Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

TomAdams92
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 May 2009, 5:18 pm

Does anyone here like Ambient Music of the likes of brian eno.

Its very good and very mysterious but also very calming ,i'd recommend it to anyone who loves music and has aspies or autism or whatever.

Surn
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 May 2009, 5:37 pm

I don't know who he is, but you can find a massive archive of free (and legal) ambient music on a website called Newgrounds.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/list/5

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2009, 6:31 pm

I listen ambient music on my I-tunes account. I also like hypnotic and trance music. The thing about trance music, is that I can write to it creatively for hours, often finding that hours have gone by unnoticed.

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2009, 7:18 pm

I enjoy Brian Eno's stuff, though I know more of his pop music than his ambient music. Taking Tiger Mountain and Another Green World are essential.

Llixgrjb
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2009, 7:44 pm

The nice thing about ambient or just instrumental music in general is that it involves very little of your left brain. Since you don't have to do left brain tasks like decipher dumb lyrics, your right brain, no longer hindered by its analytical counterpart, can do what it does best. Quiet the verbal centers of your mind and you will instantly be more engaged in the listening experience. But that's just my theory.

The Internet Archive (archive.org) has a lot of free high-quality ambient downloads. Just yesterday, I discovered some great stuff from a little-known Ian D Hawgood here:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query ... Hawgood%22

If you like Arvo Part or Steve Reich you might enjoy it. Gives me shivers! Not something you should listen to while operating heavy machinery.

The ambient/experimental netlabel Resting Bell makes its entire discography available for free on archive.org:

http://www.archive.org/details/restingbell

Not all are gems but it's worth the look. I recommend just looking at all of archive.org.

Have you tried listening to white noise as well? You can get these "Hemi-Sync" tracks off of BitTorrent (please obey copyright laws wink wink) The "science" behind it does not seem to be well-supported. Sounds like pop psychology/new age mumbo-jumbo trying to come off as research (like the first paragraph of this post). More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemisync

Sounds pleasant enough. You know that sound you hear when you put your ear against the window when it's raining?

Besides Brian Eno, do you listen to other artists from the ECM label? It's mostly that northern European chamber jazz but it has some late 20th century classical and ambient.

rubyjean
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 May 2009, 12:56 am

I just tried out some of that Hemi-Sync stuff and it is so soothing and relaxing. I can't thank you enough for reccomending it for me. I have been so depressed and scatter-brained lately, I really think putting this on my i-pod will do a world of wonders for my peace of mind and reclaiming my inner balance again ( not to sound too new age hippie :-) )

Thank you again, I reccomend this to everyone!! !

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2009, 6:09 pm

"Selected Ambient Works" by Aphex Twin and everything by Boards of Canada is pretty much my favourite background music, and it never gets boring. I also like Eno, and Starts of the Lid, and a few more but that's allegedly not pure ambient anymore ;)

suburban-robot
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 May 2009, 6:16 pm

Yeah Brian Eno is pretty cool, he's been doing albums with David Byrne too, what a combination!

Plaid are pretty good, if you download the stuff they did for a film called Tekkonkinkreet - its awesome, really relaxing to listen to.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2009, 3:17 am

Llixgrjb wrote:
The nice thing about ambient or just instrumental music in general is that it involves very little of your left brain. Since you don't have to do left brain tasks like decipher dumb lyrics, your right brain, no longer hindered by its analytical counterpart, can do what it does best. Quiet the verbal centers of your mind and you will instantly be more engaged in the listening experience. But that's just my theory.

Strange, I enjoy instrumental music and prefer it to engage my left side of my brain. I love engaging slightly abrasive yet strangely melodic music. Funky rhythms that grab my attention and makes me want to move... but you can't move to it... because it's too off kilter.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2009, 3:17 am

Llixgrjb wrote:

Strange, I enjoy instrumental music and prefer it to engage my left side of my brain. I love engaging slightly abrasive yet strangely melodic music. Funky rhythms that grab my attention and makes me want to move... but you can't move to it... because it's too off kilter.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

TomAdams92
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 May 2009, 10:00 am

amibient music is very pwnsome ,its good for helping people to get to sleep and claming people down. I also Listen to it while i write essays or songs or something because it creates an incredibaly creative atmosphere as an alternative to drugs.

Recommend it to anyone

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 3:46 pm

I love Brian Eno's ambient stuff. I listen to it more than anything else by far. I like ambient music in general, but I haven't really found anything I like as much as Eno's ambient albums. The nearest would probably be the Aphex Twin.

Autechre, Popol Vuh and Tangerine Dream made some great ambient tracks too IMO.

andyfalls
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 May 2009, 5:33 pm

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 5:53 pm

suburban-robot wrote:
Plaid are pretty good, if you download the stuff they did for a film called Tekkonkinkreet - its awesome, really relaxing to listen to.

nice, didn't know about that one, thx
welcome to WP