Page 6 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2009, 8:59 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
Wow. I'm sorry that happened to you, that's not a good thing to happen to anyone. Sorry I brought it up, I'm sure it's still painful to talk about...

not a problem, Roxas_XIII, we often walk into other people's hornet's nests without meaning to stir up a fuss. That is where I got the user name of 'sinsboldly' because I will rush in where angels fear to tread and never have a clue I am committing a 'social sin'.

it was along time ago, Roxas, a long time ago.
but thank you for your comforting words, I appreciate them.
Merle

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

06 Aug 2009, 11:11 am

By Christ, if there's one thing that might achieve the hitherto impossible goal of making me want to father children, this is it!

Last edited by Locustman on 12 Aug 2009, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntyjack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2009, 3:27 pm

I have another thought on this.

Normal is decided by the majority. If all of us who are not normal breed till we drop, we can produce a population where the majority veer far from today's norm. SOCIETY BELONG TO US!! !! ! We can be normal. :-)

But hey, who wants to be average. Not me.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 9:23 am

outlier wrote:
Edit: Am I the only one who finds it odd how people are making dichotomous statements saying simply that those with conditions shouldn't pass them on, while failing to take numerous factors such as degree, circumstances, even the human condition in general, into account in their arguments?

No. I was thinking the same. There is *some* genetic contribution in mental illness, but at this point, for many mental disorders, circumstances are thought to be more important. Besides, like eveyrone else, people with mental health issues can decide to reproduce or not to reproduce for their own reasons. My current symptoms are a contributing factor to why I don't want to have children (I wouldn't want to subject them to my meltdowns), but other factors (my dislike of children in general, my cynical outlook on life, etc.) are far more important, and the risk that a child would be autistic, is not among my reasons.

awmperry
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Aug 2009, 10:08 pm

I love having AS. My girlfriend - borderline, according to the AQ test - likes me having AS, and if she has it she gets on pretty well with it too. And the subject of kids has come up, and we like the idea of them having AS too, particularly now that we both know what it is and how to handle it.

So just for that ghastly columnist, I shall do my very best to produce a large quantity of ravingly AS sproglings. And they'll be bloody brilliant, too. :lol:

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 7:51 am

Just build the wall and this will all go away. She can live in her own natio, living out her eugenicist fantasies, and we won't bother her unless she starts harming people.

Go Federal Nightwatchmen!

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 8:30 am

Don't reproduce? Ha! 20 years too late in my case :lol:

And anyway, being an Aspie does not mean you cannot be a good parent. Nor does it necessarily mean that your children will have it.

And I might suggest that people like the writers of this article shouldn't reproduce. There's already enough hatred and bigotry in the world.

castalia24
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Aug 2009, 8:40 am

I personally cannot wait for my children to go: "Mum, I think I feel different to the other kids. I think I'm really.... SMART. I know the answers before the other kids, also, I am better
spoken than everybody!"

Let me tell you, if it's because of me, or because of their father, I will take us all out and rejoice.

Aspergers is not a debilitating syndrome, it's a mode of being in the world. If you have people around you who know how to handle it then there is no problem in any way shape or form.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2009, 10:16 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
(snip)
This was in 1969, I watched the moon landing while hurling from morning sickness (I remember it distinctly) and the world and attitudes were a very different place from now. I have looked for my daughter from that time to this, before the internet and online ever after, but never even a hint of a trace of her. She would be forty this year in December. I have never been able to carry a child to full term since that time, and have no idea what they might have done to me in that hospital.

People wonder why I crusade so aggressively for women's and rights for those in poverty. Perhaps their lives have been less affected than mine. My only consolation is I struggled through so others would not have the same experiences that I had.

In 1969 it was routine to sterilize the "feebleminded". The last sterilizations were done in the early 1970s. Many times women would be sterilized and not be told, and later they would find themselves unable to have kids, and go to the doctor who would then show them the x-ray with the ovaries removed. Sometimes young women who were raped were deemed "promiscuous" and were sterilized to prevent their supposedly defective genes from passing on. I always wanted to get snipped (I am male) and came close in 2008, but my mom found out and forced me to cancel at the last minute. It is just as well-I vastly overestimated my ability to get a woman to sleep with me. America has always been a hotbed of eugenics, and even today a majority of people support sterilizing "breeders".

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2009, 11:20 pm

I think that people in general should be more careful about having kids. But there is no way to determine what is "normal", what is "acceptable" and what is a "problem". People with mental illnesses or even with alternate ways of thinking, while having problems can also be a benefit to society by solving problems with novel and thus far unconsidered solutions. Many brilliant inventors, revolutionaries, mathematicians, artists, musicians, advocates, and scientists have had mental illnesses and many times their contributions are a direct result of their unusual ways of perceiving the world.

You can't determine what a child will turn out like just based off of the parents, or off of their appearance on "paper". And you can't determine the worthiness of a person based on whether or not they inconvenience the majority.

1Oryx2
Toucan
Toucan

25 Aug 2009, 12:03 am

somebody should build a time machine and tell the writer's parents not to reproduce. Then we would have been spared this crap.

Arcadian

25 Aug 2009, 12:16 am

nothing against NTs but I preffer being an aspie, and would be very proud to have an AS kid