Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 11:40 am

Lab Pet earlier finished my project on pre-synaptic transmission & plasticity, etc. Yeah! But I'm exhausted and, worse, in Interior AK (my home!) the daylightis now extreme so my circadian sleep cycle is a mess - this morning I didn't even know what day this is and I haven't slept, just in deep thought, writing/formulating/drawing.

The topic: I just looked in the mirror. My pupils are REALLY dilated. Honestly, this looks like I am drugged (not!) or.....just really strange. Often times others will tell me my eyes are dilated, which is true, they usually are slighted dilated most always. But this is extreme. I feel fine. I may have overworn my contacts some, but I took them out for several hours during last night awake.

Some others of you have written your eyes can be dilated too (don't know if there's a correlation, but anyway) - is this exacerbated by lack of sleep? Stress? Excitement over your obsession/project?

I'll need to go to laboratory soon - just wondering. But my green eyes look scary since now they're black from dilated pupils. Why?

millie
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 12:07 pm

i have no idea why, LabPet. If you find an answer let me know, as my pupils are always overly dilated and others comment on it. I do not take any medications or even drink alcohol, so it is a mystery. :?

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 1:28 pm

mine are usually normal, but when I took some pills with pseudoephedrine for my flu lately (just a regular flu!) my pupils became freaking huge! I got asked if I was high a number of times that day.

no idea why this happens when not on anything though :scratch:

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 2:23 pm

my pupils are also extremely dilated most of the time

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 2:35 pm

You didn't hit your head recently, did you? That's sometimes a sign of concussion from a head injury.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 3:00 pm

Is it possible your suffering from Brain death or Irish Potato poisoning? :lol:

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 3:01 pm

It sounds like a lack of sleep, have you tried blocking your windows
with tinfoil, I needed to do that when living in Whitehorse, couldn't
sleep without doing that.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 4:24 pm

Thanks, and probably a combination of those factor, especially sleep-deprivation from being exceedingly too busy. Ok, can rule out concussion and definitely the brain death and the Irish potato poisoning 8O

Physically, I feel ok. Probably need a nap! Yes, window blinds are definitely a must.

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2009, 4:45 pm

when i look at the light they are idk my sister noticed my eyes are like that tho it happens sometimes.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 5:46 pm

Well, it is highly unlikely that it is a concussion, as you would know by now. You would be unusually tired, and probably have a headache.

Supposedly, autistics ARE more likely to have dilated pupils, and excitement HAS been known to cause it. as for ME, my eyes can look dilated when they aren't, due to the coloring.

Oh well, maybe you can take another picture like the one where you are covering the lower part of your face. Then you'll REALLY look like a vampire! Just Kidding. :oops:

BTW don't they have good curtains around the windows, etc? You really SHOULD try to ease into a proper circadian rythm.

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 1:57 am

My eyes ALWAYS look dilated. In school I always got "What are you ON today?" I still get it randomly. :lol:

My mom STILL questions me about it when I see her. She should know by now they always appear dilated. I don't mind it - the interrogations can be entertaining.

seedub
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2009, 2:02 am

Honest answer: i think its all in your head.

(which then manifests itself as reality, so it seems real, and actually is real to you, to break it down)

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 7:48 pm

seedub wrote:
Honest answer: i think its all in your head.

(which then manifests itself as reality, so it seems real, and actually is real to you, to break it down)

No, I am an analytical being. On Wednesday a.m. when I looked in the mirror (in OP) my pupils were significantly dilated. Meaning, the green of my eyes was eclipsed by my black pupils. This is a physical reality, not my imagination. The lighting above my bath mirror are a constant, not a variable, and there is no window in the bath - light therefore was not a variable on Wednesday a.m. The diameter of the dilation was in mm; significantly unlike usual. Albeit, I DO have naturally dilated pupils, to an extent - not that drastic! About my naturally dilated pupils - not kidding. My opthalamologist has noted this as well. It's a real feature but not of any real consequence - just really odd for that Wednesday since out of the ordinary dilated!

But if you suggest 'it's in my head,' well, yes! In that my eyeballs ARE in my head.

BTW: My eyes are back to normal-dilated now - and I feel ok. I did get some rest, which may have been a precipitating factor - unknown.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 8:04 pm

I get that if I'm hyperactive, but that's probably normal, adrenaline does that.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2009, 12:21 pm

that sometimes can be a sin of sometging neurological,

maybe you should get checked out just to rule stuf out

but also it can be a side effect of some medications are you on any medications?

Im on Strattera and its mentioned as a rare but harmless side effect of strattera .

the only thing i worry about is that if im ever out and if i get a meltdown and the cops see me and then they see my eyes are dilated then they may think im taking an illegal substance.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2009, 12:53 pm

^ That is a concern, and I've wondered about that too. I have had a meltdown in my car, pulled off the road - I know what you mean. I carry a card in my wallet, explaining I'm a HFA - this is invaluable since any given police/responder cannot possibly know otherwise. I have a medic alert bracelet too.