it’). The tenth commandment is then split into two (‘thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife’ and ‘thy shalt not covet <other stuff>’). Some say the Catholics wanted to de-emphasize the commandment about ‘graven images’ to divert attention from all the statues they have in Catholic churches.

Just a useless bit of trivia that’s stayed with me. But ask me to recite (any version of) all 10 Commandments tomorrow and I wouldn’t be able to do it.

Fascinating Fact 2: Most people will tell you Moses received the 10 Commandments on Mount Sinai. This is true for the Exodus account. But in the Deuteronomy account he receives them on Mount Horeb.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 5:39 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
Oh, ha hahaha, omfg hahahahahh!==) jesus. i mean yes, lets decriminalize the word cracker please! ive never understood why white people were called "cracker" . how do they look like a cracker?

*CRACK!! !*

its from the whip.

a cracker.

thats why its considered kinda sensitive. i think its a fun word. white people need more racial slurs describing them :D

You might like to check out the online racial slur database: http://www.rsdb.org/

It contains over 2,600 racial slurs, including over 300 for white people.

As a white person myself, I don't feel 'left out' in that respect.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 8:26 am

ZEGH8578 wrote:

The crusades were plainly chaos
and those cristians were amost prototype models.... in fact present cristians are prototypes.

Cristianality is not perfection but the path to perfection.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2009, 2:51 am

scorpileo wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:

and those cristians were amost prototype models.... in fact present cristians are prototypes.

and those communists were amost prototype models.... in fact present communists are prototypes.

Communistality is not perfection but the path to perfection.

Yes, I'm being mean.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2009, 3:57 am

I think the ten commandments provide an excellent "template" for living a moral existence. I mean who can really say that a person who follows those principles is a bad person...

BUT the thing that is lost on Christians nowadays is the cultural contexts and customs of the time and place when the Bible was written. For example, refer to the quote below:

Shadowgirl wrote:
I can explain what they all mean

5. “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.”
Basically it says that we should love our parents. You don't have to like, but you should love. You don't have to do what they say if it hurts you, someone else, or makes you feel uncomfortable but respect them enough to say so. When parents are using good intentions, it’s best to listen.

In fact, the meaning of commandment number 5 is a reference to how when old people became senile, or sick, or generally difficult to care for, the common practice was to send them out into the desert to die.

"Honor" your father and mother, as in, care for them and don't just send them off to die in the dunes, and "your days will be long upon the land..." because if the custom is changed then it will not happen to you when you get old

The bible is littered with these misinterpretations, due to both cultural and language misunderstandings. Another example: all those people who believe that "The Beginning" of creation came at the outset of Genesis, and have traced the time frame back to pinpoint what they perceive as the exact year? Dudes, the simple word "THE", in its concrete context, did not exist in Hebrew at the time. The VERY FIRST WORDS of the Old Testament, "In the beginning", should be translated as "In A beginning"--not suggestive of the root of everything, just the root of the Biblical tale.

I won't read the Bible end to end, because I know full well that I could never understand it for what it is truly supposed to be. I'm not a Christian either, but I am an inquiring and open mind.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2009, 4:05 am

Shadowgirl wrote:
I'm not saying this about all atheist but I have meet and heard of many that where just mean and horrible people out to destroy religion. Now again I'm not saying this about all atheist there are nice and tolerant ones out there.

"Mean people"?

It was Voltaire how coined the word "Écrasez l'Infâme". Berhard Russel, Charles Darwin, George Orwell, Spinoza spoke out against religion. They are "mean people"? I would not dare to think so about Albertus Magnus - even I think he was fundamental wrong in everything.

Last edited by Dussel on 09 May 2009, 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2009, 4:20 am

PLA wrote:
scorpileo wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:

and those communists were amost prototype models.... in fact present communists are prototypes.

Communistality is not perfection but the path to perfection.

Yes, I'm being mean.

i agree communism it based on good princiables but inplemented badly.