Page 5 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 11:02 am

Philotix wrote:
Sefirato wrote:
KenM wrote:
So any word on when this will be out on DVD/ Blu Ray in the US?

It has been mentioned a few posts before you. February 15, 2010.

Actually all of the rental places like Blockbuster have received the film a month early. I picked it up at Blockbuster today and with their policy, I can just keep it and they will automatically sell it to me after the due date. So anyone that wants a copy of the film for their own, just do the same. Rent it from Blockbuster, and just keep it. :wink:

Or use the link a few posts back :wink:

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 12:38 am

I got it from blockbuster and just watched it. I thought it was pretty good. I liked some of the deleted scenes too.. I think they should have kept the one scene where him and his older friend were practicing for the interview and he says something asking about if he's supposed to put himself into a fictional situation and think about how he would feel about it even if that's not how he would really feel about it, and his friend said "yes"... Because that's kind of how we have to try to intellectually think about how someone else might feel about something, since we don't do it instinctually. That's exactly what it's felt like to me, anyway. His sudden meltdowns from people saying certain things remind me a lot of how i can sometimes react to things.. Although the lying wouldn't have bothered me as much.. Perhaps it's because he's been more sheltered.. I don't really like that whole stereotype that autistic people can't lie, though. I think he seemed to have a harder time with taking stuff literally than i do, too. It takes me longer than a lot of people, but a lot of the kind of things that confused him were things i could have made some sense of and kept going with.. I can also understand humor better, but i would say that's probably because of all the TV i watch. Some of his "mistakes" were things that i didn't see what was really wrong with, though.. Like when he asked her dad whether or not he might go to jail.. I thought that was a perfectly good question. I do have to say that he is MUCH neater than i am. My style of "organization"(if you can even call it that) is more like Donald's house on Mozart and the Whale, ha. He's also much more put-together.. Seems to have his life in order much better than i do. I don't think i'd be able to cope by myself that well if both of my parents were suddenly gone(my mom commented "look, he's getting up for work on time BY HIMSELF" lol). And there is no way i'd ever work up enough initiative to actually go clean a neighbor's windows from the outside 8O I also really like the parts where it would show how he was focusing on something, like that spinny thing when they were having that meeting about his dad.. It seemed like something i would do, and I think the movie did a good job of showing how a little thing like that can really get an autistic person's focus. He seemed really nervous, but didn't stim nearly as much as i do.. I only noticed a few little things like a bit of rocking and stuff. Yeah. All in all, i think it was a pretty good representation of someone with asperger's.. as long as people realize that one person with asperger's could likely be that way, but all aspies are different and all have their own mix of "symptoms" with varying levels of severity with each one. I think that's usually an issue with any type of movie like this.. They can only show one individual character, but people who don't already know something about the condition that was shown often think that that one character represents everyone with the condition... I think that most aspies will find a lot to relate to in Adam, though.. Even if he is more severe in some ways and mild in others than they are.

Shadow-Fox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2010, 11:41 pm

I've not long seen this movie myself.... It was really great! If a little creepy for me! My name is Adam you see and i have Aspergers. From what i have known about aspergers i thought i wasn't the usual type of Aspergian. Until this movie that is. A fair bit of this movie matches me. All i have is my father as well... I'm almost 27 and i dont expect my father to be around for much longer at all. What would be Really creepy is if he died when i'm 29! Eeek!! 8O
My oddities and Aspergian traits are somewhat more controlled than this guy though!
It was so intense for me that i was on the edge of my seat biting my nails! Not that i'm saying this was an intense movie at all! It just was for me personally is all.
I thought the guy's acting was great! Especially seeming he didn't know anything about Aspergers beforehand.
I felt the ending was a bit cryptic... but i understood it at least! I'll say no more lest i spoil it for those who have yet to see it.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 4:55 am

Aside from the amazing performance by the lead actor, I really liked the ending. I was dreading some happy ending where the woman would "fix" him and they'd live happily ever after. Much to my joy that didn't happen and they gave me a much more satisfying ending.

Grahamy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2010, 6:13 pm

This is my review for the movie, "Adam" I watched this movie by visiting the link provided by up there, but i kept on having buffering problems, so I feel like I know a lot of lines from the movie now. So, my review won't be about the setting, but just about the movie. I heard about this movie some time ago from a support group in Fort Wayne that I take apart in. One of my peers had mentioned the movie to the group, so I knew I wanted to check it out. Because I don't drive at the moment, I have a membership with Netflix, and I can verify that at least Netflix has it, but I'm on a waiting list for it. I saw the trailer last night and couldn't resist and HAD to watch it today!

The movie is one of the most amazing films I've seen this year. I side with many others of you on the forum that part of the movie was hard to watch, because of how much I related to Adam. I will admit im not as much of a genius he is but I am very smart when it comes to electronics. I always seem to know by instinct what TV INPUT is for what. Even if its a stranger's TV, I can always seem to teach them how to use their TV properly. I even taught myself how to use Frontpage while I was building a web site for my online radio station.

This movie also reminds me of my ex. I will admit that im confused about who I am, as in orientation wise. I've had a few girlfriends and boyfriends on-line in the past. In the fall of 2007, I met this young adult who I wanted to know more about. As time passed on, we learned about each other, and talked on the phone several late nights, and he even introduced me to a couple of his friends. I also told him early on that I had a mild form of Autism and he wanted to know more. So, I knew he would completely understand me. For about three months into the relationship, he wasn't the one who lied to me. I had so much low self esteem that I made up several lies about myself because I felt like he was embarrassed by me. I look in the past now and think to myself why did I do that? We're still pretty good friends but things have been rough for me. I don't know if they're rough for him or not. I've been somewhat forced to move on and find someone else, but I'm not sure if I can.

The ending of the film left me speechless too. I agree with the above user that the ending is fine the way it is. I really wouldn't want anyone changing me. I am happy with who I am and the challenges I've faced in life. Those challenges, only make me stronger. Adam will release on DVD on Feb 2nd, 2010 according to Amazon.com but if you haven't seen it yet, I suggest renting it from Blockbuster or even Netflix.

TheMinnesotaIceman
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jan 2010, 8:42 pm

Would this be a good movie to watch with someone that you are attracted to, but who doesn't know a lot about AS? I was thinking of watching it with a female friend of mine that I am strongly attracted to. I loaned her a book on AS, which she recently started reading, but I think the film would be helpful, too. Is it a fun movie? Do you think she would enjoy it?

Grahamy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2010, 8:56 pm

I think it would help any relationship if you watched it with someone who you love and that way they can understand what you're going through.

TheMinnesotaIceman
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jan 2010, 9:13 pm

Grahamy wrote:
I think it would help any relationship if you watched it with someone who you love and that way they can understand what you're going through.

Cool. I'll pick it up when it comes out on DVD, then, and watch it with her. Thanks!

Vance
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jan 2010, 6:31 pm

I enjoyed the movie on the whole, but found Adam as a character very hard to watch at times. Some scenes felt too much like going down a checklist of Aspergers traits and needlessly exaggerating them as much as possible, while a more subtle approach could've been much more effective for me. Most of the time I couldn't work out where Beth was finding the patience for dealing with him, or why she was attracted to him in the first place when he seemed to give so little back in their relationship. I did relate quite strongly to some parts, though - the bit where Beth is knocking on his door and he can't bring himself to answer was a painfully familiar scenario, and communicated well. And the ending was spot on, I think.

Was anyone else really distracted by Adam's way of avoiding eye contact throughout? Specifically the way he almost constantly stared straight ahead, with his eyes unfocused, rather than finding something in his surroundings to focus on. I avoid eye contact just as much, but when I do it I'm always looking at things around me and like to think I at least appear to be awake. Adam, on the other hand, seemed to behave as though he was dazed and completely blind most of the time, which made it hard to believe there was much going on in his head.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 4:55 pm

I just watched this last night, having gotten it from Netflix. I don't think I would have enjoyed this at all if I were not an aspie. It made me uncomfortable to watch, and I agree with everything Vance said, particularly about how they exaggerated some of Adam's mannerisms.

That being said, it was nice that they took the time to portray AS in a sympathetic, understanding way. However, I'm not sure if it will help the general population to understand us more.

irishaspie
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2010, 9:07 pm

the ending made me really upset.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 5:14 pm

I don't think that it was all that great. It seemed something like a documentary about Asperger's Syndrome shrouded within a fictional movie.

The lead actress seemed just too perfect. No-one is that perfect. Most of the time, most of us are trying to deal with neurotypical people who are just plain nasty. If everyone were as nice as that lady, the world would be a wonderful place in which to live, and none of us would have any problems at all. But, almost no-one is that nice, the world isn't wonderful, and we have problems.

Also, I couldn't figure out exactly why the lady's father was sent to prison. The movie makes a big deal about his having committed fornication with a friend's daughter, which seems to be a common theme in 21st century films.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 5:21 pm

pandabear wrote:
Also, I couldn't figure out exactly why the lady's father was sent to prison. The movie makes a big deal about his having committed fornication with a friend's daughter, which seems to be a common theme in 21st century films.

From what I gather, I think he was sent to prison because of fraud on business accounts or something.

irishaspie
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2010, 6:17 pm

do beth and adam get back together in the end? dunno if that weas what the letter in the book implied

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Jan 2010, 6:54 pm

irishaspie wrote:
do beth and adam get back together in the end? dunno if that weas what the letter in the book implied

No - they both moved on with their lives. The last scenes showed that Adam was doing well in his new job & was getting along well with his coworkers. Maybe his relationship with Beth opened up his world a bit & made the change easier for him. The book & the note from Beth showed that she had been affected by her time with Adam & still felt warmly towards him.

After seeing this film again, I still feel that it was extremely well-done. The character of Adam is believable to me because he isn't just like me - some of his Aspie traits are more prominent & some are less prominent (just as with the other Aspies I've met in real life.) The character of Beth is also believable to me - in fact I've known women very much like her. Just because she is neuro-typical, doesn't mean that she can't be able to look past a person's idiosyncrasies (in fact, she finds many of those traits charming & refreshing.) In a couple of scenes, she alludes to having had a sheltered childhood, with few friends - so she probably identifies with those same traits she sees in Adam.

Once again, I have to commend the cinematography of this film. Pay attention to the shots where Adam is shown through a doorway, or at the edge of the screen, or out of focus. There are many subtle (& not so subtle) ways in which Adam is shown to be marginalized & set apart from the rest of the world.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 9:09 pm

Just from watching the preview, the character of Adam seems like a really nasty, creepy guy, and probably mentally ill (for reasons besides asperger's). He seems like someone I'd want to avoid at all costs in real life.

I don't know, to me I just get the impression of a film that plays up negative stereotypes for dramatic effect, showing asperger's as a crippling mental disability.

:lol: